• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Brewster needs to be fired!

RumRiverRat

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBMasterAngler

• LMITOUT

• so haaad

• CJH

Weber needs to be benched. Not that I ever thought he was that good, but he's getting worse and worse every week. Start Marquis Gray next week and see if he's got the goods.

Looks like we'll finish 6-6 which is actually the record I predicted we'd finish with. However, losing in the motor city bowl to central michigan is gonna be a bad way to end the season.

Every year it’s the same thing.

Change this, change that.

The only way you are going to change a college program is to start winning games. You can’t start winning games by dumping the coach at the end of each poor season. This isn’t the NFL where you can buy a good team. Unless of course you have some good connections laugh.

As poor as the team is, I think MN needs to stick with one guy for a decade and see what happens. All it takes is one great season to get a bunch of good recruits and then things start rolling.

I’m not saying that Brewster is the guy to stick with, but seriously we can’t be hiring new coaches every other year.

I am with dtro on this one. The guy is a proven recruiter and we just got the biggest recruiting aid any program can have: a kick arse new stadium ON CAMPUS!

Give him sometime moving forward to see what he can do.

That being said, Brewster needs to stick with some coordinators for a few seasons and establish what your system is going to be. Changing the system frequently at that level just confuses everybody - see Weber for proof.

Grampa Sports said it best yesterday. The whole program is broke, The U has not had a winning (big Ten) season for over 40 years. The program is goofy, what exactly is wrong who knows but changing coach's every other year is not the answer. They are a young team.

I agree about the coordinators. It seems that the defense has gotten better, and I think that has to do with Brewster's recruiting but also some of those guys playing 2,3,4 years now. Remember that 1-11 season? Lots of freshman playing then that are now juniors. The big problem is offense. They can't convert a third down and that defense is worn down.

Honestly, the offense has gotten worse each season under Brewster and I'm not sure why. Maybe it is the constant change in scheme and coordinators. Decker was great. Weber is a good college QB and should be peaking now, but he's bottoming out. Part of it also has to do with a complete lack of ability to run the football. Our backs are all mediocre at best. Although there is no excuse for a Big Ten team to not have enough big O-linemen to go pound the ball down another team's throat.

Brewster needs to take responsibility for the lack of production no matter how you pick this tomato.

I agree, you can't keep switching coordinators, coaches and schemes. I think they are now in the pro offense style of offense and they should stick with it. Unfortunately, I don't think Marquess Gray fits that offense the best - he would have been a lot better suited in the spread offense like Weber was suited.

Need to give Brewster another couple years to see what he has coming up with the guys he recruited.

Dump this coach and do it now.

Everyone wants to string this out, but in a few years the program won't be any better than it is now with this coach and his slick willy dog and pony show. The players aren't buying it anymore either. When you've lost the players you're just rearranging chairs on a sinking ship and that's what he's doing. The sales job can only last so long before you need to start showing results, but he has not shown anything to this point that indicates the program is going in the right direction.

I guess if you love the mediocrity, beating bottom dwelling teams like Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, and Illinios year after year, then by all means lock him up for a life contract because that's all you're going to get out of this guy. For some reason people here like mediocrity, so it doesn't surprise me to hear support for "Brew". Sad is what it is.

Give him one more year, and if no improvment,, AX time.

A guy by the name of Kirk Ferenzt got the IA job in 1998 with much less talent. He still has not much talent, and is 4th in BCS standings?? BEaten the likes of LSU and FL in bowl games and played Texas tough. THAT's a COACH!!!! ,, and I'll roll the dice to find another guy like that.

For those interested in coming to Kinnick in NOV for the Goph/IA game,,, be prepared, the Goph (and I'am fan) may not score. The IA D is the real deal.

There's no reason to suggest we'll finish any better than 4-8 next year. Not to mention the gophers will be destroyed by USC at home by at least 5 TD's. After that, brewster should be fired. His rah rah has fooled me twice, I can't let it happen again.

There is a coach with great bloodlines over in Eden Prairie that would probably take that job

Brewster needs to go, last time i checked, great speakers don't always make great coaches, just great car salesman

Any chance of packaging Brewster and Lucia together?

"I thought we played them extremely well, obviously, in the first half," Brewster said.

"We're right in the middle of that football game with opportunities to really do some things and make it a great game."

"Obviously, there's emotion on the sideline," Brewster said. "I don't know about 'getting into it with an assistant.' That sounds great, you know, but I mean, heck, it's coaching. It's the game of football, and emotions are a big part of it. We all want to win real badly."

"I know how our team is going to respond," he said. "Our team has proven how it will respond. They're going to play hard. They're going to play well. That's who we are. That's one thing our team has defined itself as being — a team that's going to play to the best of its ability for 60 minutes."

"I'm very pleased with our football team and where we're at right now, the direction we're going."

Brewster then asked if anybody wanted undercoating and a free set of mud flaps.

Pleased with the direction they're going after getting whipped 58-7 the past two weeks? Really?

He's nothing more than a walking, talking cliche. Not a coach.

"I'm very pleased with our football team and where we're at right now, the direction we're going."

Definitely a Wacker-like gee-whiz comment. A couple of Brewster's comments after the game were Wacker-like, but many were also the standard "moving forward, not backward" comments to provide the media. Obviously he doesn't want to say the team is terrible or didn't deserve to be on the same field with Ohio State.

Brewster will be around next year, but he'll need to put up or shut up. He needs to take a big step forward or he'll be shown the door. Next year the Gophers play home games against Penn State and Ohio State. The fans and Maturi should demand at least one victory from these two. The rest of their schedule looks favorable. The other two tough games are against USC and Iowa, and both are at home. The coach will have no excuses if the team doesn't win at least 8-9 games.

“What we hope is we can possibly get Eric back for a bowl game,"

Bowl game???

The sad thing is now that Decker is hurt Brewster has his golden parachute for the rest of the season and when, not if but when, they struggle in their next four games he has that fall back excuse to continue this coaching charade. What is even sadder is that people will buy that excuse.

With Decker gone we might not even beat illinois, and if that's the case there is no bowl game! This injury could be a blessing in disguise though, he'll be available for the vikings to draft in the 2nd round...he's touted as the #4 pro prospect among receivers. smile

Maturi got Tubby and the stadium, so I am willing to keep him.

Well the U of M needs Tubby Smith quality of coaches at their peak not towards the end of their careers.

As far as the stadium goes, I think they saw the writing on the wall with the dome and the Vikings. The time was right to move back to the campus before they had no place to go.

Worst thing about Brewster so far is he has not won a game that would be looked at as a upset. Everytime we have played a top team we get creamed. At least Mason beat a few ranked teams.

The guy is full of hot air, I remember his rally when he first got here and him saying in 4 years you will see a Rose Bowl. I said to my buddy that Brew is an [PoorWordUsage], anyone with a TV can see a Rose Bowl every year! laugh

Love how he and his supporters still hope for a bowl game, c'mon, how many more motor city or music city bowls do we want?

Where do I get my South Dakota State sweatshirt? He loses to him may as well shut down the whole operation

Well we don't have to worry about the music city bowl, being that the big ten doesn't play in that bowl anymore. My buddy was on the gophers squad the year they beat alabama in the music city bowl (mason's greatest victory in my opinion), holy cow is the ring he received from that game nice!!! I can only imagine how awesome a rose bowl ring must be.

4 years and a rose bowl...hmmm, well this is year 3 and we might not even go to a bowl game...motor city bowl shouldn't even count, especially since we'll lose that game anyway. Next year there is a 0% chance of us going to bowl game. Last year was a fluke, somehow we managed to win 7 games! Trust me, that will go down as brewster's best season.

6 penatlies in less than a half so far. Man they are playing very sloppy. A 14-0 lead in the 1st quarter and they will more than likely lose.