• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Brewster needs to be fired!

RumRiverRat

You can't fault a kid like Nolan Brewster who chooses a national powerhouse program like Texas over a lesser-known, less-proven program. He's a heck of a player and is starting as a true freshman for Texas. Plus I think it would be tough to play for your dad as a coach, especially at the college level or higher. Clint Brewster wasn't as talented of a player. Clint and his dad both knew that he would never see the field with Weber's improvement and the addition of MarQueis a year later. Clint isn't even starting for Tennessee Tech.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBMasterAngler

• LMITOUT

• so haaad

• zepman

It was no loss losing Clint. He didn't have enough talent and wasn't athletic enough to be switched to another position.

Dump this coach and do it now.

I guess if you love the mediocrity, beating bottom dwelling teams like Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, and Illinois year after year, then by all means lock him up for a life contract because that's all you're going to get out of this guy.

Well, cross Illinois off that list.....he can't even beat them.

Gophs program suffers 3rd arrest in last 30 days: Coach Brew handcuffed, booked for impersonating Div. I football coach.

-Dan Barrierro

hehe.gif

Iowa lost to Northwestern today. The Hawkeyes must be BELOW mediocrity according to LMITOUT's great football mind!

Gophers have more national titles that Bucky does, do-dah, do-dah... We might as well change the name from Dinkytown to "Titletown"!!! wink

The Gophers defensive front four has not done a thing all year. They cannot rush the passer to save their lives. And Jeff Wills is too slow for the Division 1 game! He was burned so many times today, that Weber started looking like Aaron Rogers on his back against the Vikings. It's time for Wills to be benched.

Instead of pointing fingers at Iowa how about fixing the problems at home? Pointing fingers seem to be the M.O. for Minnesotans rather than realizing their own faults and correcting them. How about this....Fire Brewster and fire Maturi. That'd be a good start instead of deflecting the horrible play of the home squad at another team leading the Big 10, don't you think?

What an embarrassment for the Gophers, at home at that. It's obvious Brewster has got to go and this talk of extending his contract is laughable at best. Those pandering for this fool have to realize they're rearranging chairs on a sinking ship.

What's even more laughable is that the first thing mentioned is the Iowa loss. Apparently the only hope the Gophers have is that the other teams lose their games because they can't win their own.

What a joke.

Go Jackrabbits!!!!!!!

Gophers lost to the last place team with their backup quarterback! I'm not gonna blame any 1 particular player because the entire team was equally terrible! The team did not look ready to play at all...and that is the coaches' fault! This is brewster's 3rd season and there has been no signs of improvement...infact, the team is getting worse! Unfortunately he won't be fired, they'll just let his contract expire, so we get to have 2 more seasons of this [PoorWordUsage]!!! sick

He'll be fired or extended...and they'll do it at the end of this year. Other schools and recruiters would kill us if he's still here and not extended.

Bad loss today...can't comment on the game because I didn't see it but definately a step backwards.

I'm still in favor of extending him...I think he's got a long way to go as a coach but all the reports say he IS bringing in top notch players...not an easy thing to do here in Minnesota. Let it play out...he seems to be winning half the battle...let's hope the other half follows.

not at Navy or Army. you mess up,, and your gone from the team and the school.

Even more reasons to like Navy beating ND.

Gophs program suffers 3rd arrest in last 30 days: Coach Brew handcuffed, booked for impersonating Div. I football coach.

-Dan Barrierro

hehe.gif

hehe.gif

Instead of pointing fingers at Iowa how about fixing the problems at home?

What's even more laughable is that the first thing mentioned is the Iowa loss.

What's funny is that I wasn't actually pointing fingers at Iowa. My point is that every team loses games that they should win, even Iowa, even Penn State, even Notre Dame like yesterday. One loss doesn't make a team mediocre or below.

I asked our positive "pro staffer" to reply to the following questions before, but he didn't have an answer. Just more negativity. I'd be interested in other people's responses

1) If you were the head coach of the Gopher football team, how or what would you do to improve the team?

2) If Brewster is not the answer, then who would you have picked for a coach instead of him? Also, if he was to be canned after this year, who would you suggest as his replacement?

3) What would you do differently to bring in high caliber recruits?

I give brewster little to no credit on the recruiting...most of the credit goes to the new stadium. Mason couldn't get the best guys because none of them wanted to play in an off campus dome (can you blame them?), so he did the best he could with what he got.

These supposed 3 and 4 star recruits aren't showing much so far anyway, which doesn't matter anyway because a team can only be so good with a poor coach.

Weber looked terrible yesterday! Can anyone tell me why he wears a glove on his throwing hand? He was over throwing wide open receivers by a mile...it's ok if you do that once every so often, but when you do it 7 or 8 times in a game! COME ON! He's a good backup QB at best.

Also, I've been to 3 games so far this year (including yesterday), and I am getting sick of seeing the student section empty! They need to open that up to the general public. The U is missing out on lot's of money by letting those seats go to waste.

I think Brewster needs to step up as head coach and bench a few players after their performances this weekend. It starts with the offensive line. 50 yards rushing. 50! That's unacceptable, even with our running backs. Weber was also sacked seven times and most of those were because of the o-line getting beat. O-line coach Davis has said he prefers BIG lineman and touts his motto "Mass moves a__(backsides)". Well this o-line may be big but they are not moving anyone. We need o-lineman that are athletic, not just big. Brewster and Fisch also need to recognize when Weber is struggling and put the ball into Gray's hands more often. Gray's two or three fumbles aren't helping his chances, but Weber isn't getting it done. They coaches have only let Gray throw like two or three times this year. Only once in this weekend's game, and it was a completion. Defensively, Cosgrove needs to start rotating or trying out a couple more DE's or d-linemen. Only one sack this weekend, and that was because of a blitz.

I am 100% against any team scheduling against a D1-AA team. It's the norm now that strength of schedule doesn't matter in the BCS anymore. But yeah, it is pretty pathetic that we have to rely on a win against SDSU and losses to other teams to make a bowl run.

Almost three years and your 6-17 in your conference. Big deal, so they went to a bowl game last year. No team should ever get to a bowl game going 3-5 in your conference. Pathetic! It doesn't do any good to bring in top players if there is no one to coach them.

Almost three years and your 6-17 in your conference. Big deal, so they went to a bowl game last year. No team should ever get to a bowl game going 3-5 in your conference. Pathetic! It doesn't do any good to bring in top players if there is no one to coach them.

You can't seriously think he is bringing in top prospects do you? He is only bringing in the top prospects that are not wanted at Michigan, Ohio st.,Texas, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, USC, and the list goes on and on............................

Unfortunately Brewster doesn't have the name clout that a Tubby Smith does. So even though he can talk the talk and rah-rah this and rah-rah that, most of the top national prospects will still be hard to convince to come to Minnesota. It seems that Brewster is going after: lesser-known recruits that show "potential", kids looked over by the top schools like BigDave said, or kids that are athletic but projects. I really think the U needs to get someone like a Tony Dungy or another respectable, likable big name involved in recruiting, coach or personal development of players.

Big Dave, is this going to be the year for your Tide? Or are you waiting until AFTER the conference championship game to make your prediction. grin

Coaches in the upper tier will not come to Minnesota unless they need a three year paycheck...then they're gone to somewhere else. See Lou Holtz.

Gophers ARE recruiting very solid players but they're still young. No, they are not going to compete with USC, Notre Dame, Florida etc...as far as recruiting classes...but few programs can claim this status. They are, however, competing very well with the second tier (3 and 4 star) guys as compared with other schools. It takes time and recruiting is the only way to get Minnesota out of the hole they've been in for 50 + years now. I'll take a sub-par coach who can recruit over a coaching whiz who'll be gone in 2-3 years anyday.

The head coach is more of an administrator than a coach...those responsibilities are left up to the coordinators and position coaches. Picking the right people for these positions is the head coaches decision and this is where Brewster is failing. He needs to surround himself with better coordinators/coaches to off-set his lack of experience.

Wisconsin holds the blue-print on how to REALLY turn a program around. Stability in the coaching staff and a long run at recruiting the right players...year after year after year etc...Alvarez struggled at first too, but he stuck with his plan and it put the Badgers at the top of the Big 10 year after year. He BUILT a whole new program...something the Gophers are trying to do now.

Big Dave, is this going to be the year for your Tide? Or are you waiting until AFTER the conference championship game to make your prediction. grin

I hope this is the year!

IMO unless one of the top 3 teams has a meltdown, the BCS champ game will be between the winner of the SEC champ game and Texas. I think that my Tide has a better chance than last year of beating Florida. Florida just looks a tiny bit more beatable than they did last year.

I'm picking the Tide to win the SEC and beat Texas in the BCS championship game to give Alabama theier 13th National Championship!

Should be interesting to see how the team responds tomorrow after last weekend's meltdown. It will also be interesting to see if Brewster and the other coaches make any changes.

Obviously I want the gophers to win, but deep down inside there will be a part of me that will be cheering the jack rabbits on crazy Losing 2 out of 3 games to a 1AA team may be the fastest way to get brewster out of here!

What a joke! There is nothing about this game that the gophers should be proud of. They couldn't score an offensive touchdown against south dakota state?!?!?! The jack rabbits were 2 missed field goals away from winning this game. It's really sad that the gophers are actually gonna go to a bowl game now. It's normally good for a team to get that extra month of practice, but this is an exception, because now they get that extra time to be coached by brewster frown Lot's of empty seats, and lot's of booing of our offense.

Someone in the stands had a sign that said "got dungy?" We could only be so lucky.