• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pup killed by conibear trap....

T&KK

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Considering the topic you guys are staying fairly cool. Thank you for that.

Sorry about your pup.

jparrucci, when you cool off a bit you'll realize that your beliefs and PETA's are much much different.

If your goal is to "safer" trapping practices you'll be a lot more effective going a different route and stand a better chance of being taken serious as opposed to being associated with a bunch of lunatics.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• walleyes12

• T&KK

• jparrucci

• benbosh

And after 3 pages of another controverisal issue with so many trappers who are pro-trapping on public land, not one of you has posted anything about how to release a pet from a conibear trap.

Its also in the 2009 hunting and trapping regulations booklet on page 53

... never mind, SneakAttack put the sneak attack on me and beat me to putting it on here grin

Ben,

I'm not a trapper so I pay no attention to the trapping reg's. But thanks for pointing out the location of the info. smile

Thanks for posting that info guys, it is helpful to those of us that don't trap. I'm very sorry for the loss of this pup, but also grateful for the trappers and the benefit to the small game population.

I would like to get into trapping when I move out of the cities and have learned a lot from reading your posts in this forum. Thanks.

Ben,

I'm not a trapper so I pay no attention to the trapping reg's. But thanks for pointing out the location of the info. smile

Either am I but sometimes I just look at stuff just 'cause. I even read the Wild Rice regulations and to be honest, I dont even know what it looks like for sure other than what it looks like in my turkey soup or with my pheasant in the crock pot grin

Good info guys. I guess we all should be able to utilize the same lands some how. We all pay for it equally. Im a bird hunter and I have a choc lab that does all the work. I feel lucky I have never had a problem but that could also be because of responsible trapping practices. Thanks to all the trappers that use good judgement. If we all keep each other in mind, negative experiences should minimalized

First off, it's very sad to hear about the pup.

I am a very novice trapper. They only real trapping I have done has been up north of Bemidji for beaver and coon. Didn't get any. I have family in SW MN and hunt public land down there. I do not think it is as bad as some people think. Sure, there are not as sharp people everywhere, but a pandemic no.

As far as banning ANY of our outdoors privileges is a bad idea. Think about it for a minute, you successfully ban trapping in the state. What is next? With one win the PETA folks and many other organizations will be salivating to ban hunting and fishing next. Because, fish have feelings too!

I cherish my time in the field be it hunting or trapping. Neither I am great at since I am self taught, my Dad was not much of an outdoorsman. He would rather hit little white balls into a hole in the ground, which is also fun!

Wow I really thought this topic would be heated by the time I got to work this morning, but its been very cool. Like I mentioned before, I am a serious trapper, I have friends that trap for the goverment, to help ranchers out west. I am too trying to get a job with the goverment to trap for ranchers. so some of you bleieve it or not we trappers are doing good.

I was thinking about this last night, if you non trappers are concered about a trap our a trapper in your area, please call your local CO!! I have had a few times were a non trapper saw my trap and called our CO. The CO officer then called me up, told me I was doing nothing illegal, but someone is concerened about your trap. I then would go and apologize to the home owner, give them my business card, and pull my traps. Both times the land owner gave me 80 more acres to trap. My best advice is stay in contact with your CO, work together! Lets not start bashing other hunting groups, we all enjoy the outdoors!!

I might have to look up the WI trapping laws - when I used conibears for fisher there were rules in regards to using a cubby with only a certain size entrance plus it had to be recessed inside it X amount as well. Believe it was no more than 49 or 50 square inches, which is what a 220 is, and had to be in 10 inches? When I trapped it would have taken a pretty small and narrow dog to have gotten in there.

Now of course for coons you'd need a slightly different cubby setup, exactly what that would be I don't know. However it seems like a logical way to allow trapping and minimize such accidents. Maybe I'm missing something, have only trapped for fishers one year so I'm very limited on experience.

Getting a dog out of a 220 is no easy task. Next time your in a store that sells traps try squeezing the springs of a 220 together and getting the saftey hook set. Now imagine a 80 or 100 pound dog thrashing around. It's not going to be easy given the amount of time your going to have getting the trap off before doing harm to the dog.

I don't trap public land. If somebody wants me to trap their land for predator control the first thing i ask about it dogs. If they have them they must keep them tied up or i wont trap. period. I also ask them to talk to their neighbors and let them know someone is trapping in the area.

I'm don't want trapping banned on public land either. What I believe in is a heighten amount of responsibility through very minimal regulation. I can't stand peta so don't think i'm agreeing with anything they say either. My only gripe is that there is no safety on a trap so if they won't place boundaries then trapers need to be more educated and responsible for what they catch. If you place your trap where you catch a dog, be ready to pay for the consequence. That way it is up to you to take the risk. Maybe the half witted trappers would get weeded out and the rest of the good population of trapers would get a better image in the public eye. I appreciate all the responsible trapers posting on here, but unfortunately not everyone is as level headed as you. If as many dogs got shot as caught in traps, people would be going crazy.

Was out grouse hunting yesterday with my springer Kira. She's only 30lbs and a great little bird hunter, grouse, pheasant. We were hunting a low area full of deadfalls, along a cut, north of Crosslake. After 2 hrs of no birds or tracks we were nearing a logging road, when she gets birdy. Finally a bird, I thought. Lucky for us she was only 10 feet in front of me when I spotted something out of place, just in front of her. Conibear set in a box, baited with a dead pheasant! So does it make sense to bait with game bird remains when typically at this time of the year the many outdoors men are bird hunting? Consider us birds hunters, when trapping. Kira was just doing what she loves and was breed to do. Unfortunately, in this situation it almost cost me my best friend!

There needs to be a system of marking sets!!!!!

Thankyou recon,

This is exactly what i am talking about. Trapers need to figure out a way to weed out the dumb to save what they love to do and their god given right. With rights comes responsibility.

Thankyou recon,

This is exactly what i am talking about. Trapers need to figure out a way to weed out the dumb to save what they love to do and their god given right. With rights comes responsibility.

Come On! Thats true for all outdoor activities!!!!! Trapers have just as much rights as you do

Thankyou recon,

In that respect, lets weed all the dumb people out of fishing and hunting. Force hunter ed courses every 10 years for people who want to particpate. Never mind that a majority of sportsmen know what they are doing and are doing it respectfully and ethically. Punish everyone because of the a small minority.

Sound argument....

I would be devastated if one of my dogs got caught in a trap and killed. They go everywhere with me and are like part of the family. I have had them get caught in snares and leg hold traps while on public land, luckily no conibears. Those are the risks you take when taking your dogs off your property unleashed, they may get killed by a trap, wolf, car, whatever. They do not have a right to run loose on public land it is a privilege and trapping is not going to get banned because a few peoples pets are get caught each year. Dogs will lose out before humans do. I enjoy taking my dogs outdoors and there is already enough public land they are not allowed loose on.

I could argue hunting creates far bigger problems then trapping does and the facts are probably there to prove it. Instead of finger pointing maybe the better way of going about this would be for a bird hunting group or dog club to approach the Minnesota Trappers Association to let them know their concerns and see if they would publish a article in their magazine with ideas on how to help keep pets safe. I bet they would be more then happy to put it in there and it would be more proactive then joining peta or finger pointing between groups.

JayinMN- Great Post, Trappers and dog owners need to work together!!! I also do alot of pheasant hunting wtih my springer! I also carry a pair of "setters" in my hunting vest incase my dog finds a conibear. Myself, I am more than willing to work with dog owners and bird hunters, as long as there willing to work with trappers. I am not going to stand for finder pointing at trappers!!! Its a two way street!

Finger pointing gets you no where. Common sense needs to rule the roost when it comes to public property whether you are hunting, fishing, hiking, ATV'ing, trapping, hunting with your camera, what ever. Common sense in all situations will usually avoid tagic results.

I am not familiar with conibear traps, never seen one, would have no idea what a cubby set looks like or what to look for, I have read about them in fur, fish and game, but if I was out bird hunting and stumbled across one, I would be at a loss as to how to free a dog or even myself from the trap.

If you are going to be outdoors and pursue activities on public lands and waterways, you need to respect the other people using that land. If you are trapping, mark them so others know they are there, if you are hunting with a dog, keep an eye on your dog. Responibility is not controlled by an area code or an address, it is something we all have to do.........

Trappers have a really short fuse. In my earlier post I really made an effort to not tick anyone off. Using game bird remains as bait for a conibear trap during open season for those gamebirds is inexcusable and down right stupid. It really ticked me off!!! So am I supposed to keep her on a leash while hunting on public land? That trap was set as much to catch a hunting dog as it was any fisher, fox or whatever, because off the bait used, in my opinion! I guess I'll have to teach Kira the difference between bird scent that is wild and one that is stupid,inconsiderate. That particular trap will never catch another animal of any kind!

I can't answer that for you Recon, I don't even know if it is legal to use gamebirds for bait in a set, can a trapper please shed some light on that? The good thing is that you did keep your eye on your dog, you were being responsible for you dog. There are risks in life, no matter how safe you try and be, getting out of bed everyday is taking a risk.

I understand your frurstration as well, but, now there is a trapper out there with a ruined conibear trap. I am assuming you did something to his legally set trap judging by your last sentence. I am pretty sure that was an illegal act in itself too.

IS there answer to this? Not really, and we all know that too.

Trappers have a really short fuse. In my earlier post I really made an effort to not tick anyone off. Using game bird remains as bait for a conibear trap during open season for those gamebirds is inexcusable and down right stupid. It really ticked me off!!! So am I supposed to keep her on a leash while hunting on public land? That trap was set as much to catch a hunting dog as it was any fisher, fox or whatever, because off the bait used, in my opinion! I guess I'll have to teach Kira the difference between bird scent that is wild and one that is stupid,inconsiderate. That particular trap will never catch another animal of any kind!

Did you contact anyone? Did you call you local CO to make sure everything was legal? OR did you just come on this site to blame ALL trappers, and want chages, but dont want to take the responsiblity or effort to do so yourself?

People would like to see traps marked but the problem with that is setting a marked trap on public land is asking for it to get stolen. Tampering with traps is illegal so is stealing them, but it does not stop people. Above is an example. Traps cost a lot and they get stolen when found. People have the right to hunt public land and take their dog if they so chose, I have the right to trap if I choose too. I can use bird guts if I would like, if I do it does not give you the right to steal my traps. Its not being inconsiderate, its what I have on hand. Most critters are not found of ground hamburger, except dogs so you save the scraps of what you harvest earlier. No where on the law books does your dog have the right to roam loose on public land and interfere with others use of the land. Its your responsibility to keep the dog safe, if that means keeping it leashed, then yes, keep your dog leashed on public land. There is NO excuse for stealing, tampering with traps, harassing trappers or any other group of outdoors men because your interests differ. If I was bow hunting and your bird dog comes by should I shoot it because its interrupting my hunt? Like it or not, a dog and a trap are both property of the person who owns them. Just like I don't have the right to damage your property if it interrupts my hunt, you don't have the right to damage or steal someones traps on your hunt. Its a privilege to take a dog in the field not a god given right. Don't abuse that fact for other dog owners. I enjoy taking mine in the woods and accept the risks. Lets do the right thing now and call the tag on the trap and give it back to its owner. You would like your dog back if it ran off. smile

I am glad I saw this thread. I guess I never thought about it but always assumed trapping was not allowed on public lands. I would just assume it is too much of a liablity. I understand the land should be for everybody's use but the big difference is if I were to shoot somebody else or their dog while hunting I am held accountable for it because I pulled the trigger. Thus trappers should be held accountable in my opinion. I at least have control over the trigger, where as you could be 100's of miles away from the trap while somebody's beloved pet dies because of your actions. It is just being irresponsible as a human being as far as I am concerned.

Originally Posted By: T&KK
Thankyou recon,

In that respect, lets weed all the dumb people out of fishing and hunting. Force hunter ed courses every 10 years for people who want to particpate. Never mind that a majority of sportsmen know what they are doing and are doing it respectfully and ethically. Punish everyone because of the a small minority.

Sound argument....

That is exactly why I took advanced hunter safety, to be better trained and for respecting fellow hunters, trapers, fishermen, hikers, campers, and whoever else crosses the path of an outdoorsman. And now that you mention that, not a bad idea. Force everyone to be certified in advanced hunter education after the age of 18 or 21 or 30 or whatever. Why not? Its a very valuable course and it taught me a lot. I have been shot at by a fellow bird hunter standing 70 years infront of him wearing blaze orange. He is also half minded and should be weeded out. I'm not singling out trapers as being the only group that has people who give them a bad name. Tiger woods just gave golfing a slanted name for a bit (golfers said it was a known fact that he was fooling around but tiger was their meal ticket), but that has nothing to do with this thread. All sports that harvest animals are under constant scrutiny by certain parties. What I'm saying is that it takes people like you and me to ensure people that hurt our outdoor rights are educated or lose the right to participate. I want more than anything to share the ourdoors with fellow outdoorsmen who are advocates of responsible, respectful, and educated practices, and yes that includes trapers. I have not pointed my finger at a specific group, just the need for responsibility and education. My opening statement clearly stated my intentions that I was not attacking trapers and that it was meant for education and clarification. We all take pride in what we do, so why don't we look out for each other.

Who all here has taken the time to take the advanced training that is offered?

And I apoligize if my earlier post was taken as a personal attack towards trapers. I also know that it is up to me to take action to protect my rights when I see people acting within the law but being irreponsible hunting and fishing.

Public land is just that public land, If you don't want to take chances don't hunt public land during trapping season. They have just as many rights as bird hunters.

That's really too bad about your pup, I would also be ticked off, but being a past trapper and an avid outdoorsman, if the person that set he trap was legal than he/she had every right to place it in the ditch. There is no need to call him/her lazy, that is a place that game would be. There should not be any pointing fingers, seems to me to be something that happens. We are all people that enjoy the outdoors, lets take the good with the bad. I am sorry for the loss of your pup.