• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Brewster needs to be fired!

RumRiverRat

4/ GARBAGE TIME DENIED -- This is the way it is supposed to work: You suck the life out of a feisty but supposedly phsyically overmatched opponent from a lower football classification early. Then you toss the keys to the Maserati -- OK, to the jalopy -- to Gray, and let him play. A lot. Certainly much of the second half. Let him feel like a guy who might actually even be allowed to throw the ball once in a while. Yeah, it's garbage time, but right now this kid needs some reps. Let the coaches, players, and Gopher Nation take an extended look at what the future might hold. Never happened. Never came close to happening in four quarters. I'm fairly certain that even it wouldn't have happened in eight quarters.

3/ QUESTIONS, BUT NO ANSWERS -- How does a smaller, slower, supposedly physically overmatched lower classification school manage to get an 84-yard kickoff return and a 49-yard punt return? How is this possible? And how is it possible that the same visiting team manages to yield fewer sacks than the home-standing Gophers? And why didn't the Gophers blitz quarterback, Thomas O'Brien, into oblivion? You trust your secondary coverage so little that you're worried about getting burned by the Jackrabbit wide receivers, and a redshirt freshman quarterback?

2/ BANKRUPTCY -- You ever have a chance to attend a Springsteen, U2 or Stones concert, then don't follow up, and later find out from a buddy who did go that you missed one of those tour-de-force moments that you will never get back, and will regret the rest of your life?

Well, if you are one of thousands of Minnesota students who had tickets for Gophers-South Dakota State at the Bank, but decided to shut off the alarm clock, roll over and get a couple more hours sleep, maybe just stay in to protect your laptop, do not fret. Rest easy. You will not be haunted, or dogged, for the rest of your life by what you might have missed. Matter of fact, you will probably be congratulated by you chumbolone student buddies who did show up for this tour-de-flop, the most humiliating victory in Gophers history.

And the few who did show up had the decency not to storm the field after the game.

A lot of whining and consternation about the lack of participation by the student section, which might have been one-third full Saturday, at TCF Bank Stadium. Only way to stem the tide is indeed to make the kids feel like they are missing something more substantial than edging South Dakota State 16-13 mainly because your field goal kicker missed one fewer chip shot than theirs did. That ain't Boss, Bono or Mick. That's Carrot Top.

1/ CLOSED-CIRCUIT TO MATURI -- Check out that offensive game plan. Check out an abominable 3-for-16 on third down. Check out 4.3 yards per pass. Check out having absolutely no capacity to deal with, or counteract, a Division 1-AA blitz. Check out ineligible man downfield and illegal formation on consecutive plays in the third quarter (wiping out gains), and two straight timeouts before the same play in the fourth. Check out having absolutely no ability to go for the jugular after getting the ball handed to your Gophers at the Jackrabbits' 11-yard line. Check out the horribly reasoned game plan in the first half a week ago. Your conclusion might be: New Offensive Coordinator Guy is in over his head.

And you would be right...and missing the big picture.

Can't keep firing coordinators, Joel. Three years into the new era, you're running out of scapegoats. At some point you have to start pointing the finger at the guy who keeps changing the coordinators.

The guy who vowed that he would have his Gophers ready to play against SOUTH DAKOTA STATE, as if there was something bold and brash about the prediction, and then not even delivering on that pathetic pledge. The guy who apparently thinks good coaching is defined as calling a timeout to ice a field goal kicker at the end of the half. And when that's your guy's most influential coaching moment almost three full seasons into his reign, then your conclusion has to be: HE'S the guy who is in so far over his head he's Herve Villechaize with a phony southern twang.

-Dan Barreiro

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBMasterAngler

• LMITOUT

• so haaad

• CJH

None of the KFAN personalities follow Gopher football on a regular basis, so I have to laugh when the pretend to know what they are talking about.

KFAN mainly talks about the Vikes and Twins. It's rare they talk about Gopher football unless its negative and/or a pot shot. Ah the media...

Anyways, it will be interesting to see how this team does the final two games. Recruiting could get a little tougher for "Mr. Brew-cruiter" if this team lays an egg in both games.

KFAN mainly talks about the Vikes and Twins. It's rare they talk about Gopher football unless its negative and/or a pot shot. Ah the media...

I've lived in this state since 1980 and I have yet to see anything to talk about regarding this program that would not be negative.

In my opinion there is no one you could bring in here to fix the problem. The best that could ever be hoped for is to be a good consistand second tier big 10 team. This program has no history behind it and therefore will never be able to recruit like the big programs.

Do you think Nick Saben would have came in here and turned this program around like he did at Alabama? I highly doudt it. He may be an excellent recruiter/coach/motivator but a lot of the recruiting is done by the history of the program and kids wanting to be a part of that history.

Originally Posted By: so haaad

I've lived in this state since 1980 and I have yet to see anything to talk about regarding this program that would not be negative.

There really hasn't been anything postive to talk about since 1980 (and even prior) when it comes to the Gophers.

The reason they don't get much attention, i.e. airtime, is that it's the same ol' Gophers year after year.

It doesn't help when the U terminates its General College which a lot of these athletes used to register in until they selected their major. Other large schools embrace the athletic part of the college while the U of M tries to make itself out as this elitist school, which sorry to say, it is not. Athletics suffer as a result. How about Tony Dungy as a name to start throwing around as the next coach?

I just figured it out LMITOUT...you ARE Barreiro...and if not, you must worship the ground he walks on. Congratulations my boy, and now it all makes sense.

Carry on...

I just figured it out LMITOUT...you ARE Barreiro...and if not, you must worship the ground he walks on. Congratulations my boy, and now it all makes sense.

Carry on...

Gophers have some history, unfortunately it's way back in the 30's frown Too far back for anyone to care. I highly doubt we'll ever be an elite team like ohio state or penn state, but if we can make it to the outback or alamo bowl on an annual basis, and have a crack at the rose bowl every so often (illinois for example), I'd be very happy.

Unfortunately I think tony dungy is mighty cozy with his nbc gig, but I'd give it a shot anyway, offer him the biggest coaches' contract in all of sports!

Saw a Tweet that speculated if Harbaugh from Stanford wouldn't be a good candidate for Gopher head coach. Plus he isn't getting paid a lot right now at Stanford so it wouldn't take a big payday to lure him here.

The reason they don't get much attention, i.e. airtime, is that it's the same ol' Gophers year after year.

A serious question here, do you think the issue is the (Gophers) football program or is it a much bigger issue? What I mean is in almost all of the big time programs or programs with larger fan bases in the Big Ten or midwest there isn't much competition between other pro sports teams to compete with. Iowa, WI (Madison), Ohio State (Columbus), Penn State (State College) Nebraska (Lincoln) are all schools basically in the middle of nowhere. There's less competition from pro sports teams, so it almost seems that the overall expectations of the local sports fans and the local college programs are higher because there is more focus on the university. I would think it would also be a heck of a lot easier for these schools to recruit the local talent. Kind of curious what everyone elses thoughts are on this.

I would say that has some influence on the level of the fans expectations of the local squad. If there aren't other teams to cheer for in the nearby area, the university's athletic program is going to have a bigger microscope on it.

One could also say that with the bigger attractions in this area compared to other Big 11 schools, that could actually bring in MORE recruits.

Now, even though the Gophers may have less fan attention on them compared to some of these other schools in the conference as you surmised, that still isn't an excuse for them to underachieve year after year and that's probably the biggest reason recruits would rather go elsewhere. Would you rather play for Penn St or Minnesota (with all other things being equal) if you were seriously looking to continue your football career beyond high school and with any luck make it to the NFL?

The bottom line is that the gophers need to put some wins on the resume and make it to better bowl games to get the attention of better HS players but nothing has changed since Brewster has taken over for Mason. Nothing. Blowouts, losses near losses to D1-AA teams, and horribly failed bowl appearances are still the norm with Brewster.

It's time for someone new to take over this program.....someone who can actually coach.

Unfortunately Jim Harbough has michigan head coach written all over him. It's about a 95% chance that rich rodriguez is going to get fired after this season, and since harbough is a former wolverine, it's a no brainer they'll be going after him. And they'll be offering him alot more than the gophers would be willing to.

Brewster does need to be fired. He was not brought here to "rebuild the program". The students and boosters wanted Mason out because the program was destined to mediocrity under him. What Brewster did is take a mediocre team, turn it into a terrible team, and then returned it to sub-mediocrity.

I mean he decided initially to run a spread offense with the team. Can you name a single BCS conference champion that ran a spread offense? I can't. And it certainly isn't the thing to do with a team that has done nothing but run the ball down an opponents throat for the previous 5 years.

If Gopher football looked like a well prepared, intense, and disciplined team that was simply losing to overwhelmingly talented teams I might cut Brewster some slack. If you want to see an example of that watch Gophers basketball against Mich. St. The football team however shows little if any characteristics of a well-coached team.

If the U had a decent athletic director with half a clue, there would be no doubt that Brewster is coaching for his job today. Unfortunately for gopher fans Maturi doesn't have a backbone and nothing will be done until enough boosters wake up and realize they have a carny coaching their team and force Maturi's hand or just remove both of them which would be the ultimate solution.

Don't rip on the spread, Florida runs it and I think we would all take their program in a second!!!! I am mad they went away from it. The one game they brought some of it back was the Mich State game and they scored a ton of points.

Others that run it: Texas, Oregon, Boise State, West Virginia, TCU, Texas Tech, Missouri, Kansas, and on...........

Bring back the Foggie option with Gray next year. The O line doesn't get any push on running plays. They need to improve or we end up with more donuts next season.

Bring back the Foggie option with Gray next year. The O line doesn't get any push on running plays. They need to improve or we end up with more donuts next season.

Whoa, now that brings back (good) memories!

Unfortunately weber will still be starting next year because brewster is too scared to bench his players. Our best defensive players are going to be gone next year, so look for us to be getting beat badly in lot's of games. My prediction is a 4-8 season next year, with a shock loss to either middle tennessee or northern illinois.

The U doesn't want to pay for a buyout on Brewster's contract.

A lot of red shirts coming in next year, hopefully, there is some good talent.

Weber sucks but no more than fatties protecting him. That line smells something bad.

Weber has happy feet and cannot read a defence. Then, when someone is open, he throws it at their feet or way over their head. He is a choker with a so so arm at best.

I am not giving up on the team ..yet..Go Gophs.

tweed

Read this morning that they are thinking about switching Gray to WR. Apparently Moses Allipate (sp) has been doing better than him and they have another good QB Parrish coming in next year...... Apparently that shows how Gray's development as a QB has gone.

I missed watching the game but listened to it on the radio. Sounds like the U saved money on bus fare by not taking the offense squad along for the trip. Same story, different game - bad quarterback play by Weber, a terrible o-line, no running game. The defense played well though with some of the younger kids stepping up.

They can put anyone in at QB but without a running game he will suffer. What happened to the tradition of decent running backs the U had?