• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Outdoor Minnesota Deer Photo's

picksbigwagon

umichjessy, you must a have a nice spot there in SE MN. If my memory doesn't fail me, I'm fairly certain you've posted a kill pic in that very spot in years past.

Good memory. I have been lucky enough to take 3 decent bucks in the last six years from the family farm. 2 of them were taken in the same spot.

2007 - 10 point mainframe with a sticker off the browtine

full-20340-27782-buck.jpg

2009 - 10 point with both G2s split

full-20340-27783-2009front.jpg

2012 - 10 point with both G2s split

full-20340-27784-fullbody.jpg

full-20340-27785-closeup2.jpg

I actually think the buck I shot in 2012 is either the dad or brother of the buck I shot in 2009. The 2009 buck was probably only 3 years old. The buck I shot this year was around is at least 6 years old. They have remarkable similar antlers including the split G2s. This years buck just had more mass but less tine length. I think he was on the decline.

Absolute bulls! I am currently experiencing deep and seething jealousy. Please forgive me. The landscape in those pics has soothed my spirit. I'm better now. smile

Congrats dude! Really great bucks!

Haha. That buck isnt on the decline, hate to break it to ya. Probably a 4.5, MAYBE 5.5 year old deer. He had a couple good years left to grow. Unless you're somewhere wih no decent food sources. Not trying to detract from your deer, its a great buck.

Haha. That buck isnt on the decline, hate to break it to ya. Probably a 4.5, MAYBE 5.5 year old deer. He had a couple good years left to grow. Unless you're somewhere wih no decent food sources. Not trying to detract from your deer, its a great buck.
Wow, you can tell that from just two pictures? Impressive. The shooter must have clouded judgement from seeing/touching/handling it in person.

I know that deer can look remarkably similar, so I am not positive, but I almost sure that I have been seeing this deer for the last 4 years and I would have been proud to shoot him 3 years ago. He was just a small bodied deer. I drug him out of the woods with one hand without breaking a sweat. You very well could be right though. Maybe this is a different deer. I am not challenging your opinion, I am just curious. What do you see that makes you think he is still growing? I have never been great a judging deer past 3 years old. Truth is, I probably haven't seen many beside those that live here in the cities.

Its pretty amazing how much deer can change from year to year. Also, some areas have characteristics that will make all the bucks look very similar (which is what you have going on there by the looks of it) I personally look at the bases on this deer and see, more than likely, a 4.5 year old deer. You are in a good area by the looks of it. My thought is he would have peaked close to 200". I picked up sheds from a deer several years ago (well one side) and it was literally bigger than a beer can and just a club. About 10" with several stickers off it. Usually when a deer is on the decline you see A)tons more mass, b)JUNK. Seems to be the trend anyway.

A good friend of mine from Grand Rapids, who's personally taken numerous old, trophy deer, sees similar characteristics as the animals age.

Often, he sees main beams widening further out, with less and less curl back in. Tines that are progressively shortening, and appear shorter, and I guess stunted? More solid mass at the bases, and more sticker junk at the bases as well. Overall, the racks just look older, and less healthy...for lack of a better way to say it?

I think too that older deer just simply "look" older. Much more gray, or even black. Not much for rich brown hair left. Kinda gnarly and grizzled like an old bachelor farmer. I think they used to say, "Long in the tooth"? Although I don't think that phrase had anything to do with describing teeth. smile

The second deer pic above, the one with the Golden Retriever looking on, that deer kinda looks to be a little "long in the tooth". They sure all look like great trophy deer though. Now I'm feeling the envy well back up again.

I don't think umichjesse really cares how old they are anyway but had to critcize him by "mis-aging" the nice deer he shot. He is not the Lakosky's where they pass up 5 1/2-6 1/2 year old bucks. A nice rack like that will make me shoot it anyway.

Nice bucks, pretty landscape as well...love these hills and woods and looks like there is good food sources!

• 4 weeks later...

Shot this one back on 11-23. Scored 140", not the biggest out there but he was an old buck that had few teeth left.

2012buck986.jpg

2012buck970.jpg

2012buck1006.jpg

Gloomis. Are pic one, and pic two of the same deer?

And what's going on with that right brow tine? Kinda cool!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Yes all pics are of the same buck. He must have damaged his brow in velvet, surprised he didn't break it clean off!

• 1 month later...

Here's my 10 point bow kill from the last day of November for anyone else out there still thinking about hunting in April. full-13263-31681-photo(4).jpg

full-13263-31682-photo(3).jpg

full-13263-31683-photo.jpg

Wow! That is a great looking buck Ditchpickle! Congratulations! Great photos!

full-14944-31685-deer2012.jpg

This is the Buck I harvested last fall. The Taxidermist called last night and he is ready for pick-up.

• 3 months later...