• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

any good places to shore fish on the river south of duluth? Going to a softball tourney this weekend down at buffalo house me and my buddy wanna hit the river up never fished it and really dont care if we catch eyes, smallies, or catfish just as long as we dont get the big skunk. Any info would be great because Im not from around there but would like to catch some fish just for fun. send me a pm if you dont wanna say on here anything would be appreciated thanks and good luck

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

I would try Boyscout landing or the 23 bridge campground. Best bet for action and the closest.

Just to warn you, Becks road is closed between Hwy 35 and Grand Ave. So is 210 going through Jay Cooke I believe. You'll have to take 35 to Grand and backtrack.

Can't give you advise for river fishing since Jay Cooke/Hwy 210/Becks Road are closed, but good luck this Wknd in the tourny. We'll be the team in the Championship!

playing for angle right construction pretty much just coming up for fun although we are a solid team. Thanks for the info guys appreciate that.

Hit the riv yesterday for a few hours and found a spot that produced dump eyes. Some real nice slabs too.... Didn't keep anything but it was fun to say the least. Also had the mixed bag of perch and Rockies. No walleyes, but sturgeon were jumping and the guy Fishing with hos son next to us got into a couple nice smallies! Nice day on the river and pretty busy!

"Dump Eyes"? New exotic or what Jarrid? LOL. Let me guess. Posting with a not so smart phone? Happens to me all the time when I try to post on my phone.

Charlie Nelson and myself spent quite a few hours on the river the past few days and found some nice eyes and crappies. Went above 23 and couldnt keep the bass off our lines. WARNING! If you try to get above the 23 bridge you better know what your doing and be VERY careful. Things are very tricky up there now and the sand/gravel bars have moved around a bit. Plenty of fallen trees to zig zag around too.

If you find some better eyes stay in that area because not many areas are holding the nicer sized fish.

Exactly with the spell thingy on my phone... Ah man.. Sorry bout that. I ment crappies!

I'm heading over to the Duluth area this weekend to visit my in-laws. Since my brother-in-law has to work days this weekend I thought I might try the St. Louis from shore. They live in Esko just off of Hwy 61. I'd really like to get into some catfish since we don't have any of those around where I live. I guess I'm not sure which roads are closed in that area, but I thought I'd start out where 61 crosses the river, or down around Thompson Reservoir, and work my way north to where Hwy 2 crosses. From reading on here it doesn't sound like working my way towards Duluth would be a very good idea with all the road closures. If anyone could let me know if this is a solid plan or point me in a different direction I'd appreciate it!

Exactly with the spell thingy on my phone... Ah man.. Sorry bout that. I ment crappies!

It's ok. 'Dump' and 'C-r-a-p' are interchangable. smile

Heading up to Duluth the 14 th thru the 18th for annual fishing trip. Can one launch from Boyscout landing? How has the fishing been the last week? My sister told me that the river has changed with all of the wash out from the flooding earlier in the year. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Pretty sure you can still launch at boys put although I have not been up there as of late. I've been fishin the mid section and staying on a nice crappie bite with others thrown in.. I have been launching at Clyde. Good luck man...

Hit the riv yesterday and got busy again with crappies. Caught a few decent ones too! Also had a red horse caught by Sherpas friend, along with 2 smallies 16 and 17 inches, and 1 Walter. Nice day on the river

Boyscout is fine to use now. Crappies are starting to heat up and a few nicer eyes as well. You really have to hunt for the eyes though.

Hit the river early this am and found some walleyes and crappies willing to hit my jigs and minnow or plastics. The crappies are spread out and some are even using the new timber in the places they fell into the deeper water areas. No color was hot but the Northland Slurpies on a jig took a lot of crappies.

I hope to get out again tomorrow. Maybe hit the lake 1st for some eyes then run up river.

Interesting video I was forwarded by the TPWA. Good to here that the Sturgeon spawned naturally last year! We'll get a season out of them yet, though I may be 90 when it happens...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got out Friday for a few hours. Found some nice walleyes and crappies together in some deeper water up by water street. Got about a dozen eyes and maybe as many crappies. All jiggin plastics and a few chubs.

• 3 weeks later...

The crappies, and some dandy ones, are still biting on the river. A few walleyes in the mix as well. Seems like the crappies are starting to school up a bit more in their fall/ early winter spots. Jigs with chubs working best. Much better than using them little crappie minnows. Even has some fun with a few pike and a nice muskie.

I hate to say it but this morning may have been my last time out on the river for the soft water season. Fishing was wet but very good this am. Every place I stopped I got 2-12 crappies and a few eyes tossed in too. These fish are hungry! They all just hammered my glow white jig head with fat head minnow.

I may still get out a few more times but the winter show season is upon us and I may not get the time to.

I hope to see people from here at the Blaine Ice Show as well as the St. Paul Show at the Otter and Ice Force Booths. Come say hi.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone actually go out and try to target the eelpout run when it happens? I caught a bunch in the harbor last year and scoped it out near Water St asking some questions but never got to set up. I'm only a year into fishing and like trying different species and it would be cool to know if anyone else targets these in the Water St area and could give an idea on when or how to go for them..

Ya we fish for them but its been slow for them the past 3-5 years. Try the Nemadji river under HWY 2 past loonsfoot.

Will do. Thanks! I'm always out by the airport and have an eelpout on my tip up as I'm leaving each night lol I love those things! laugh

They are a cool species and fun to tangle with. I wish I could get on a nice pout bite around here. Gd Luck!

Has anyone been down to the pokegama lately if so how much ice....or has anyone drove down to park pt. ..I saw,it had ice last week...any info would be awesome

"I'm always out by the airport and have an eelpout on my tip up as I'm leaving each night"

That always seems to be the case for me too. When the walleye quit and your about ready to leave the pout show up. It's usually just one or two though. Anybody ever fish the harbor at night for pout? Like I say I seem to get one or two and then they quit...I usually dont stay that late though.

That's exactly how it happens to me too. Once the one or two pout show up, everything ends. I like saving up a few of them and boiling them in sprite or something and drenching in butter. I love cooking them for people and then showing them what eelpout look like after lol.

Hit Alloueez for a couple hrs yesterday. Marked fish but could only produce one big perch. There was one other shack out there. I fished close to the trench and walked off the bluff creek access. There were snowmobile tracks out there, and I should of brought the auger instead of the spud. Plenty of ice.. On the area I was fishing, but make sure to check your own ice and don't rely on my report. You know how things can change out there. Hope the harbor produces a great year..... Gd luck

Guys, I have not been up in Mn for many winters and am now living a little further North. On the few trips I make to Duluth I would like to try the river for some eyes. Where is the best spot to park and walk out? Park Point, Blatnik pier, or somewhere else? Just looking for an easy on and off and safe parking.

Best spot to go out of is the Park Point boat landing lot. Walk is shorter to fishy water than down by the rowing club which I would stay away from for a week or so. Last night locked up some open water that will make you think is good ice but its not. Bring a spud bar, floatation and ice picks and dont go alone the 1st few trips out. Ice is always changing down there.