• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cool Cats 2010 - Sat. March 6, 2010 - Starts 8 am

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Mark your calendars for what has turned into one of the highlights of the hard water season!

Host: Borch

When is the event

Sat Mar 6th 2010 8am

What will we be catching?

Channel Catfish with an occasional Walleye,Crappie and Rock Bass mixed in

Where is the event?

Cool Cats will be on the Horseshoe Chain of Lakes located near Richmond/Cold Spring MN. Roughly 1.5 hrs Northwest of the Twin Cites. From 94 take 23 west to Richmond and then take 22 south to the lake.

We will be fishing the Methane or "Meth" hole. There are two popular points of access. The best one to use for vehicles is the winter access. Please monitor this thread closer to the event to confirm current ice conditions.

coolcats.jpg

What should I bring?

First and foremost, a big smile, because you will be using it a lot smile

Typically we use basic walleye gear for catching the cats. We will set up one pole with an Ice Buster bobber or equivalent and a plain red hook with a cut piece of minnow (Fathead or Golden shiner) set just above the bottom, and then jig with the other pole rigged with a jigging spoon/minnow head. JB Lures Rattling Varmint in glow red is favorite among the catters.

A spring bobber has proven to be helpful for the light bite days.

Also as in years past, we will be having a potluck at noon, so bring along a favorite food item to share. Hopefully we can work out frying up some catfish as well.

Bring along the whole family and stay for a couple hours or stay all day.

We will try to get a bunch of holes punched for those that don't have an auger.

Click here to see the recap from last year

Hope to see you all there!

Copy courtesy of dtro from last year. Thanks Darren.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Borch

• harvey lee

• DTro

• Brad B

Top Posters In This Topic

The cat population is in great shape and catching them can be a blast. Last year we had one group who sat on "The Spot" and caught cats all day long. The rest of the group had good action too.

Look forward to seeing you all there!

Cool Cats is a blast, had a great time last year and would not miss it for anything this year!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My 8 year old son told me last night that in 2010 he wants to either catch a catfish or shoot a mountain lion in Nevada (thanks a lot Outdoor Channel)I've never done either myself, so it looks like the Cool Cats outing may be our best shot at getting him his goal!

We'll try to get a head count as we get closer. But 30+ folks usually show up. Some years quite few more than 30.

Borch as it get closer will you have a idea of what each person plans to bring to share. I would hate to bring the same thing as someone else.

I've got the day scheduled as vacation from work to be there. I'll be bringing a big kettle of beans and I'll have my camp kitchen there so my camp stove can heat up whatever needs heating. I came up ill last year and didn't make it, so I have some making up to do in the fish department. See you guys on the ice.

Looking forward to seeing you again Bob. Was out there tonight and there are plenty of cats around.

Count me in Borch. I missed last year and its to much fun to miss again.

This is Harvey Lee and not Eric.

I will bring some goodies and my Lindy Flyin Rattlin jigs in red.

If anyone needs JB Rattlin Varmits in red, check them out in the Outdoor Pro Store.

I’m going to try and make this one, as it is usually the highlight of my year. Just getting up there for Bob’s beans is worth the drive. We missed you last year Bob.

For those on the fence, I can tell you that I’ve already been fishing up there on the Sauk Chain 4 times and I think 30 is the least number we have caught.

Be sure to check in with Borch as to getting a few tips, he’s been doing this a long time, and it takes a special touch when the kitties are on light bite.

I also have a few videos floating around that demonstrates just how light the bite can get.

However, even if they don’t bite it is ALWAYS a good time!

I would like to come, I would be bringing the wife and a buddy ... I want to hit the chain before the cool cats event so I can get the hang of it first.

Red hooks

spoons

minnows

missing anything that would help me?

I am heading out to the chain on Sunday for a little "pre" fishing, hopefully the bite is still going on after this cold snap.

I would like to come, I would be bringing the wife and a buddy ... I want to hit the chain before the cool cats event so I can get the hang of it first.

Red hooks

spoons

minnows

missing anything that would help me?

JB Lures Rattlin Varmit in red

Lindy Rattlin Flyer in red.

Both of these lures work very well. Check out the JB varmits here.

http://www.outdoorprostore.com/jb-lures.html

Chuckwagon,

I plan on showcasing some of the typcial gear a couple weeks before the get together. Harvey Lee hit several of my favorite cat baits. That 1/8 oz Lindy Rattlin Flyer Spoon in glow red is my go to jigging spoon.

But at times they want stuff that is smaller and a small jig like a #6 frostie jig below a ice buster bobber can be hot with a small piece of cut sucker or half a fathead. Last time out the bite was very, very light and a small jig work with a Jason Mitchell Meat Stick was the ticket. The cats wanted the bait jigged but in a small package and with a very light pick up. Sometimes a spring bobber will work get as well.

More to come later including pics.

Thank you much Borch and Harvey, I will be sure to pick up some gear you have offered. Cant wait to get up there!

Its Joey the fishermans birthday that day and guess what he whats for his b-day to catch a cat. Thats my boy.. should be a blast missed last year due to head gasket in my truck went out well this year the trucks head cracked this past Thursday and I have another truck so I'm going to make it one way or another.

I will be there if I don't have to work!

I'm thinking of picking up one of the 6 man hub style houses so I'll have plenty of space for cooking/cleaning fish if need be.

Wish I could make it but already something (Leech Lake perch fishing) on the calendar. Had fun last year and the fish fry was amazing.

Good luck to all whom attend.

I might have to make this one. After my first trip up there this weekend I can't wait to go again!! And I hear the beans alone make the drive worth it.

For those of you wanting to see what it's all about I updated the link to the recap of last years event in the initial post of this thread. Several pics and testimonials found with the new link.

Lots of fun that's for sure!

• 4 weeks later...

My 8 year old son told me last night that in 2010 he wants to either catch a catfish or shoot a mountain lion in Nevada (thanks a lot Outdoor Channel)I've never done either myself, so it looks like the Cool Cats outing may be our best shot at getting him his goal!

LMAO

Gotta love kids!

Sounds like a fun trip, let me know when you are going! grin