• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cool Cats 2010 - Sat. March 6, 2010 - Starts 8 am

I will be there if I don't have to work!

I'm thinking of picking up one of the 6 man hub style houses so I'll have plenty of space for cooking/cleaning fish if need be.

not positive about the date yet but if I do make it..we should car pool, nick.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Borch

• harvey lee

• DTro

• Brad B

Top Posters In This Topic

do these cats bite at any certian times of the day?

The two times I was up there this year it was better at night, but they bit all day.

thinking of maybe heading up there this weekend to try for some cats. i see the methhole is a popular spot. any depths in particular to look for? first time trying for catfish and would love to get on them, so any info would be greatly apprecited.

thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Check out the St Cloud forum. There's pages and pages of great info there regarding cats on the chain thru the ice.

Can't wait, I'll be there with KMR85 and his wife. Got a itch'n for cat fish'n! Any suggestions on where to pick up golden shiners?

Shiners are very tough to find that time of year as walleye and pike are closed. Buy them in advance and freeze what dies.

I know where to find big shiners right now, but they’re not gold shiners. I can probably keep them alive until the event, should I buy them even though they aren’t gold? Not sure of the difference between gold and silver when it comes to winter cats.

Can't wait, I'll be there with KMR85 and his wife. Got a itch'n for cat fish'n! Any suggestions on where to pick up golden shiners?

The wife has to work, so it will be you and me. Her and I might drive to the chain tomorrow for a scouting trip. She didn't sound to enthusiastic on the phone today though.

I know where to find big shiners right now, but they’re not gold shiners. I can probably keep them alive until the event, should I buy them even though they aren’t gold? Not sure of the difference between gold and silver when it comes to winter cats.

cant imagine the cats would really care, if they are biting they will hit almost anything alive or dead. cut frozen sucker is my favorite bait, usually the larger fish like that better, live fatheads also work well, things like chicken livers and stink bait also work, but for whatever reason usually catch smaller fish off those..

Tip a Go Devil with the head of a fathead and you will be fine.

I would strongly suggest picking up a tub a Chicken Liver wink. We caught 40+ cats this evening and 90% were caught on Livers. The average size was a bit smaller, but the steady action made up for it no doubt, plus we managed several over 20".

Also, make sure it's the Golden Plump brand, the cats prefer the "local" flavor laugh

My kids are dying to catch a catfish and this looks like a great way to do it. I'm a rookie at this myself. I'm setup for walleyes, but I don't know that that is heavy enough. What type of setup do you need and what are some basic tackle choices? Is it jigging?

One can jig or use a deadstick. When I use a deadstick, I will use a bobber like the Ice Buster bobber or the newer Venom bobber. These cats can bite very light and one at times needs some light tips on the rods and or a bobber. Spring bobbers also work very well for the jigging rods.

As far as joigging spoons, there are many that will catch some channels.

I really like the Lindy Flyin spoon in the 1/8 oz size in red. The Go-Devils work well also. I have also use some Lindy Slick Jigs and a few others.

As Dtro stated, bring along some chicken livers. For the jigging spoon, I tip mine with fatheads and maybe sonme cut bait in smaller pieces.

Walleye gear is fine but make sure it has a fast action tip or use a spring bobber also. 4# test is plenty for the channels.

Borch, You and I have some discussing to do about getting this circus on the road. Keeping in mind that an army of fishermen moves on its stomach, we have to do logistics planning. I work tomorrow and my work number is 952-993-5104. After 3pm, I'll be home and my no. there is 952-933-4929. Give me a ring.

with the recent snow amounts. i am wondering about travel to the area from the winter landing. will we need wheelers with sleds or is it ok for trucks and 4wd. this is a must do event that i look forward to every year. hope to see many of you there. it is LOADS of fun and a great way to celebrate our sport. ... paul

WE were out to the Meth Hole yesterday and it wasn't bad. If you have a 4 wheel drive, I would bring it.

I did see one front wheel drive van on the lake and he got there ok but he did have a few tough times at that.

A lot can change between now and then, but the road as of yesterday is in great shape. Once you get off the main path it's a little dicey with 2wd, but still doable. My guess is that there will be plenty of people out there to pack things down a bit.

Well Cool Cats is just around the corner and I thought I’d go through some of the tackle and gear I like to use for ice fishing channels on the Horseshoe chain. First is the electronics. I use both the Marcum lx5 and the Hummingbird Ice55 flashers. These catfish can show up anywhere in the water column. Often the most active fish are cruising 10-15 ft off the bottom. If you’re not using electronics you’re just not going to catch these cruisers that tend to be more active. Also the electronics help to be ready for these often light biting fish. Often they will sit on a bait for long periods of time before lightly sucking in your offering. If you’re using a bobber it will be seen as a small twitch. If you’re jigging you’ll likely not notice it.

DSC00638.jpg

There are lots of rods that will work for icing cats. I really like the Jason Mitchell Meat Stick for a jigging rod when the bite is light. The tip acts as a spring bobber and it gets into backbone quickly. Otherwise, any medium-light to medium action rod spooled with 4 or 6 lb test will get the job done.

For bite detection I like the Ice buster Bobber by Today’s Tackle that can be trimmed to be very sensitive to even the lightest bite. The Rod Rocker II, also made by Today’s Tackle, is a great bite detection system especially in the fish house or on the ice on calm days. The lightest tap will bob the rod without alerting the fish. The new Venom bobbers that are adjustable without actually cutting the bobber itself work very well also.

DSC00639.jpg

Now for the jigs and spoons I like to use. The Lindy Rattlin Flyers are my favorite cat spoon with the glow red being my go to color. I also likeJB Lures Rattlin Varmits in glow red or white. I’ve also caught more cats than I can count on Go Devil spoons. I use 1/16 to 1/8 oz versions when targeting cats. I also use #4 or #6 Lindy Frostie Jigs, Custom Jigs and Spins Demons and JB Lures Ju Ju in various glow colors.

At times you need to charge up the glow bait to get them glowing bright. A tazer light or other intense LED light will get this done. Also forceps or a needle nose pliers are handy for getting hooks out of the tough tissue around the cats mouth.

Now for the catfish bait itself. Using half a fathead, cut sucker, cut shiner or a piece of chicken liver will get the interest of a hungry channel cat. All will work whether on a deadstick or jigging set up.

For a lot more great info on fishing cats on the chain check out this thread.

Good Luck!

I'm wondering if someone has a fish fryer they can bring along for cool cats. I'll bring one and the oil. It's nice to have two going for a big group.

Hey Borch, how does a guy go about contacting you? I'm wondering what to bring for camp kitchen equipment. I don't want to haul extra stuff if someone else already has it covered. Leave me a number or call me. My phone numbers are listed on an earlier post.

You can shoot me an email at jeffonthewater at aol dot com.

When I get a chance I'll sift through the thread and get your # Bob and give you a call.

with the recent snow amounts. i am wondering about travel to the area from the winter landing. will we need wheelers with sleds or is it ok for trucks and 4wd.

I'm wondering if someone has a fish fryer they can bring along for cool cats. I'll bring one and the oil. It's nice to have two going for a big group.

I can't make it to this again as usual mad

But if you guys need an extra fish fryer you can take mine if anyone from Belle Plaine(like Papa Grump for instance) is going and wants to pick it up.

Well most of us who are planning on coming probably know by now if we can make it. Let's try to get a head count so we'll have an idea how many to plan for.

So let's do the math. Add you total to the total prior to your post.

I will have 3 including myself.

So next would be 3 plus thier total and so on. wink