• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

well hello everyone.. ive been fishing off of park point a few times now and not havin the best of luck ive had a couple of nibbles and i did get 1 20 pound sturgen but i sure would like a nice walleye.. ive been in 9 feet of water and ive done 15.. with a glow jig... anyone have any sugestions thanks aaron

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

Welcome to the forums iceman. I suggest you read through this post, the suggestions made by northlander work. I know it is frusterating out there trust me, but keep the faith. The next 12lb'r is lurking out there... somewhere. ;-)

Iceman, I am with you in the same boat. I am new to the bay fishing thing. I learn a little more each time i go out and by reading the post from the more experienced guys. Our day will come, we just need to keep trying and find the fish holding structures and the tide will turn.

Welcome Iceman. Please read all the past posts there is a ton of good info.

I will say get a map book like the Sportsmans Connection book for St. Louis County or use your GPS. Think like a fish wanting to get up river as easy as possible. What contours would you follow to get up river and where might you rest. Find any depth changes that are 1-3' difference. Tips, humps, bends and saddles.

Dont get frustrated because the past several days the bite has been tougher for most of us.

Still some nice fish being caught though so it can be done.

I have fished off of Park Point 5 times now, and have only caught a rock bass and a sturgeon. I've fished everywhere between 7 and 15 FOW, and I've read/tried many of the hints here with no success. I have no doubt it's good information, it just hasn't been my day any of the 5 times I've tried. Some days are just like that (okay, some SEASONS in my case this year). Just lettin' ya know you're not alone! Good luck and keep on pluggin'!

Hello fishing friends:

The St. Louis River bite is pretty good right now. As many posts indicate; there are some great fish being caught. Some days the bite is tough. Some days the bite is pretty good. This fishery is a "jewel"! There are very, very few places that you can catch this quality of walleye through the ice on a consistent basis. Many of us anglers have been discussing the importance of catch and release at this time. Please, don't underestimate the role "you" play here at this time. Please, don't wait for the government to regulate the fishery. Step up and do the right thing by releasing the big females and big males as well. Encourage your friends to let those fish return to the St. Louis River and Lake Superior.

Please, don't make the mistake of rationalizing why it is ok to keep just a couple of these trophy fish. With the amount of angling pressure right now, we "are" putting some serious pressure on these fish. Not a problem if we all work together to do the right thing and release these fish.

Spread the word on how important it is to release these fish. Do the right thing and don't wait for the government to protect us from ourselves. Work together and let them go to "spawn another day".

have fun out there !

I agree, I value our fishery as much as anyone, but will never look down on anyone for keeping a trophy fish.

Myself I would rather a bunch of pics and measurements be taken and a replica made but if someone gets their trophy eye and keeps it I have no problem with that.

Fishing was a bit tougher today. Morning was ok but we tried a totally new area this afternoon and it didnt pay off much. We found murkey water in this area and very little current flow. Several spots in this area were fished and we all spread out but it was just the chance you take when you try new spots every once in a while. It could be gold or it could be coal.

I got coal yesterday afternoon too lol, i still cant believe i didnt even mark a fish in that spot. We made up for it this morning tho steve, at least we both got a nice one and a few eaters.

Last night made it worth missing the superbowl. Finished the night with 9 eyes between 15-23". Not sure how the rest of the masses did in front of Barkers, but I was able to get fish in the middle of them.

Sounds like an awesome night for you! Must have helped to have a little less traffic.

Nothing tastes like aged 25inch plus walleyes!! sick

By definition, a 25 incher is aged!

I've taken a few tagged fish, (back in the late 70's early 80's) the fish were originally tagged near Backfield. Didn't get the age though.

love this website, lots of great info. Been out a few times last couple weeks not much luck, saw a big muskie on my camera last week, looked over at my other rod as bobber was going down, reached to pick it up and the whole thing went down the hole in a split second. Every eve. I've been out seen 6 to 15 fish on my camera, could not get them to bite. thinking maybe camera was spooking them, used my vex. last time, same thing saw a bunch, 2 super light bites one walleye.

I have tried all over and never close to people, i'm not gonna quit, not when I know they are down there!

Jbach welcome to the forum. Good to get the camera's point of view. Bite has been lite lately, good to know the fish are at least hanging around...I guess ;-).

Got a in a late morning bite today. Fished from 8-11 this morning. Got 5 eyes 27" was the biggest. Ended up fishing the trench in front of the airport, fish were it 12-15' fow. Most fish came on mini rattle traps

Good luck

from park point were would be the best spot for some nice walleyes.. straight out from the acess or more down river? humm graphed some today and caught 2 18inchers

thanx jaxs, I also noticed some walleyes would come up to my lure and buzz away with the slightest jig movement.

There is not going to be a certain area or spot that will be alot better than others in my opinion. The fish are everywhere down there. The past few days I have just about fished a totally different spot everytime and I only got skunked once. Areas with no structure will produce just as well as a spot with humps or troughs when these fish are up feeding in the shallow water. I have fished 4 foot breaks and areas that have no structure what so ever and hae done well at each. With all these fish moving in right now I think presentation is more important than location as long as you aren't in 2 fow. The fish have not been extremly aggressive lately and want a certain lure moving a certain way which is not hard to figure out once you mark a few fish and see how they react to your presentation.

And with this new front that came thru today I wouldn't consider 2 fish that bad of a morning. Seems like fishing is usually tough the day a new front comes thru.

Well my hard work paid off and I caught a nice size walleye. I am interested in having it mounted and was wondering if anyone could lead me in the direction of a quality and reasonably priced taxidermist? I did keep the fish so no artists rendering would suffice. Thanks a lot for all of the help!

Well, from my measurements and weighing it on my bathroom floor scale it is 28" and about 10 lbs.

Artistic Anglers or Randy Bowe are both VERY good. Congrats on the fish!

Tough night tonight. 1 16" eye released and thats about all I saw.

Bill Bailey Taxidermy in Pequwyan lake is also good from what I hear.

Could anybody tell me if the mornings have been good by parkpoint? I live in Cloquet and not sure what this weather will do to the roads in the early morning, still trying to decide if I should go or not? Any info would be greatly appretiated!! Thanks

I have the time to fish tomorrow morning but i have a feeling its not going to be good with the weather like this so i dont think im goona head out since that wind is goona be blowin overnight into tomorrow. But yes, when we have stabil weather the mornings are good also. But you never know, you cant catch fish stayin at home! Tomorrow could be the best day of the season you just never know, fish will eat when they feel like eating lol.