• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sitka Gear????

Sproguy

Anybody own any of their gear? I did a lot of research this fall before buying product and they are the top of the price range. Wondering if they also walk the walk?

Have never spoke to anyone that actually put it on their bodies and sat in a tree stand in the Upper Midwest.

Thanks!

I don't own any yet either, but like you have been doing some research. I was actually just checking out their new stuff with Gore Optifade today. Nice but spendy. My old Browning Hydrofleece and layers of hand-me-downs are getting pretty seasoned.

It looks like nice stuff, I think it is over priced for the type of hunting most on here do. If you were doing alot of extreme hunting trips in the mountains or in Alaska then ya it may be worth it to you. It would be nice to use here in MN as well if you have the money to spend on it. Otherwise I think its a little over priced.

There is a site that sell it at dicount of 40-75%. They do 1 item a day and most of the time it Sitka gear. I would look there first if you are looking to try them out. Check back there tomorrow, todays Item is a flashlight.

Note from Admin, please read forum policy before posting again, thank you.

Yep, I own a bunch of it- it's great stuff! However, I really don't think it's worth the money for sitting in a treestand in the Midwest. I own a pair of pants, vest, jacket, hat, and two of their packs. I love all their gear, but I only buy it when it's on sale. The good news is that it's on sale right now at a bunch of places. Cabela's is one of them, but there are a ton of good deals to be had on their product right now. If you have any specific questions about thier stuff, fire away!

I have always thought of Sitka gear as mountain wear and active hunting gear. I don't think its built with the purpose of being sedintary (i.e. sitting in a tree stand) and staying warm. The greatest benefit and what you are paying the big money for is its ability to provide warmth and breathability in a rugged garmet while retaining range of motion (i.e. the benefit is in moving and sitting and moving again or "spot and stalk" hunting). They do make a heated vest, and their layering gear/system is supposed to be great, but as far as their outterwear, I don't think it is build to be super warm on stand, other than the Dutch Oven vest. I think you can acheive what you are looking for in a stand hunting layering system for a lower price. I would look to wool clothing or a heater body suit for stand hunting.

If you are a western hunter, Sitka is supposedly worth every penny.

Thanks Scoot! I guess real question is, I am totally set on base layer stuff so I was looking at the Kelvin Jacket for a layering piece. It seems like a thin piece that won't add a bunch of bulk. I have a nice jacket that I have grown to really like but it isn't insulated enough for this time of year. Great until about 25 degrees then gets a little chilly.

A lot of the insulated pieces I have found are BULKY!!! In theory I like the compressed fit of the Sitka but never met a person that owned it.

If like so many companies (Sitka) they end up being more fluff then substance I will look elsewhere.

I agree with almost everything you said, InTheNorthwoods, but I know many dozens of Western hunters, many of whom live in the West, and other than the ones who are very well off, most say it's not worth the ridiculous price. However, that's 99% a function of the crazy prices and not a statement about the quality of the product. Most I know (who, like me, are not really well off) feel it's worth the 1/2 off prices you can get it for now though...

Spro- this is not a fluff product. It's rock solid and once you get past the sticker shock, it will do everything the company says it will. I have no doubt you could get by with less expensive products if you are just going to use it to sit in a stand, but if you get a Sitka product I'll be you don't regret it.

Originally Posted By: InTheNorthwoods

I agree with almost everything you said, InTheNorthwoods, but I know many dozens of Western hunters, many of whom live in the West, and other than the ones who are very well off, most say it's not worth the ridiculous price. However, that's 99% a function of the crazy prices and not a statement about the quality of the product. Most I know (who, like me, are not really well off) feel it's worth the 1/2 off prices you can get it for now though...

Scoot - I suppose that is true, their prices are pretty steep. I don't know many people who have paid full price or who have the cash on hand to spend it on Sitka without blinking. I know mountain archery has been selling it discounted fairly regularly.

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again, thank you.

I probably would have been better served by stating that I have yet to hear one person say they were disappointed they spent their money on Sitka Gear.

scoot what pattern do you use, what you think of the optifade, seems a little to gray for midwest

First, I'll give you my general take on camo in general-- it's a lot like fishing lures... they are made to catch the person buying them, not fish. Camo doesn't matter a whole lot in my opinion. Like Harvey Lee said- a brown pair of pants and a green/brown shirt would work as well most of the time. I'm much more concerned about playing the wind and not moving then I am about what camo pattern I wear. But... I own a ton of camo and I'm totally guilty of being a sucker and liking the cool camo patterns.

I own the mountain mimicry pattern stuff. Most of what I own is one year or older, so optifade wasn't an option. I'm really not sold on the optifade, but I have no doubt it will work just fine in the midwest and elsewhere too. As far as catching my eye, I've always liked the mountain mimicry pattern.

scoot,

i seen cabelas had that sale and i seen they have the core crew for sale for 39.99. i cant remember if thats the exact name, hopefully you know what im talking about. but i was curious do you think that would work good for a one piece out west for antelope hunting in august when its hot out. Or would it be to warm. thanks.

Honestly, the only Sitka gear I don't own right now are the base layers. If you get their lightest stuff I'm sure it would be great. However, I'm not sure on the name of the shirt as I don't have it and haven't tried it. I can tell you that the Ascent pants would be the absolute cream of the crop for hunting goats...

• 2 months later...

Nothing like resurrecting an old post, but I'm hoping Scoot (or someone else with Sitka Gear experience) can help me a bit in choosing a pair of sitka pants. I am mainly a midwest whitetail hunter, and just got a celsius jacket, but I am wondering about what pants to pair with it. I'm a big layering guy, so I don't think I want to go as heavy as the celsius bibs. But most of our hunting land is quite overrun with multi-flower rose, and I want to make sure the pants will hold up abrasion-wise. Any ideas? Would the 90% or Ascent pants work, or should I look outside of sitka for some tougher pants?

Thanks!

Yeah, this one is back from the grave for sure!

You do not want the Ascent pants for what you're describing. They're awesome, but very thin. Sounds to me like the 90% would fit the bill- a little heavier and tougher.

Shoot me an e-mail at scootsfishing at yahoo

as mentioned in one of the 1st posts, google camofire and they sell alot of the sitka stuff for atleast 50% off

as mentioned in one of the 1st posts, google camofire and they sell alot of the sitka stuff for atleast 50% off

That was long ago, they still have some stuff, if your a "BIG boy" otherwise mtn archery might still have some... pretti hard to find the large size. Also might hel to try this stuff on b4 you buy, I have found it runs a little small. hope that helps, there is also 2 guys on at that can get you some for pretty good deals..