• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

Didn't get to go out until this morning and only for a couple hours. Started at Boy Scout and trolled towards Spirit, got 1 25" Pike, getting ready to go out now to smile

Thanks

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

Poked around today on those spots and picked up a couple eaters.

Crawlers, of course. Now I'm happy

since the ol depth finder/locater died a few weeks ago its been slow.was in buddies boet this weekend & saw there were bunches of fish piled up in the channel.even in 8fow in some bays on wisc side.my buddy got a hog eye out of 8fow sat.was pretty slow tho.is water temps very high?whats recent temps in bay vs river?thanks.

I dont pay much attention to temps on the river. I more look for forage and fish. Seems like a "fresh" batch of fish moved into the bay though.

Yeah, I think that was us! We were in a 14' boat and caught all of our fish in lower spirit lake by the island. Were you the guys trolling w/ planer boards and stickbaits? That was sure a nice day to be out on the water! Have you been getting any lately? I was out with a friend a couple days ago and got a 43" musky and a 24" musky and lost another. It was a blast! I haven't been going for any walleye much though.

I am new to the river as well and I haven't found many walleye yet, but I have been fishing for muskies on spirit lake on the edge of the weedbeds w/bright spinners and have done alright. We got a 43" the other day and it was awesome!

that's a nice musky! haha yeah that was me with the boards out. small world lol

Put in a 13 hr shift today 8am-9pm. Hit the bay in several spots, nemadji, Alloueez, superior entry, and even ventured out to the big lake. Nice day to be out. And oh yeah I caught fish too! 5 eyes (20", 18", 14 3/4", and a couple 12"s), 5 cats (3-4 pounders (nice fighting creatures), 1 decent calico bass (13"), and the ever present perch and rock bass...found the eyes in a scattered area along the weed edges, and shallow water. The smaller ones were caught during the peak of daylight. The nicer ones came close to dark in the "still producing hole". Used a jig and crawler all day! Got snapped off by something in the entry. Wish I knew what it was, I marked some nice fish in there. All in all a fantastic day on the water with the pooch! If I were to frown on one thing, it would be the boats flying down nemadji, especially in the NO WAKE between bridges. Come on guys, gotta be careful out there, plus there kids always jumping off the swing bridge. Besides that, ill back at her again tomorrow. Plan on hitting up a new body of water. Anderson Lake (canoeing)...later friends!!!!oh yeah almost forgot, all fish were RELEASED to see another day. I feel better with a quik pic, and knowing there's still fish, plus I still have plenty in the freezer!!!sorry to keep blabbing on, but just doing my part! Later friends!!!

You fished for 13 hours? Today?

Sir, I tip my hat to you grin

Glad to hear you caught fish. What's a calico bass?

Love being on the water. Calico bass is a funny name my friends came up with ice fishing slab crappies. Thanks tacklejunkie!

Congrats on a nice catch! I know what you are saying about the Nemadji. The no wake zone confuses me as to where it begins and ends, and for the life of me I can't see why that particular shoreline is much different than the rest of the shoreline of that river. The Nemadji cuts through a large (many square miles) bed of thick of red clay, the shoreline banks are near vertical. It's like, 100 yards of no wake zone when there are miles of the same thing. Even if the whole river was no wake, every time it rains it's going to bleed solid red water.

Ya that no wake zone makes no sense. Instead post a speed limit of 15 mph on the hole river. No need to fly around on that little river.

Agree Steve. It's dangerous to "run" down that river. I'm suprised I have not heard of anyone running into trouble. Going to fast, you could A-hit a dead head, B-hit another fishing boat, C-hit a swimmer. Got to be careful out there! Had to mention to a guy yesterday about the no wake zone, when he flew by me as I was fishing, not a lot of room out there.

I have been laid off for quite a while and have been doing a fair amount of fishing. I have been fishing alone mostly but am always looking for more fishing buddies. Anyone interested in doing some fishing? My schedule is flexible for the most part.

Agree Steve. It's dangerous to "run" down that river. I'm suprised I have not heard of anyone running into trouble. Going to fast, you could A-hit a dead head, B-hit another fishing boat, C-hit a swimmer. Got to be careful out there! Had to mention to a guy yesterday about the no wake zone, when he flew by me as I was fishing, not a lot of room out there.

I have seen folks with big outboards going what, appears to be, full throttle, down the river and I ask myself, "what's the hurry, Murry?"

The fish aren't going anywhere and all you're doing is [PoorWordUsage] off other fisherman.

Unless they have a secret spot and are trying to beat the "other guy" to it

• 2 weeks later...

Brought my friend Pete out walleye fishing for his 1st time. Was able to get him his first walleye 25 1/2" beauty. Not bad for his first fish! Took a good pick, measurement, and was able to have a successful release so someone else is able to catch a fun fish. Definetly the highlight fish of the river for my boat this summer. And a great memorable experience for Pete. Other than that, no other walleyes, but the usual mix bag of perch, rock bass, and cats. All n all a great day out on the ole river. Fished from 12-6 pm

• 2 weeks later...

I hit the river from about 8am to 1pm today. Got three pretty small eyes and a couple eater sized ones. I also pulled in a pretty thick 12" crappie. Lost one or two fish near the boat as well. All fish caught on jig and minnow. All fish released.

I would personally like to thank Beastlight for his guided fishing trip on the st louie today by filling the livewell with eater eyes and crappies. You are the man!

Got out in the harbor and entryway with Sherpa today. Big goose egg! First river outing without catching a single fish. And the first time this year getting skunked. Oh well, that's why it's fishing. Did get a few bites of sorts from what was sure to be perch or ruffe. Water is still milky along the superior entry. And loons foot is littered with floating debri. Heck trying to fight the weekend warriors with only two spots to launch and load. Pulled out the boat and had enough wood to keep a camp fire flaming. Anyone doing any good?

Made up for yesterdays skunk job today. I managed to get three walleye in the boat and probably 7 or 8 crappies as well. My friend also pulled in an 18" smallmouth. It was the biggest one I have seen out of the river for sure. Good day on the river. Going back out again with Jarrid in the morning.

Nice catch. Those plump bass seem to be harder and harder to find but when you do tie into on, it's all fun!

Ya I have noticed the size of the bass seems to be down from a few years back.

Well, Jarrid and I hit the river today from 9am to around 3pm. We only managed one eye, a northern and a smally. We lost a couple fish as well. It was pretty windy out there today. Definitely tested my boat control skills. Still good to be on the river fishing even if the weather wasn't perfect. We will probably be back at it tomorrow.

Sherpa if I cant get on the Lake I may see ya on the river. Where ya going to be do ya think? Im thinking about launching at Boyscout or Clyde.

Where are you guys fishing on the river? We just got a boat and have been down near the bay and in the main channel but haven't caught anything! I do partly blame it on my driver / husband since he doesn't fish and is always wanting to move around... and not to where I ask. I've been using top water, buck tails, spinners and a whole assortment of rapala's. The first time I tried night crawlers but he refuses to anchor down and let me relax. It is amazing how the wrong fishing partner can make the relaxing experience can make you want to quit fishing and do bodily harm to some one smile

Helpwecomed please see I locked your other post. Please dont start new posts when others on that same topic already exist.

I would be fishing the channels edges inside/deeper bends and any deep weed edges you can find for eyes. Trolling cranks on lead core and jigging bigger minnows. Water is dark from rain now but if we can get it to clear up and the water temp starts dropping the eyes will turn on again.

I would try from the deep channels edges by the bong to just above Boyscout.

Sherpa if I cant get on the Lake I may see ya on the river. Where ya going to be do ya think? Im thinking about launching at Boyscout or Clyde.

NL I'm not sure where I will be tomorrow. Jarrid and I talked about launching at Loonsfoot and fishing down that way. It is still up in the air though. We had a couple other ideas too. I normally launch at Clyde so you might see me around that area in an older Tuffy boat. Feel free to say hello if you do.