• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grand

I was out last night during the Vikes game and had pretty good luck for this area. I was on the NW side where it breaks from 14.5-21 FOW within the length of the house. We were using a lipstick jig/minnow head (glow/pink) and caught 7 walleyes between the two of us, all keepers. You had to set it right on the sandy bottom with the minnow head up and the wallies would swim by and slurp it up. If they didn't take it right away I would bang it on the bottom a couple times and that triggered 'em to bite.

We also kept 9 crappies with the largest measuring 13 7/8 inch and the smallest 9 1/4. All the crappies were caught on a #2 swedish pimple with a waxie, suspended 10 feet under the ice and jigged like crazy.

Good luck.

wow you picked a good game to go fishing during.... umm i dont know the lake reel well, and ive only fished it a few times in the summer, but looking at a depth map, i kinda see what your talkin about, so are there any landmarks that help mark the spot? if you dont want to create a city of fishhouses out there, i could give you my email?

That is as specific as I'm willing to get, but thanks for asking. The maps are not as detailed as you would hope... As for the game I would rather listen and fish than sit at home.

Thats as specific as your willing to get? Don't worry there will be 15-20 houses their this weekend smile

I guess I don't care, it's just a spot... there are lots of fish in the lake so I'm sure I can find another spot. Plus, if one parent takes out a kid and has good fishing it was worth it.

I try to give bait, tackle and depth specific info so people can try what worked for me. I know there are several spots on the lake that are 21 FOW with a sand bottom.

Well thanks Berens... I am going to take my five year old out on Thursday and may hit Grand since it is close... I do appreciate the posts to help me get him interested in fishing!

Originally Posted By: BrdHunter01
Thats as specific as your willing to get? Don't worry there will be 15-20 houses their this weekend smile

I guess I don't care, it's just a spot... there are lots of fish in the lake so I'm sure I can find another spot. Plus, if one parent takes out a kid and has good fishing it was worth it.

Good point! Just be careful what you point out to the masses that lurk here on the internet...

Personally I think its more fun trying to find the fish.... Then when you find them its just that much better. Isn't that dad's job before he takes the kids out? wink But I understand where your coming from....

when dad works 13 hour days it's hard to find time to do all of the necessary searching to put the tike on fish...

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

It varies Rocky.

At times you catch them both and otehr times they are targeting different water columns.

Headed out in an hour gonna target some 'eye action. Due to current snow conditions will be workin a different location rather than my usual hardwater spot. Hope all goes well!

I hit it again over the weekend (COLD!!!!) the fish were neutral and not responding to jigging at all. I used a gray #4 circle hook/ 3 split shots 11-12 inches up, with the smallest shiners that were in my bucket. I was marking fish that were right on the bottom, I didn't mark any fish suspended but twice my bobber went down like it was a crappie but I didn't get 'em. Three walleyes in the 15-18 inch range and not another soul on the spot and maybe 2 other guys on the lake.

To all the naysayers from before, I haven't seen another person or house even near the spot that I posted earlier.

not another soul on the spot and maybe 2 other guys on the lake.

To all the naysayers from before, I haven't seen another person or house even near the spot that I posted earlier.

Wow, I havent been out there yet this year, but 2 guys on the whole lake??? Thats unusual... keep hammerin em, Berens and dont let the haters get you down!

"How's the ice there? vehicle drivable yet?"

I think the lake is drivable in spots but there is still a lot of slush in the middle.

"2 guys on the whole lake??? Thats unusual..."

Not really, it was 10 below zero and falling with the wind speed picking up. I could see 2 trucks in the area just out from the access.

I was out last night (6th)and saw fish on the camera but couldn't get them to go. I saw wave after wave of large schools of perch come through the area maybe that played into it.

"I was out last night (6th)and saw fish on the camera but couldn't get them to go. I saw wave after wave of large schools of perch come through the area maybe that played into it."

I think you're right. I had the same problem about a week ago out there. Perch ran 'em out of the area.

Keep up the postin love to hear about the back yard pond

Would it be worth my time to try and target some pannies on Grand? and if so...what would be some very GENERAL spots or portions of the lake to begin punching some holes? thanks

Hory, Just out about 200 yards from the landing and to the left. You should punch holes ranging from 8 feet to 12 until you find em'. When you do the sunny bite can be fast and furious. If you know where the sunken island is out from Grand View resort, that place is a crappie magnet this time of year. Good luck.

fished Grand yesterday with out much luck, Caught and released a 13" Walleye in about 18'FOW then nothing but small Perch. Moved to 24 FOW and zilch. Moved again to 22 FOW and caught another small walleye which was also released. didn't mark any fish suspended and couldn't get anything to come in jigging. Quite a few houses on the lake and I'm not sure how other people fared.

Don't worry osok, I fished Grand yesterday too and you did better than my buddy and I. We punched about 15 holes between 15-24 FOW and all we could catch was small 4" perch. I threw 7 different kinds of smoke at them and moved around like crazy from 10-3:30 then stayed in the fish house until 6pm in 22'. I grew up on this lake and it broke my heart again, now I remember why I don't fish it in the winter. If anyone has any tips on how to get the Grand eyes to bite I would love to see some luck on this lake.

FlyRodAddiction, as soon as I figure out how and where to fish that lake I promise I will let you know, might be time to hit the deeper water structures. Apparently on a lake I fish farther north the walleyes are already in mid winter waters.

osok- I guess I have been calling this jigs by the wrong name Northland now calls them a "TIP-UP JIG HEAD"...

From the Northland website: "The TIP-UP JIG HEAD has become the clear choice of serious Walleye and Bass anglers across the country. It is designed with a unique "stand-up" head and patented "Double-Barb™" hook that prevents fish from spitting the hook, shaking loose and getting away! A "Barb-Wire™ bait-holding collar also serves to hold soft plastic worms, grubs & live bait securely on the hook. It sticks ‘em, hooks ‘em & holds ‘em!"

I like 'em because I can set the jig on the sand and the minnow head is still an inch off the bottom. Google TIP-UP JIG HEAD if you want to see what it looks like (Or look on Northland's site).

• 10 months later...

I tried the North side of the lake, east of the outlet, yesterday... the size of the walleyes seems to be a little bigger this year but I only caught two. Lots of northerns in the 1-3lb range and 4 crappies with the biggest being 12 1/4. Mostly the same presentation as last year but I did go to a 3/8 oz jig because I wanted to get a bigger sand plume when I dropped it on the bottom.