• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

Had a slow night out there also got one about 12" and a couple other lookers before dark. Had a very active vex for about 45mins after dark but no takers lots of trucks out again

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

I hit the harbor just off of park point this morning. I didn't catch a thing, but I sat in the same spot the whole time. I probably should have made a move at some point. Guess I was just being lazy.

Brought one home tonight just off Park point about 10 ft. Had lots of action, but my timing was a little off. I'll be back out there for sure.

I hit the bay again tonight and set up on a 8' flat. Good choice. Got 8 fish with a 23"er being the biggest. Got a 20", 19" 17" and some smaller fish. All came around 4:30pm. Hot bait was a glow rainbow Lindy Rattlin Flyer in the 1/4 oz size.

All fish caught slammed the bait. Nothing on the deadstick tonight.

Fish is frying as I type. Yummy!

Steve, tried our spot from 2 years ago yet? or is it unaccessable due to ice conditions? My poles for my frabill are out in my perm on fish lake. going to make a trip there tomorrow to pick 'em up and hopefully do some night fishing here soon. With that frabill pretty heavy, i assume i can use the wheeler and get anywhere i want(besides channel) on the bay...

Wheelers are going all over. Had 1 guy on that spot tonight and he did real good. Keep it to yourself ok?

Not a chance it'll get to anyone else. Humph. Okie dokie....ya might catch me out there tomorrow. Can we get on the lake at the same place as before...or just where everyone else is?

I am seeing mention of wheelers geting onto the ice on STL Bay and three days age there were 25+ trucks out off of Park Point but now you are talking about only Four wheelers; trucks are still getting on the ice correct?

I have not been out yet this year to the bay...however, assumption is...depends on how brave you are. Bay is unreliable...specially with the cutter doing its job. I like my truck alot....i like my wheeler also...but, know i can travel on lots less ice with my wheeler. Assuming you don't go near the channel edge or WI side at all, truck will be fine

Lots of trucks out there not trying to support driving out there but with the amount of trucks out lately and the ice you should be fine. Lots of dinks on the bay tonight with only a couple respectable fish...smallest size I have seen down there

had my best night saturday night got away from the crowds. And got a 48" sturgeon, 4 eyes + 20" and 3 16"-18". I was kinda mad because someone was in my favorite spot, but the more I fish out there the more i think location is a [PoorWordUsage] shoot. Did anybody else see the guy driving right next to the shipping lane? Had the phone out ready to call 911. Some people are crazy!!

Tyeeme glad to hear of your luck. I was out late Sat. and Sun morning. Moved around quite a bit and got a good amount of lookers, but only one good hit. Oh well, so goes it on the river. How did the fight with the Sturgeon go?

About 15 minutes and 2 dead lines!! Fun to catch I saw him on my camera tried to pull my spoon up to avoid him but he just came up and attacked it.

PA, wern't you at fish lake today also? thought i seen your flag sticking up not far from my perm....

Yeah that was me. Started in the bay in the morning and then we moved to the Huges' house after lunch.

We saw you guys over there. Where'd you move the house to? Looked out the window... sat back down to fish... looked again and POOF you were gone!

I moved the silver shack to the DAM area....and kept my sided beige shack still close to where you were fishing.

Had to stop @ the house to get my propane tank and pole i forgot so i could do a little river fishing....

I haven't fished the permanent sice the tourney....did you do any good on fish?

1 small rock bass and 1 sunfish. I did get to try nearly everything I had in my jig box though, shape and color. Tons of sniffers, no eaters. Didn't matter what we used, minnows, heads, tails, waxies, plastics...

just wondering if people are catching any amount of fish out there on the point tryed the bay off of 28th street last night and no bites thinking of comin out to the point friday night any suggestions and is anyone getting any pout out there would really like to get into some we are talking of fishing the point or at loons foot landing area which is going to be a better spot

It's been hit or miss out there. Haven't fished out by Loons Foot so I really couldn't advise you about that. I do know that at the end of last week the cutters were keeping the section of the bay open outside of East Superior (behind McDs). It was still open a few days ago so I wouldn't trust the ice in that area. It might be fine by Loons Foot but that is getting pretty close the WI entry too.

I'm not sure that there's really any trick to the bay right now. You're probably better off just finding a small change in depth and fishing what little structure you can find. Some fish are being caught and then other nights, nothing. I personally haven't seen many pout caught out there.

We fished the flats off of Park point twice and had fish on the graph immediately both morning and evening. Just a matter of finding something interested in what you are offering. Thursday night last week between two guys we missed a total of 5 hits and caught one keeper/eater walleye. Again plenty of fish were being marked, just tough to get them to commit. Monday we had 3 caught in the first 30 minutes.

thanks for the help we will be out friday after work hope to get some fish would be nice for once lol last weekend we were on nebagamine and got 1 northern and 1 crappie between 6 adults and 5 kids o well thats why its called fishing right

Fishing was good on the bay tonight with a 28.5"er and 27" caught along with a few 24's 22's and some in the 17-19" range.

Lindy flyers, buckshots, plain glow jig and Lindy Darter all caught fish.

Nothlander where you down byt he soccer fileds or back down by the rowing club. I was out on the Bay tonight as well marked fish but no takers.

Great report northlander that is one good day on the bay and makes me jealous since I have not been able to get down there in almost a week! Sure seems like the masses are starting to come out down there with many lakes having slush so that should keep things interesting...any chance you want to give a depth hint on wear those big mamas were caught? Have fished a good amount of spots this year but have been catching alot more smaller fish than last year...

I'd like to be as tight lipped as possible...however i pulled in the 28.5" walleye...depth...well, same as the whole bay....8'. Came off the lindy flyer. Stupid luck it was caught. 'nuff said! I think there is fish all over the bay. Just gotta be in the right spot at the right time.

Northlander....i'm going to do my darndest to meet you in the AM. Better half has to work at 1030 so i gotta be off the ice by 945 to be back in Hermantown.

See you then!

Nice fish PW. I was starting to think that Northlander was the only one catching the big eyes down there. grin

I was thinking about hittin off Conners point this weekend dooes anyone konow if it's been any good down there? I probably will go off Rowing club to get there.

Jar Jar

No Im not the only one. It seemed like everyone that we had in our group got at least one nice fish.

This AM was good for eater sized fish and tonight was again good for size. Biggest was a 25"er on a Lindy Darter in orange/gold and a few in the 17-19" range on either a glow/orange buckshot or blue/white Lindy Flyer. Seems like in sun times the white/blue flyer works good and then when the sun goes down the glow buckshot is the ticket.

Keep them lures moving and raise until they commit. Many fish are rocketing up 3-5' and hitting the baits. Those are almost always the nicer fish.

As far as depths thats not the key. What is key is finding something different like a saddle, hump or if your real lucky rocks.

As usual if you fish in a pack it will almost always be slow. Get away from others. Im talking 1/2 to 1mile away. Truck traffic in that shallow water as well as auger noise will drive the fish away. If your alone and can stay alone, unlike tonight where some [PoorWordUsage] jumped on us and drilled at prime time and set up tip ups 20' away from out trucks mad, you have a better chance of getting on some active fish.

Good luck guys.

Jar Jar the guys fishing conners must be doing ok because they have been there every day and for long periods of time.