• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

Went out this morning for a few hours and got a couple 18" eyes and a couple crappies too. Real windy out there today! Probably going to be the same tomorrow.

I hear you on the wind Sherpa mad

Loonasea and I had planned on going out on the big lake but there was small craft advisory so we hit the river for a while. We had a few bites but landed nothing and finally got tired of fighting the wind. At least tomorrow it should die down a little bit for the contest and the forecast for Sunday sounds great.

anyone been out on the river lately? how is the water clarity/level? are there still eyes holding in spirit lake? anyone have any advice on other parts of the river to try?

i'm getting back from alaska tomorrow and heading up to duluth for a few days and would like to go out on the river at least once or twice. anyone that might want to head out with me on monday or tuesday, drop me a email at jwmiller AT stthomas DOT edu. it would be nice to have double the amount of lines in the water and always enjoy meeting fellow FMers

i am going to be doing some trolling. i usually like running bottom bouncers with spinners and crawlers out there, but i think i am going to only do that on one line, and use the other line for running a 3 way rig with a rapala. do any of you guys use 3 way rigs on the st louis for walleyes and have success? i know a lot of guys do it on pool 4 of the miss in red wing and have a lot of success doing so.. just looking to try something new. only problem is you have to troll a tad bit faster with a 3 way rig to get the rapala to get the wobble then you would with just a spinner/bottom bouncer. i guess i will play around with it and see if i can find a happy medium... my thinking is if a fish will hit a 3 way at 1.7-2.0 mph, why wouldnt they hit a spinner at the same speed?

Fish yesterday seemed to come from the [PoorWordUsage] plant area on up to Oliver. Early was key. 3 ways work great. Try the deep channel from arrowhead to spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great day on the river yesterday. Found the walleyes. Boated 6 eyes, with the biggest being 20". Also boated some decent crappies. Sherpa caught one that was 14 1/2". Not going to spill the beans on the hot spot, because I think she's going to be producing more, but we did catch them in warm shallow water. We did use live bait, but not bottom bouncers or harnesses. Minnows! Kept fish to feed some company visiting fro

Ohio. They were very impressed, and now love the walleye!! Long live ole marble eyes!

Yeah that was a pretty good day on the river for us. I'm still pretty pumped about that crappie. I'm glad we caught some fish while your buddies were visiting.

My river fishing has been improving as of late, also. Nothing fast or furious but something anyways

Nice to hear someone has found some elusive walleyes, gives us hope. I was targeting bass from Oliver to well above Boy Scout Landing, and finding both that the size and frequency of the catch seems to be trending down compared to past years, in my humble experience. But there are still a few out there. After hitting a potpourri of hotspots and only getting smaller bass, rock bass, and northerns, I found a pod of maybe six active fish last night before the rain hit, at least three were in the 18" or better category. The water was 3-4' and they were located over an area of maybe 60' x 20' and associated with a current break and riffle. One straightened out a light wire hook at the boat, another was landed, and several smaller ones caught and released. It was sure fun to see close up several of the fish chasing minnows on the surface and raised the interest of the two women I had on board as they tried to present their bait to a moving target. Could have gotten more but thunder was in the distance and I called it before getting wet.

Not as good today as the other day! 5 keeper crappies, 1 perch, 3 rock bass, and 1 small walleye that was under 10"! Fun day though, and at least the weather was nice. Wish we could of got into them again, but that's the way it goes sometimes. 1 day they're there, the next day they're gone.

Sounds good northlander! I'll shoot you an email and well set up an outing! Later friends!!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Any new reports guys?

How did this ice fishing talk get back up here?

dreaming of cooler days?sure could go for a frost one of these nites tho.take down some bugs.the dear flies were THICK today.

I am new to this forum and also new to fishing the st. louis river. I was wondering if I could get some pointers and tips for fishing this system. I will be fishing for muskies as well as walleye from time to time. I did pretty well on opener for walleye but is there many walleye still in the system or are they mostly out in the big lake by now? I would greatly appreciate any tips or advice that you guys are willing to give!

if you did well on opener, I'd say you know a few good spots already. opener was very tough for alot of people. there are a few eyes in the river but u just gotta keep all the weeds off your line.

Theres always fish in the river. Try Alouiz Bay, Nemadji River, channel bends from arrowhead to Oliver and flats early and late. Thats enough water to last ya a while. wink

Guys in league caught some real nice fish last night so they are there.

if you did well on opener, I'd say you know a few good spots already. opener was very tough for alot of people. there are a few eyes in the river but u just gotta keep all the weeds off your line.

x2...especially the weeds.

Thanks for the pointers! Weeds are what I keep hearing. That is real good to know. Yeah, opener we were on lower spirit lake slow trolling w/ a jig/minnow. We got a nice limit and released a 29" walleye as well as a big old sturgeon. It was definitely fun! I will be going out tommorrow and friday so I will see what I can get.

Thanks for the pointers! Weeds are what I keep hearing. That is real good to know. Yeah, opener we were on lower spirit lake slow trolling w/ a jig/minnow. We got a nice limit and released a 29" walleye as well as a big old sturgeon. It was definitely fun! I will be going out tommorrow and friday so I will see what I can get.

what boat were u in on opener? I think I was fishing by u guys and talked to ya a little on the water. there were 2 guy in a 12 footer or somethin that got a big 29 incher and also got a sturgeon. just wondering if that was u by chance.

I am getting a boat tomorrow and have just been shore fishing the river, all times of the day. haven't been able to find the walleyes yet and don't have a clue where to even go in a boat, I've been using nightcrawlers. Any suggestions or other places to try out, new to the area and teaching myself as i go

Thanks

saw a guy net a nice 6 lber the other night as we were cruisin by! Right on the weed edge, well up on the edge of the channel. Looked like they were riggin or spinnin

Gooty thats a pretty vague answer do you care to at least say where the weed edge and channel were?

up on the channel huh? May I ask where? Or if there are other good lakes in the area for walleyes & pike? i have heard of fish and island lake, from what i've been reading island lake has been kinda slow. Open to all comments Thanks guys, I want to take my brother out on the boat and have never gone out on one up here. Only been fishing along the river near Boy Scout and up into Fondulac a bit. Had luck with the walleyes last year at boy scout but they seem to be where ever I'm not.

I would troll the channel in front of the Spirit Lake Marina and from just below Oliver to just above Boyscout. Leadcore and cranks would be my 1st bet but crawler harnesses on 2-3 ounce bottom bouncers would be second. Or slow drift some jigs and big minnows.

Anybody know were the smaller walleyes are? Not to brag, but I'd like to catch some eaters in the 15-18 foot range instead of the 20 some inchers that I end up releasing anyways

Alouiz, Nemadji, oar docks all will have some keepers in there. Even the bay is putting out a few more. I would bet boyscout will also give up a few.