• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

Its the area above where the old arrowhead fishing pier was. The landing is there on the Wi side. They are supposed to build a new fishing pier there this summer. Its also straight across from strikers bay. Also across from where the huge tin shed was torn down a few years back if ya know where that was. If you dont know any of those areas I cant help ya much. LOL.

Get a map and look for the arrowhead boat landing and its the shallow area just above that. That should get you in the area guys.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

Its been a long while since I fished the river, let alone on opener, any suggestions on where to launch, I'm hoping to be on the water by 7, thats early considering I am dragging the boy along. will there be parking issues at the ramps? I dont mind waiting in line, but hoping not to have to park a mile away.

By 7am there will be lines at most ramps. Stay away from Boyscout landing thats for sure.

Yeah the ramps will be pretty packed.. Boyscount landing usally u have to park on the road up the block. Its suppose to be nice out so u know there might be a couple more boats then normal. Thanks for the info Northlander i fish there all the time and didn't realize that was arrowhead flat.... Goood luck on the opener everyone and be safe!!!

Hey Northlander I will be up sunday to wed maybe we'll have to meet up and tell some fishing stories.....

Ill be out all day sat-tues. E-mail me if you want to exchange numbers. Its below.

Any info on the water levels on the river? Up and moving fast or low and slow? Is the D A M open? I know in years past this has made some difference....

Not sure on specifics, but it rained hard all day around here. I'm guessing the current will be picking up and we'll have dirty water. Also this is really our first good rain, so who knows what you might find floating down the river. The ditch in front of our house is small but it went from nothing to about 1.5ft deep, and it's moving.

The water is a bit more stained and moving a bit faster but that is better than what it was. It was pretty clear, by river standards, and slow. Im sure they will open and close the d a m off and on as usual. They usually increase the flow come opener. If it does get worse over night I dont think it will stay murky long. Especially with all the good weather we are expecting.

Brrrr - your best chance at finding a boat launch without much of a wait so late in the morninggrin might be under the blatnik bridge.there is 2 ramps & i think 2 launches on each one.probly be faster to go to boyscout area by water that way than by launching there.floated by there last year in the morning & it looked like a circus.good luck & have fun.i, myself will start at 3:30-4:00am.should be short lines around then i reckon.

Tonight I noticed water levels on nemadji and amnicon rise. As for the current, that to was moving pretty fast. Also the color turned to straight Dirty brown. I imagine the SLR is probably about the same. However, with this nice weather coming, that should give time for things to be almost perfect for an opener. See ya on the river.

Anyone want to start a pool on how long it takes for someone to haul a55 and crash on the rock bar?

Two years ago I was fishing from shore at 133rd street out in Fond Du Lac and watched some people in a fiberglass bowrider type boat come around the bend haulin A$$ and slam into the rock bar. They came to a dead stop in no time at all. No one seemed to be hurt but I'm sure the bottom of their boat had seen better days. They had to get out in the ankle deep water and push it off of the rocks. Be safe out there people.

What does the river look like after this rain??

Brrrr - your best chance at finding a boat launch without much of a wait so late in the morninggrin might be under the blatnik bridge.

That's what we did last year and it was a breeze going in and out. No line and ample parking. If you have a decently quick boat that is what I would suggest.

Thanks guys, I was leaning toward Clyde, with the bridge a close second, I'll heed your advice and use the Garfield launch. Have a great opener and stay safe. See you out there.

I stopped by boyscout and 23 bridge at about 3pm today on my way home.The water got pretty muddy from yesterday's rain. It doesn't look as bad as 2006 opener, but I'm sure it won't be as good as last year.

This will be one of the best temps for opener we have seen in a long time. I will be out by 11:30 am and let the landing calm down and put the smack down on them eyes out there. I can not wait to pull some nice fish and enjoy the day with friends and the kids.

anyone got color schemes to suggest for water in river since all the rain? never fished it so early, well except last year but was mostly by barkers and superior point of entry, going up river towards bong bridge this year

I just wish I could be there but I can't,new job and all.

Post as many reports as possible.

Good luck all and be safe!!!

river is D-I-R-T-Y~! *yikes* seems like ya had to wap a lure up along side any fishes head just so it would know its there. horrible opener, only got 3 things, one mid size slimer and 2 potential world record clam clusters. was so bad took me 3 hours to even get a snag!

river is D-I-R-T-Y~! *yikes* seems like ya had to wap a lure up along side any fishes head just so it would know its there. horrible opener, only got 3 things, one mid size slimer and 2 potential world record clam clusters. was so bad took me 3 hours to even get a snag!

I've been working all weekend, and they have been pretty good shifts. I would've GLADLY traded my good days at work, for your bad days of fishin'. wink

hit the river today.... got 2 walleye near highbridge, 18" and 24", both hit HARD, big one about took pole outta boat due to umm lack of attention from my rod attendant.....FATFINGER *ahem*

Took all day yesterday, but I was finally able to find them. Once we did, it was good fun reeling in river eyes. Biggest was a close to 5 pounder. Started the morning up at boy scout with the other 500 people, and at about 1:30 headed down river. I think the eyes headed down river as well, for that's where we found em! Also caught a few nice crappies, real nice perch, and the occasional hammer handle. Great Minnie opener (maybe best in a long time). Probably gonna hit her again this week. Should be nice to be able to maneuver a little more freely! See ya on the water and as the Babe says "good fishing"

from what I saw 99percent of the boats were a long way from where the eyes were, I spent way too much time in the wrong spot myself on saturday, couldnt get hardly any takers, but the two we got hit hard and didnt let go.

Was 52 degrees up by the hwy 23 bridge yesterday and very few eyes around up there. Seen only about a dozen fish caught between sat and sun. I got 1. If it were up to me we would have moved around abit more, but fishing out of someone elses boat.

Warmest I found in the main river was just shy of 55 degrees.

Fishing was best both mornings and once the sun came out it slowed way down. Long stretches without fish the norm for most people. We need this mud to settle down then the bite should get better.

Didnt find any 1 area with a bunch of fish. Tried everything from jigs to cranks. None any better than the other.

Jarrid I see you got that nice fish in your avatar just out my back door. Nice job!

This was my first opener on the river. I can't believe the number of boats out there. I was surprised, but people seemed to do a pretty good job of not running into each other. There was one guy though that didn't seem to mind getting inches away from peoples boats and just letting them push him away if they were about to hit. He lost a couple lures to anchor lines and even snapped a rod on one. Pretty comical to watch. We did pretty well with the walleyes. I hate to sound like I'm bragging but it seemed like we were pulling in more fish than the people around us. I had probably my best day of chasing eyes since I got a boat and really started fishing often. I know people have had way better days but I'm pretty happy with how it went. I also caught my personal best walleye at 22.5" (long way to go for that 30"er) and my first sturgeon. Lots of sturgeon being caught out there by the way. This definitely beats last years opener for me.

Sherpa