• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Brewster needs to be fired!

RumRiverRat

Sorry Juneau, but i have to agree with TR21HP on this one. There is always going to be movement among position coaches at programs like MN. There is approximately 20%-50% turnover on position coaches every year depending on numerous factors. Mainly those factors all include the desire to become head football coaches themselves. See Jim Zorn (Wash. Redskins) Kevin Sumlin (U of Houston) Mark Snyder (U of Marshall) Joker Phillips (next Kentucky head coach)...these guys were all position coaches during my tenure at the U. In major college football today, it is just not practical to think that we can have a coaching staff stay intact. It falls soley on Brew, he either has what it takes to deal with the musical chairs that is assistant coaches in college football or he doesn't. So far I haven't been impressed by much of anything he does except recruiting which really doesn't matter anyway if u cant develop that talent.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBMasterAngler

• LMITOUT

• so haaad

• CJH

Consistency doesn't equate to quality unless you want a consistently bad program. What has Brewster shown you in the past few years to demonstrate he has the ability to win in the Big Ten? The coach from TCU who initially turned down the job and then called back to accept only to be turned down by the U has turned that program around in 2 years and was named coach of the year this year so it can be done in 2 years with a qualified coach who knows what he is doing. Brewster was the person responsible for either firing or causing his staff to leave in the first place. A quality coach chooses his staff and retains them and along with a strong recruiting class and an idea of how to coach, which Brewster hasn't demonstrated results in a winning program.Brewster has consistently shown he doesn't belong coaching a major program.

Totally agree with you that there will be coaches leaving. It's the offense and defensive co-ordinators that have to remain longer than 1 year. If that is the head coaches fault then they probably need a new head coach.

Consistency doesn't equate to quality unless you want a consistently bad program. What has Brewster shown you in the past few years to demonstrate he has the ability to win in the Big Ten? The coach from TCU who initially turned down the job and then called back to accept only to be turned down by the U has turned that program around in 2 years and was named coach of the year this year so it can be done in 2 years with a qualified coach who knows what he is doing. Brewster was the person responsible for either firing or causing his staff to leave in the first place. A quality coach chooses his staff and retains them and along with a strong recruiting class and an idea of how to coach, which Brewster hasn't demonstrated results in a winning program.Brewster has consistently shown he doesn't belong coaching a major program.

Stability leads to consistancy (Good or bad) Treatment of players also is a factor. To many things to take into other than wins.

All good points. We do need the head, offensive, and defensive co-ordinators to stick around. The main question is whether Brewster is the guy to lead this team? The game really isn't rocket science...two major components that this guy can't figure out are getting an adequate o-line that can block and a sound running game, which kind of go hand in hand. We should be able to have a decent program here. We will never have that college town atmosphere that some of the top big 10 schools are blessed with, but if Pat Fitzgerald can get 8 wins out of the Northwestern Cats, there is no reason we cant do the same or better and I just want to see some results from Brewster. If he can't do it, get a fresh staff in here and get it done!

IMO coaches develop coaches, who then develop players. Even with the coming and going of assistants and players every few years I beleive it starts with the head man. A leader who can consistantly build and create a winning culture that everyone involved beleives in and then gets it done, on and off the field. Right now thy are getting nothing done. IMO it seems as no one, including his [PoorWordUsage]. coaches or players are buying into his embarassing antics like "gopher nation". All the talking with no results is embarrasing! Go EARN a winning season, go EARN better recruits, go EARN loyal fans. Also IMO the biggest mistake he made was getting rid of Gordy, a man that had been there for 14 years, knew everybody in the state, recruited and then developed players- many who became all-conf, all-americans and some nfl players. It seems to me that he is too concerned in building his own ego than a winning football program. -my rant for the day!

Totally agree; there's at least some on this forum that can agree. Have a good New Year. Nice talking with you.

All valid points but you all talk as if the Gophers were just in the Rose Bowl in the past 5-10 years. Get real...please!! Mason was no better at taking the Gophers to the next level...in fact, he made a living at going to mid-tier bowl games himself. He did all this while playing a laughable, almost unexplainably soft pre-Big 10 schedule...year after year.

I've defended Brewster in the past, mostly based on his recruiting classes he's been able to bring in. If most of these kids have redshirted, that makes his first year recruits sophomores this year...juniors next year. IMO, he at least needs to cycle one or two year classes of seniors through this system to be able to be judged fairly. Give him credit for at least attempting to bring a better product to the TC, even if it is done by bringing in teams in the top 20 to play the Gophers early in the year...something Mason never did.

I'm not saying Brewster is the answer...but he might be. Three years just isn't long enough for anyone to know yet. The "answer" has been eluding the Maroon and Gold now for more than 50+ years. What makes everyone think the next guy is going to be able to do what other "good" choices have failed to do in the last half-century.

im not a gopher fan, im a husker fan! But being that i live in minnesota, i hope that brewster and the gophers can get there program back on track! The AD must think of brewster highly, since they want him around!

Gophers offensive lineman Ryan Wynn was arrested in the hours following the team’s Insight Bowl loss to Iowa State on New Year's Eve for alleged public consumption by a minor. He was held overnight in the Tempe, Ariz., city jail and appeared in court the next morning.

According to Tempe police spokesman Steve Carbajal, officers observed symptoms of alcohol impairment in Wynn and administered a portable breath test, which resulted in a reading of 0.172.

Wynn is 20. He was charged with consumption by a minor, a misdemeanor.

Meanwhile, Maturi, who said last week that he and Gophers head coach Tim Brewster were already talking about a contract extension, said the deal should get done before the early February signing day.

I guess I'm somewhat confused as to what u are trying to say about Mason's soft non-conference schedule? What exactly would be accomplished by playing top tier teams in non-conference games? I don't know about u, but I like to see the Gophers win the non-conference games, not say oh boy we get to play USC this week and then lose by 20, what do u accomplish by doing that? I played under Mason and when the Big 10 season rolls around, every week is a darn tough week. Anybody can beat anybody. It helps nothing going into conference games 1-2 or worse. Take a look at the Big 10 non-conference games last year and tell me a team that played a tough non-conference schedule. The only game I saw was USC/OSU and perhaps the MN/Cal game, but they were way overrated! The Gophers were not the only team that played a weak non-conf. I believe there is a reason for that, unless u know something I don't? I'm not saying Brewster is a bad coach, but I have seen absolutely nothing to say he is a good coach either! Where are all of these top tier recruits he's gotten? Maroney, Barber, Carter, Hamilton, Eslinger, Decker were stars by their third year.

On a side note...Mason went to 7 bowl games in his 10 year career. From 1963-1998 the Gophers went to 3 bowl games. I'd say that was a dramatic improvement!

As far as the Gordy Shaw firing, that was ridiculous! Shaw was an excellent coach/recruiter and even a better man! He would have all of his position players to his house every thursday for dinner and cared for all of his guys. He loved MN and the way Brewster treated him was disgusting to say the least!

You also had to take into consideration mason had to convince players to play for him in the DOME!!! frown Who the heck wants to come to minnesota and play there? If he was still around to coach in our new stadium I guarantee he'd be getting just as good (but probably better) players than what brewster is bringing in. 4 of mason's biggest wins came on the road...beating michigan, beating #2 penn state, beating #8 ohio state, beating alabama (music city bowl).

Mason was able to win our rivalry games also, multiple times even (exception was michigan), something brewster hasn't even come close to doing. And with all our best players being seniors this year (mason's guys I might add) the gophers will be worse, while the rest of the big ten is better.

Next year we have USC, Ohio State, Penn State, and Iowa at home...all losses! We're going to open the season at middle tennessee state, that's a loss! At the absolute best we'll finish 3-9, but I'm predicting 2-10 with no big ten wins frown And unfortunately because of the extension he won't be fired after that.

Where are all of these top tier recruits he's gotten? Maroney, Barber, Carter, Hamilton, Eslinger, Decker were stars by their third year.

On a side note...Mason went to 7 bowl games in his 10 year career. From 1963-1998 the Gophers went to 3 bowl games. I'd say that was a dramatic improvement!

As far as the Gordy Shaw firing, that was ridiculous! Shaw was an excellent coach/recruiter and even a better man! He would have all of his position players to his house every thursday for dinner and cared for all of his guys. He loved MN and the way Brewster treated him was disgusting to say the least!

First off.... I'll go with Maroney and Barber as top tier recruits, but the rest of those guys are carbon copies of multiple players on just about every big ten team.

Mason going to 7 bowl games..... and then comparing that to 1963-..... How many bowl games where there in the sixties, seventies and eighties??? I'm pretty sure everyone who went .500 got into a bowl game.

As far as Gordy Shaw.... he's a good guy, but it happens all the time. Coaches need the feeling that they are completely comfortable with their surrounding staff and for Brew, Shaw may have not fit the bill.

I wish they would show Brew the door, but I doubt it.... also from what I hear, the extension will contain ZERO guaranteed $$$, meaning we could show him the door without any payout...

Glen Mason was the poster child for mediocracy. He had an over-all record of 64-57(thanks in part to Louisianna LaFayette and Monroe) and a Big 10 record of 32-48!! He ONCE posted a 5-3 record in the Big 10 and the others were either sub five hundred or 50/50. This is in a 10 year career where you pretty much know what you've got in the guy and what to look forward to. The program was stagnant. Some of you may call this a dramatic improvement but I call it "settling" and "dealing with" underachievement.

I will agree...he recruited some great players but the end result says he's no better at doing something with them than anyone else.

One thing about Glen...nobody liked the guy...including the Minnesota High School coaches who frequently accused him of intentionally passing on some of the states best recruits. He wouldn't even recruit them. Boosters and the media disliked him for simply being such an arsehole. His overinflated ego was only rivaled by that of the dome itself. Hey Glen...your Big 10 record is/was 32-48...get over yourself already.

Brewster needs to show a few more years of steady improvement and if he can't he needs to be shown the door too. His arse is now on the line and he knows it...it'll be interesting to see what he does with his opportunity.

Minnesota Football: Tim Brewster Is Not the Only One Who Should Be Fired

by Dan Adams

Written on January 02, 2010.

After Clem Haskins brought the University of Minnesota to the sports forefront in 1997 when he took the Gophers to their first Final Four in school history, the men's basketball program was put on the map.

On the other side of things, the Minnesota Gophers football program hadn't been a significant part of college football for over 40 years. Former head coach Glen Mason had the program heading in the right direction, but could never get them to take it one step further.

Under Mason, the Gophers played in four different bowl games and a total of seven in his ten years as coach.

In 2007, a new era of Gophers football began. Tim Brewster was named head coach after an extensive search for the most suitable candidate.

He did a lot of talking in his first press conference and surprisingly promised "Gopher Nation" that the Rose Bowl and a Big Ten Conference Championship were not out of the question anymore.

Athletic Director Joel Maturi was hired in the summer of 2002 to rebuild the program after the academic scandal revealed under the Haskins administration.

He has fired two coaches since being hired, those two coaches were Dan Monson (Men's Basketball) and Glen Mason (Football). The Gophers got a gift when Tubby Smith left the University of Kentucky to come to Minnesota. It is fair to say that it was more of Smith's decision to coach in the Big Ten than Maturi's ability to recruit and pay an elite level coach.

They hired Tim Brewster to coach the football team in 2007. Maturi was highly applauded for the firing of Mason within the sports media because of the coach's inability to take that next step from a middle-of-the-road team to a conference contender.

Those two eras have gotten off to completely contrasting starts. Tubby Smith has the basketball team back playing at a very high level.

Their team in 2009-10 has the ability to contend for the Big Ten Conference Championship and will be tough in the future as well. They have built some nice recruiting classes and will cause chaos in the next decade.

The football team has gotten off to a terrible start under Brewster. They went 1-11 in his first year, 7-6 in his second year, and 6-7 in this past year. They just lost to Iowa State in the Insight Bowl on New Year's Eve.

They looked lost on the field and have not improved at all in Brewster's time as coach.

Quarterback Adam Weber has regressed as a player. He has the quality to be an elite quarterback and maybe someday an NFL quarterback, but the coach's inability to keep him moving and throwing consistently has caused him to look bad at some times.

The once-elite running game under Glen Mason has disappeared. Marion Barber and Lawrence Maroney were products of one of the best running offenses in the country under Glen Mason.

Brewster had the blueprint for success right in front of him and he changed the Gophers to a spread team in his first year. Obviously, that did not go well with the team winning only one game.

Realistically, they should have lost every game, but a field goal kicker missed a chip shot to save their season.

After his second season as coach came to a somber end with a 55-0 loss to Iowa, the team decided to toss the spread offense all together and get back into a basic singleback set.

Now their Mason recruits were pretty much gone, the new recruits were here to play in the spread offense, and the team was a mess on both sides of the ball.

Tim Brewster doesn't call plays on offense. Tim Brewster doesn't call plays on defense. Tim Brewster doesn't coach the special teams. What does Tim Brewster do?

He was hired as a recruiter. He had never been a head coach at the professional or collegiate level. He had never been an offensive or defensive coordinator at either level also.

Joel Maturi made one of the worst hires in school history when he elected to bring in the boisterous Brewster instead of a football coach. Just because he can get kids to come play football for the University doesn't mean he can win football games as a head coach.

If he can recruit, then hire him as a recruiter. There are so many other options out there for football coaches and just about all of them worthy of a Big Ten head coaching position have head coaching experience.

Joel Maturi you should be ashamed of your hiring of Brewster for this simple fact. You took advantage of the University of Minnesota's faithful fan base because you knew they were still high on the hiring of Tubby Smith. You took the easy way out with the Brewster hiring.

Name recognition was no longer required because you put all your chips into the basketball program. The new stadium was supposed to be your golden token with the football program and that backfired right in your face.

Almost losing to the goofy Jackrabbits of South Dakota State was embarrassing for the Gophers. More Jackrabbits fans than Gophers fans in your inaugural season of TCF Bank Stadium was a joke and must have been so embarrassing for the sports commission at the University.

Think about this, a major city of more than four million people, has one of the largest school's in the country. The students total more than 50,000 on an average year on campus and they account for about 20 percent of the attendees of the football games.

This program can't even muster up the support to fill up a stadium on about six Saturdays each Fall. It's absolutely sad that the Iowegians and drunken 'Sconi's come in here every year and take over our stadium.

It's a joke of a program. It's a joke of a coach.

I have been willing to give him a chance for another year or two based on the potential of some of his recruits, but after the garbage we saw the other night, I am done with him. He obviously can't develop players, if anything some have regressed.

Hey 7BigEazy0,

Do you have any insight on the redshirt freshmen, especially the O-linemen? Is there a legitimate starter or three for next season? Maybe a right tackle?

How about getting the ones they have in shape? I have never seen so many fat bellies hanging over their pants. The days of the 350 lb. lineman is going away, especially with the defensive ends that are speed rushing and punishing these slow lineman. Did you see the job Peppers did on McKiney - and Mckinney's an all pro. Get down to a reasonable weight , improve your conditioning and maybe the backs will have some holes to run through.

That right tackle for most of the season was terrible -- the one who had the two false starts (one of them phantom) in the Michigan St. game. I don't know if the defense was that bad. They were always put back on the field due to the lack of offense. The offense sure seemed to get worse this season.

I bet Brewster is ecstatic after hearing of Pete Carroll's departure from USC. Now instead of getting drilled by 40 next season they'll only get drilled by 35.

They might get drilled by 45 instead eek If Del Rio gets hired he'll be looking to make some noise and show he's for real and that USC is back in contention! Plus, it'll kind've be a homecoming for him crazy

Del Rio is staying with the Jags - doesn't want any part of that mess at USC. They are going to have a hard time getting a coach thats wants to spend his first few years on probation.

I heard Del Rio has 3 years/15 million left on his contract...why in the world would he leave that? Even if he get's fired they still would have to buy that out.

I don't think there's any way USC could touch that.