• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

So are people thinking the river will shut down now because of all the rain? Debating whether to give it a go tomorrow.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

Fishing will get tuffer but theres a lot of nice fish to be had on the flats from Boyscout to the High Bridge.

The mud is bad for the river and most walleye are custom to it but there are a lot of walleye that have been out in the big lake for the last month. Every time the river gets like this it pushes them out in the big lake and I bet there was a big push to the lake. The smelt have been with in 300 yards of the superior entry and if they did hit the lake they will eat good:-) but they come back in all summer long. When the smelt stay close to town the walleye have no reason to come back in when they have all the food they want. There will be a few fish around but the lake run walleyes will be gone. Give it a week to settle down and clear up and it should be good on the fish that are there but don't wast time in one spot move around. Good luck out there:-)

Was on the river from Boy Scout up to the 80 bouys this morning recovering a runaway boat for some people camping up river. WOW is that water moving. A couple bouys almost under water and a couple others pushed well off the channel towards shore. Guessing it will take a bit for things to settle down.

Well we gave it a go today, kinda reminded me of being on the rainy river a day late. Muddy and high, with lots of debris and some big logs floating around. One fish that snapped the line, and that's about it. Tried spirit and arrowhead flats then the rain came and that was enough for us to pull the plug. Oh well lots of summer left!

Well, does this finish the SLR for the summer?

NO. In the past when its gotten like this it takes a good dry week and it will be ok. Theres still guys catching fish on the river.

Not at all, just postpones some things.. I am planning on being back to the ole river prolly next week?

Not necessarily. They are just biting in different places and on different things than they were 3 weeks ago. We caught 35 walleyes yesterday. Big ones are spread out though. Keep at it and try different things.

35 walleye day is tremendous...Good for you man, way to work at it, especially considering the wind. Good walleye chop hey..

today's wind sucked. Wound up with 6 eyes none of wich would have done me any good Sunday. I hope is nice Saturday for Lincoln park.

A little less wind made fishing much easier yesterday afternoon. I fished 4:30 to 8pm and wound up with around 20 eyes, a few pike and 1 muskie. Everyplace I went I found fish from the bong to barkers. I pulled sticks and cranks all night and the fish were very agressive. Best baits were anything with gold in it. Didnt matter if it was gold/orange or gold purple they wanted gold. Other colors only caught about 5.

The fish are spread out so moving is key. I never had 1 area that was really on fire but barkers did produce a lot of 14-17" fish with 1 26"er tossed in.

Hopefully the fish and weather hold out for the Lincoln Park this Saturday.

Lake Superior still remains VERY slow for walleyes although the water clarity is now to the point you can see your prop in areas. Always a good sign.

Good luck this weekend everyone and be safe with all the people that will be on the river.

Fished the Lincoln Park Contest saturday. We caught nothing but dinks all day and left after the rain started up. Seems there are still fish all over the river from Boyscout all the way to the entries. Many nice fish caught and the 1st and 40th place fish both came out of the same boat. Spinners, spin n glows and sticks/cranks all caught fish. Hot areas seemed to be from Oliver to spirit lake and then Barkers area. A beautiful 10#er was caught by a family friend not too far from us but he wasnt in the contest. crazy

The rain has muddied up the water even worse now so fishing could get tougher.

Many fish still very shallow and of course if you dont have some weeds on your line your not catching as many eyes as you could be.

After my performance in the Lincoln Park Contest, or lack of one, I had to get back in the saddle and proove to myself I really can fish the river. Started out about 4pm on the Barkers flats and caught nothing but them 13-17"ers. Went up to the bong area and the same, arrowhead the same, spirit the same, between the bridges the same. Finally about 7 I decided I would troll some sticks. Hit below the bridges in a area known to hold released fish from the LP contest. Glad I did because in a matter of 40 minutes I had a 27.5", 24" and 26" with several other 16-21"ers in the mix. What a flurry. Hot bait was a gold bomber long A trolled at 2.2 mph.

I guess it was a great night to be out because it looks like the rain is back for the next few days. mad

Anyone want to help me build "Northlander's Ark"? grin

Anyone want to help me build "Northlander's Ark"? grin

I'll help you if you help me grin

Ya I would say the river will be shot for a while again...not good..

At 9 p.m. last night the water was up to the bottom of the new Arrowhead Pier and was stuffed full of debris... If anyone is crazy enough to put a boat in .. be careful and watch for submerged logs , I think this is going to take a long time to clear up

I think its shot until at least late July. Trees all over the river. I won't have my boat in the river for quite a while. Looks worse than the mississippi.

The building I work in is located right next to Miller Creek. I spent some time on Wednesday monitoring the creek levels because the water was slamming into one corner of the building. I was amazed at the amount of plastic bottles and other junk I saw float by. I also saw a 100 gallon propane tank and a fuel oil tank rolling down the river. No way would I venture out on the river. And, be careful if you are boating on the big lake.

• 4 weeks later...

River thread has been dead. I have heard a few reports about musky fishing, but not to much news about the Walters. Was thinking about checking it out this afternoon, but I am not certain????? I may go to one of my sconnie lakes instead... Thoughts on riv?

You have to sort through the dinks but there are some fish to be caught from barkers to the bong.

Headed out all day yesterday, and it was windy to say the least. Was able to get some fish though, so did make for a nice day. Caught 5 eyes between 16 and 22" one 30" pike, a bunch of Rockies, and 1 very nice crappie. Kept one walleye so my buddy could show his Alabama relatives what they taste like. Happy the river produced and thinking about hitting her again today!

Fished the Big lake and Bay the past few days with mixed results. The Big Lake put out several nice eyes but there was nothing consistent at all about the bite and a lot of ground was covered to scratch out fish. Best day was 8 eyes and a few shore trout. All released but 2 16"ers. Last few times out only 2-3 caught and again many miles of searching to get them.

Nice thing is the water is much much cleaner than it has been.

The bay also has been spotty but bright spinners and crawlers have put a few in the boat. You have to sort through a few dinks to get anything over 15" but its a bend in the rod. Early and late when the heat and sun isnt so bad has of course been better. Also got a few slow trolling bombers in bright perch patterns and gold/orange or silver/chart/orange.

Best thing is in 4 days of fishing I only saw about 10 other boats in those areas.

Bring plenty of water and stay hydrated. This hot humid weather can sure take the steam out of a guy if you dont.