• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Coon Rapids Dam to St Anthony Falls Fishing Reports (Pool 1)

eckum54

I'm kinda new to fishing the upper parts of the Mississippi, and i was wondering if there is any good fishing between the Coonrapids Dam and St Anthony Falls (I believe that this is pool #1), and if you have any good tips as to how to fish it...any help would be great...thanks

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deadeye

• e1teen93

• Slabasaurus

• mrklean

Actually that may be the worst section of the river to fish from Grand Rapids to the Gulf....Very rocky 694 up,best fished from shore. Here the fishing is not bad but it is just dangerous. Below 694 it is a [PoorWordUsage] shoot best off staying above CR or below Ford.

There's a lot of small bass and small channel cats, but there are some nice fish in there too. Just not as good as above the CR Dam.

As stated above it is rocky, but most rivers are. I've fished it in my jon boat plenty of times. Just go slow until you know where the hazzards are.

The river is dredged for barges all the way up to the Camden bridge (well the Rail Road bridge)in the 694 section, after the Camden bridge it's still pretty deep, but there's a shallow boulder field next to the islands going upstream.

What launch are you going to? 694 or Camden (aka North Sippi Regional Park) I know the section around those 2 ramps pretty well and could give you better info.

I do agree with wormdunker that it's the worst section - it didn't use to be though.

• 2 months later...

i moved pretty much right across from the 694 landing.....could you provide any more detail on areas to watch for or for fishing as i know its fairly shallow and rocky in this area. i plan to mainly fish from 694 up towards the dam. thanks!

Every where, that stretch is pretty rocky and shallow, you will be fine if you can read the river in high water times but I would take it very easy during low water, or travel down to put in in the navigable area

do you know of any channels along this stretch that makes it easier to move around with a boat? i thought it was worse for aways south of 694 until you get closer to the locks?

It is Navigable all the way past the MPLS port authority. I don't know between there and the 694 launch, I know there is a couple riffle areas just south of the landing. There is also a landing in Brooklyn Park that I saw from the water on my one trip up there, that would probably be your best bet. But in the summer I don't think any of it is really usable for a prop boat. If you go up to the CR dam landing you have all the way to the 169 bridge that is safe for props, and the fishing is probably more predictable, not my favorite stretch but theres fish there.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how I missed this thread. This is my home stretch of river so I kind of like hearing the "worst section of river comment" grin less people for me to see on the water. I guess since I fish it ALOT that I have it figured out pretty well but I have always had pretty good fishing there. Several of my personal bests are within 3 blocks of home which is kind of nice.

That stretch is pretty gnarly on your props though. I have been able to get by the past few years without any major hits but I have watched people really ruin their boats here too. I watched a guy jump his fiberglass runabout on a rockpile a few years back and really mangle it. Karma caught up with him as he had just blasted me with a wave while I was anchored jigging up 'eyes.

The ramp at 694 can be a real bear if the water is low. I usually launch next to it as there is a wicked washout hole from people powering their boats onto their trailer. It is do-able with a smaller boat for sure. The Camden launch is decent and they got a nice dock there too. I haven't fished south of there much but I hear it can be good.

I do a lot of wading and fishing from shore. In low water you can walk right across the river in a couple spots with ease (of course you got to be careful and use common sense PFD's are a good idea while doing that). Otherwise I do take the boat out and run really slow until I have found a safe place to run all out. There is a couple spots that I have found no passage in low water but if you dont mind getting your feet wet you can get around it. It is one of my favorite places to go because its close to home and there is a bit of solitude on the water.

Out from the 694 launch it's 10feet deep (depending on the current water level) but there are rock piles just off center going downstream from 694 to the shallow rapids. There's a couple other sets of rock piles going upstream. One is just past the 694 bridge pretty much in the middle.

Normally I launch from Camden and head upstream. Stay in the middle then take the channel on the right at the 2nd island. Once you get past the island slow way down and putz through the bit of rapids working your way towards the white house on the hill (is that still there?) pretty much meandering toward the middle of the river. The rapids will stop and put her on plane after you're forsure away from the rapids. Stay in the middle left of the river going upstream. You should see the ripples from the rock piles just off to the right. There's a series of them - maybe an old bridge or something - dunno, but they are gnarly. I like fishing those rock pile in the summer. Bass, channels, sheepies and a few walters. Nothing huge, but fun ifn' you just want to get out.

1/8oz Jig and 3" curly tail gulp grub in yellow. You can thank me later.

Ya I really love those mid river rock piles in the summer. They are blast to fish. There is a lot of smaller fish in there but I have had many days with multiple +20" smallies. They really tear some drag out in the river too.

Not many people are willing to take a boat out in that stretch (I don' blame them either) so it doesn't get fished all that much except from shore. It would be a good stretch to float tube/canoe/kayak fish.

On google earth I was able to dig up some historical areal photos of that stretch and there used to be a line of islands that went through that area south of 694. They have eroded and all that is left now is the rocks. Even since I have lived here ('97) I have seen two islands pretty much disappear. The big island north of the 694 bridge has even lost quite a bit off of the tail end. I bet the south shore has retreated about 30 yards.

I haven't really tried yellow but I will give that a shot. All the crayfish I have found there were green in color so I always use something with a bright green/chartreuse in it. Firetiger raps always seem to produce. Plain silver works decent too as there is a bunch of mooneyes in there.

You gotta love sitting out there and just tossing out a worm on a hook to see what bites. I have had days where I bet I have caught 10 species of fish. Just about everything is in there. My personal best Metro area crappie even came out of there. I am still not sure if there are Flatheads in that stretch but the channels will sure keep you busy if you try for them.

i've caught 10 species in a day in Pool 2... its pretty fun!

I might have to check out this section more, I live near the river by the Witches Tower - kinda want to check out areas with my canoe this summer

Ya it is a blast to hook something in and have no idea for sure whats on the end of the line.

That whole stretch of the river from the Dam down would be decent to canoe in since its shallow and moves pretty quick. You could cover a lot of water in a day if you wanted to. If I were to canoe that stretch I would do it in August when its hot, the water is low and the fish are biting really good.

well i live right on the river of that stretch of water....and have a 14ft aluminum with a 25hp......so if any of you guys want to hook up sometime and show me around, let me know!

I will be out there here soon on foot. Once it warms up a bit more the crappies will start going and the cats won't be too far behind. I probably wont go out in the boat until after the opener. Too much wood and junk floating down when the water is high for my liking. I have done it before but there is something unnerving about seeing a full sized cottonwood tree floating by.

Kinda nice to be able to walk 3 blocks and go fishing I got to admit. For whatever reason I really didn't fish the river that much last year. I got hung up on going to the lakes but I will be out there more for sure this year.

BCG, a 25 horse on a 14' lund is what I run down there most of the time. Otherwise if the water is really low I may take out the johnboat with a 15 on it. I will probably see you around if you are ever out there.

i haent been back to this thread in a while but im glad to see that you guys are still talking...i noticed that deadeye said that once it warms up abit the crappies and cats will be in there...i was thinking of going out tomorrow...i have the itch and i havent caught spit all winter...i was just wondering if you had any tips i was thinking of hitting up the 694 bridge area, i beliee there is a fishing pier right in there. anything would help

If your going there go up to Menomin park and fish where the rice creek goes in. Its maybe a mile or two up east river road on the left side. There is a lot of ground to cover there. There is plenty of shore spots there.

Otherwise you could park on the fridley side at the boat landing and walk over the bridge and fish around where the pier is. BC hasn't got the road to that park open yet so that would be the easiest way to get over there. There is a touch of backwater right by the pier that may have a few fish in it.

I do think that it may be a touch early for them to be biting well but you never know. For whatever reason I have a hard time getting the cats to bite until the water is a bit warmer but I don't fish hard for them early either. The crappies might be in there all winter for all I know as I don't go until I have no options on ice anymore.

thanks man...yeah im not much of an ice-fisherman...i like doing it but im much better at open water so i figure why not give it a try. I'll let you know how i do and ounce again thanks for the tips

Your welcome. I am curious to see how you do. Its really close to home for me so its handy to head up there if there is something going on. I will probably head up there in a couple weeks depending on the weather. It seems like its going to be a early spring so I think open water fishing this year will hit the ground running so to speak.

i hear ya...i live on the boarder of french park right next to medicine lake, and while i have had no luck this winter (no matter where i fish)on the ice i figure i might as well try some open water...i just strarted fishing the mississippi last summer, but i was going further down river, pretty much in the heart of downtown right where bassett creek enters the mississippi (my mom lives about 2 blocks away so it was convenient for her to watch my son) and i had some really good luck all summer catching smallies w/ the biggest being about 2.5lbs, carp but thats expected and one pike that was about 30 inches long, but im looking for something with alittle bit larger fish and that isnt as fished as hard...im guessing right where the creek enters is going to be the best spot so thats where i will start and goo from there.

here's is a pic of the cat i caught today at menomin park...hit right under a fallen tree that was half in the water right where the creek met the river...nothing else hit after that until i went up to the little dam where the lock lake flows into the mississippi, had another cat on but it got off right as i was getting it to the fence line....by the way deadeye next time you are thinking of going out there let me know, id like to tag along and steel some of your tricks if you dont mind.

catfish.jpg

Nice! Ya I will probably head up there this weekend sometime to check it out. With all the rain I'm not really feeling like ice fishing as the ice is starting to get sketchy.

My email is deadeye1jm at gmail dot com if you want to shoot me a email I will let you know when I am going to head up there.

Hey guys just a little info for ya if you can find a way down to the river behind the houses around 71st-72nd and riverview terrace there is a nice little hole that i used to catch a ton of crappies in. But im a little old to be trespassing just for crappies these days. Also if you go by 694 just north of the launch i've had pretty good luck throwing raps for eyes. You'll get some pike in there too.

lol I am not really game for getting yelled at either. I think I know where your talking though. It might be worth a trip in the boat sometime though.

eckum54, I will probably try to get out tommorow and I am for sure gonna go sunday. If you see a dark green talon in the parking lot I will be around there somewhere. If its raining I won't go but otherwise i am gonna give it a shot.

i went down there today just to see how the water level has changed since the last time i was down there. I would say its probably come up 2-3 feet in the last couple days. This is when you can get some nice fish farther up rice creek especially in the first bend right after you go across the bridge heading towards the river. it gets pretty deep in the little corner when the water comes up. Maybe ill see you guys down there.

Thanks for that report. High water always seems pretty decent in places like that.

I am really getting my self worked up for this weekend. Just got back from Gander and picked up some little baby gulp alive twisters for crappies. Just sitting down to sort through the gear and see what I am taking with. I realized my fishing backpack came apart last fall so I am going to head up to Cabelas tommorow and get the one thats on sale.

Chances are now that I won't make it out there Saturday but Sunday is a sure deal.

I live in that area and have fished the river for almost 40 years. I agree that this is NOT the place you want to put a boat in. At least NOT the area north of 694 to the Coon Rapids Dam. It can be done however but it is EXTREMELY risky.

If you must fish from a boat, Launch at the boat landing in Fridley and proceed northward until you come to the first island. Head north on the LEFT side of the Island. (The Western Side). The Eastern Side has a rock bar that extends for almost 50 yards. The water here is about 2 feet deep most of the year.

Keep to the Western shore until you are well past the first island. After that you should be OK. All you have to worry about is the rock garden that extends for the next 3 miles upstream, the odd deadhead sticking up under the water and the logs that are partially waterlogged but still floating about a foot under the water.

I AM NOT KIDDING!

You can put a boat in here but take my word for it this area of the river is not called the river of heartbreak for nothing. I have lost track of the times I have seen some [PoorWordUsage] come floating down river with no prop or lower unit, I have seen jet skiers darn near killed when they ran into a boulder under the water or a tree that wa just below the surface.

A better bet would be to take a canoe or fish from shore like everyone says.

That being said, there are fish in this section. But you will play heck trying to get them.

The Section South 694 is dredged for barge traffic and is not recommended for the average fishing boat. The water can be think with oily and other pollutants.

If you do decide to launch a boat above 694 I would advise a small 12 foot to 14 foot aluminum boat with a no less than 10 horse motor and a lot of prayer and the eyesight of an eagle to watch for rocks, trees and bars.

Like I said, it can be done but only for the very brave (read that foolish!!!)

Good Luck!!!

Uncle Kes

I live in that area and have fished the river for almost 40 years. I agree that this is NOT the place you want to put a boat in. At least NOT the area north of 694 to the Coon Rapids Dam. It can be done however but it is EXTREMELY risky.

If you must fish from a boat, Launch at the boat landing in Fridley and proceed northward until you come to the first island. Head north on the LEFT side of the Island. (The Western Side). The Eastern Side has a rock bar that extends for almost 50 yards. The water here is about 2 feet deep most of the year.

Keep to the Western shore until you are well past the first island. After that you should be OK. All you have to worry about is the rock garden that extends for the next 3 miles upstream, the odd deadhead sticking up under the water and the logs that are partially waterlogged but still floating about a foot under the water.

I stopped by the rice creek confluence today to check water levels. It's not too high yet. Once things thaw out more it will probably come up a bit more. Hopefully we don't get a bunch of rain in late March and in April.

I fished south of 694 way back in the 1950's and early 60's with my Grandfather. We mostly fished down around the Minneapolis Water Treatment Plant. In those days you could pick up Bronzeback,, Northerns, and the odd Musky. I have not seen a Musky in that stretch for many years now, though?

As for panfish, I have caught them during the spawn in Rice Creek but afterward they seem to all swim into the Twilight Zone, or something? All except perch! Lots of perch in that section (South of 694 from the 694 bridge to the Camden Bridge. At least there were back when I fished it with my Grandpa.

These days, I mostly fish from shore or launch my boat north of the Coon Rapids Dam. I never did figure out why they have not put a boat launch south of the dam. I know they have one North of the Dam and there is a boat launch on the Rum River in Anoka about a block from where it runs into the Mississippi.

I like to fish around the footings of the Champlin Bridge. I fo9und perhaps the deepest hole in the section of river south of the Coon Rapids dam. It is located about halfway out from Coon Creek about 150 yards from the freeway bridge. The hole is about 20 feet deep and runs north and south for almost 50 yards.

I found it deliberately one year when I launched my 14 foot Lund and crawled/quartered the river from 694 to the Coon Rapids Dam one June day. The river was high. It had rained for a week and I thought I might be able to get up there. Which I did. I would not advise do9ing it without someone who knew that stretch very well.

Having said that, IF you can get up to the Coon Rapids Dam, cut yopur engine and drift back down to 694. It will take you about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and you should pick up fish along the islands and holes you drift over and by.

Once again, you can get fish in this stretch but unless you are willing to take a chance on a wrecked boat and motor and possibly get hurt when a log spears your hull, a rock shears your prop off or a dead head takes your lower unit my advise is to walk along the bank and fish from shore, go in by canoe, or fish somewhere less dangerous.

Tight Lines!

Uncle Kes