• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FishingJunky

• hector00

• band collector

• jamessingkeo

I checked the ice out on Saturday and it was only .25 inches. I seen a guy fishing right off the far east boat launch area but he was only 3 feet out. I would give it another week or so to produce some good ice. On a positive note the snow that fell there fell before the lake skimmed over with ice so it should be making some nice ice right now smile. Happy fishing and stay safe

Fishingjunky,My son and me wil be on the ice this Saturday.My daughter was o n the ice there on Winona Lake today.After school talked to some guys on the ice.Getting gills and nortern.ICE JOHN

IceJohn, I did not get a chance to check out the ice depth today like i wanted to. Do you know how much ice is on lake winona now?

I want to get out saturday or sunday but I want to go somewhere where the ice is safe enough to setup my shack and fish with a buddy. I like 4 inches of nice clear ice for me to feel safe. Thanks for the reply and good luck fishing on Saturday smile

She didnt say how thick it was.But I am betting on it be thicker even more by Saturday with the temps.we are having on.Hope to see you on the ice.We will be on the north pond to start stop by.ICE JOHN

I have been fishing an area there were the ice is 5 inches. The crappies are giving it up around dark, with two 13s thurs. I would keep the shacks away until its very dark. could only catch baby gills inside because they are seeing the shack. Bro Bugs tipped with a waxie. Oh yeah no lights in shack after dark, you will get more action.

I'm on 8" right now, I would like to catch some northerns anyone point me in the right direction on lake winona east bay is pretty dead... Wanna catch something... Never caught a northern on lake winona yet n I wanna do it this season! Ill be out tomorrow somewhere on winona look for the green quick fish 3 n call out my name! Ill say hi

Last year i did really good on lake winona with crappies. We must have caught over 500 of them. It is really hit and miss out there though. If i dont catch any within 10 minutes i move. We caught 75 in one day last year. All C&R of course. We even caught a few that were 16". I use minnows out there though to keep the gills off the hook and crappies seem to like them better than waxies. I use big lures out there too. Last year the best producer for me was a 1 inch frosty spoon with a red trouble hook tipped with a minnow. A guy pulled out a 42" northern out of there but i have yet to catch one. I did catch a 22" walleye out there though. Only walleye I have ever caught there though in the 10 years I have fished it.

I hear ya on the hit or miss, what side was that northern caught on, I saw a monster last year... That was on the west lake... are the panfish being caught in the shallows or deep?

The northern was caught on the east lake on the south side of it. I have never fished over there through the ice..I do bass fish it in the summer though but it seems shallow and weedy. I have had the best luck for the panfish on the drops anywhere from 13-17 fow. I drill a lot of holes around the area i am fishing so i can try to follow the fish. They bite all day out there you just have to be right on them.

I have not been on the backwaters yet this year for ice fishing. I like the ice to be really thick whenever there is current under the ice. I have had luck in the past right off the dike road leading into prairie island. There is a culvert where water comes in from the other side and the ice is usually thin there so be careful. there is usually good fishing out there though. You can catch eyes, northern, big perch, crappies, etc out there. It can be slow there, I have been skunked more than once there but when the fishing is good it is really good.

Fished near Pioneer campground today. Second finger to be exact. It was our first time out there so we were a little unsure where to go.

Drilled several holes all over. Ice was anywhere from 5-9 inches thick. Spotted very few fish on the Vex, pretty slow day to say the least.

One thing to be aware of is the ice along the shoreline. Some spots are ok and some look pretty iffy. Lots of people out walking between each section. Hopefully someone was catching fish out there....

Lake Winona my son and me fished it Saturday and Sunday morning.Got lots of gills and 7 nice crappie.Some small perch and 3 small Wallys.1 17"lmb.we had a great time will be back up there in Jan.when my daughter is back in college.ICE JOHN

The bigger lake toward hospital in 10' think we where on a hump 30' was not too far from us.We used Ratso and spikes.Hope to find where the crappie hang out.The ones we caught were really nice.I will post the next I come up.ICE JOHN

Went out there yesterday and got skunked. Could not even mark a fish. Hopefully i will have better luck this weekend. It couldnt get much worse.

went out on lake winona today and didnt catch much of anything. a few small gills. I know this summer the lake got hit really hard and guys were keeping lots of fish, hopefully they left a few. its not a big lake, so it can only take so much beating.

Went out again tonight. Got skunked again. I have never been skunked out there and this is twice now in a week. tried 10feet - 30 fow. I give up. Going to fairibault from now on.

Can you drive a 4 wheeler on Lake Winona?Also is there alot of snow on the ice now?I will be up there Sunday for 3 or 4 days.If things go good at Mayo clinic.ICE JOHN

There is 8-9 inches of nice clear ice and about 1 inch of snow ice on top. I would think most places are plenty safe for a four wheeler out there. Avoid the aerator though. Very thin ice over there and open water. I avoid that end of the lake entirely. best fishing is on the hospital end anyway. The aerator over there is turned off this year too so the ice should be safe through out that side. I just bring a sled since it is such easy pulling right now out there and it is a small lake.

There is an areator on the side by the hospital, hae the ducks left that alone now and thats froze over or is the thing on and the ducks in it? Might try tip ups on the huff street side of the east lake tonight for a bit...

The aerator by the hospital is off. They want the ducks to get out of there so thats why they turned it off. The other one by huff street is still on though and some open water over there. 10 inches of ice last night on hospital end but very slow fishing. had a bite but thats about it. I think the backwaters is the only thing producing right now.

It was a zoo out there today. at least 15 trucks out on the ice. Looked like a little ice community out there. No idea why though. I had a bite but thats it. Is anyone actually catching anything out there?

Ihave not been catching much at all other than little sunnies on lake winona. Has anyone had much luck with tip ups in the winona area? I am thinking of going out today for some northerns and bass maybe take a break from the pan fish today.

Fishing lake winona was good yesterday but verey verey cold. we caught one eye 12" threw it back, one sauger 13" kept, dozen gills kept one, 20 croppie kept 16. Me and my wife and son had fun fishing, it was good day and did get skunk. see a lot of cars on the ice woundering how they did out there.

James, how deep was the water you were in? i have been trying 15-35 fow with no luck and every lure i have.

32 feet, seem like the croppies were in a shcool coming in and out. wax or a minnow head, like to swith it so it look interesting for the fishing insted of looking at the same bait over. change the color of your jig to helps alot.

what hours were you fishing out there? I have been trying the afternoons from 3-9. was the 32 feet of water by the hospital?

you can email me if you want so a bunch of people dont jump on your spot. I am catch and release only so dont worry about me taking them all smile I just want to find a spot where my wife can catch some fish and have fun instead of freezing her butt off staring at a hole. Thanks.

[email protected]