• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pre/Post Game Minnesota Wild Banter

JimBuck

I am very happy about Barker, Did you see the way he found the open shot on the Power play? That is exactly what we needed. He had 2 bombs from the point that made it to the net, one of which went in. I like him so far. It will take a little while to get used to the new system defensively.

That said, call darn son of beeeeep, how do we loose that darn Atlanta game? Ughhhh that hurt. What makes me the madest is that the teams we need to loose, mostly did. 2 wins would have put us in 8th. we are still 5 points out.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OnAFly

• walleyes12

• scsavre

• JimBuck

No kidding, the way we lost that one was tough.

Before, Richards said the team would need at least 8 points in the last 5 games to stay in playoff contention. We got 6. Anyone think the trading will heat up after the break?

Funny how you can tell who listens to the 93X morning show, by how they call him "The Tenderness."

That was a good game yesterday, good use of the power play, and a good job of keeping the game pretty clean. The Canucks were picking fights and we were mostly staying out of them or at least being reactionary. Richards didn't seem to even be putting Boogaard and Scott out there for long shifts.

I'll enjoy watching their remaining games but this isn't a playoff team this season. The past 16 years that I've lived in Minnesota has taught me two things:

1) In most sports we will be rooting for them to squeak into the playoffs

2) They will get crushed in the first round

It is so hard to tell. It looked like we were freeing up space by moving Johnsson. That gave us an extra $2mil, getting us up to almost $5mil in cap space. Which could get us a real good player. But now, it is an even longer shot.

I have heard rumors of us still trying to get patrick sharp from chicago, which would be sweet he is a very balanced player who until this year has always recorded more goals than helpers in a year. It would be nice, but you would think it would have been part of the other trade if this was the case.

I have also heard the Modano to the Wild as a rental player, but really whats the point when we dont win anyways.

If we sell Nolan will be heading to SJ, and we will be dealing Shep

Dealing Shep might be a good thing. He's so down on himself here, I don't think he could succeed. Maybe we could trade him for another under-performing young kid who needs a change of scenery. Could help two teams at once like the Latendress/Pouliot trade.

I don't see Modano coming here. There's no reason. He's not Nolan caliber and he is Nolan's age. If we're really thinking of dealing Nolan, we definitely wouldn't try to get Modano.

Getting Sharp would be great, but where's the space for a Koivu signing. It would be hard for the Wild to pay a guy like him and keep everyone. Maybe if he didn't want a ton of money and was willing to play center, he'd fit.

Sharp has 3 more years on a $3.9 mil contract. I think we may get him in the off season. I'd give Shepard, Harding, zidlicky for him, or another good player.

Wild have the room, if Bouchard doesnt play.

Just had a thought last night about the remainder of the NHL players that are not playing in the olympics. Does anyone know if teams just take a break or do they still continue with practice and training? My thought is these guys still continue to do more individualized training but team practices are put off until the olympics are over and the US wins gold. Thoughts?

Teams are not allowed to have practice or any organized meetings. Players are allowed to keep themselves in game shape, that's about it.

I heard an interview with Clutterbuck before the olympic break, and he said most of the players are either going on vacation with their family or going home and relaxing!

Really seems like a time they should be conditioning, I assume they are all doing someting to stay in shape.

I would bet that at that level 99% of those guys are always doing something to stay in shape. When your career depends on it, you have many incentives to be in shape ($$$). I know during the lockout a few years ago that a lot of the local guys were working out and playing pickup games at Mariucci to stay in shape in case the lockout ended.

Yah, i bet they are all doing a little something. I almost wish that we didnt have any guys in the olympics. Seems like a good opportunity for your guys to get a good rest, and recharge.

Yeah, at least Harding is getting a good couple of weeks to let his injury heal.

For an injured team, this time can be a savior.

Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of Zidlicky in the next three years. He just signed an extension for 3 years at $4 million a year.

He is 33 right now. He will be 36 and making $4million in his last year. He has a no trade clause for the first two years, I think. If he is still going good his last year, he might be good trade bate. Teams love the offensive defenseman going into the playoffs.

Sounds like Kobasew is skating and will be back with the team again. I'm excited to see if he can contribute for the final 20ish games left.

I'm glad Zidlicky is sticking around. You make a good point OnAFly about trade bait. Any word if we are gonna do something with Belanger or Nolan? Deadline is tomorrow right?

Tomorrow at 2:00 CT. We'll see what happens with them I guess.

I heard there were a couple of teams asking about Nolan. That could be a good deal for us. He's been valuable so far, but you have to start wondering how much longer he'll be useful. Maybe we can resign him after the season is over if we do ship him out as a rental.

I do like Zidlicky, not sure about 3 years at 4 mil at the young age of 33, but hey, he is our only d man that gets points.

Sweet goal just scored by the Brunette-Kiovu-Miettinen line. TIC-TAC-TOE!!!

They looked rusty in the first with lots of passes in the skates. Second is looking much better. Looks like Backstrom hasn't missed a beat. Though, he did get a little time in thanks to Kipper.

So with Belanger traded for a second rounder, who in the world is going to play center for this team??? Koivu and, and, and ???

I think if we give Koivu 45 minutes of icetime a night we should be ok. If you think about it a half dead Mikko is still better than any other center we have.

Oh, come on, we've got Shep! In all seriousness, we do need another center and I think that will be a priority this summer. Ebbett is a good 2-3 liner, and Shep has turned into a 4th line center. We need someone to fill that other 2-3 line spot.

Shep can fetch water for Mikko! Eh maybe we are too hard on Shep, he's only 22, he could have some kind of miracle turn around next year. Its really too bad the Wild didn't let him him grow up a little in the AHL.

Alright Solbes, you asked for it you get it. I am going to have to lace up my bauer 2000 and center that second line.

This trade just seems a little off to me. You are right who is going to center? Are we going to move someone up, Almond? Cause we all know it isnt going to be PMB.

We cant even use our first round picks for something. What are we going to do with a 2nd. Maybe trade it along with Harding and Shepard. Maybe the wild came real close, and they have a little something planned for the off season.

I'm pretty sure we see a trade or free agent center this offseason. And unlike years past I actually have faith that our GM will get something done.

Doesnt Broadziak center the second line, Miko the first and throw ebbett on the 3rd line. Then we can drop Sheppard off at the unemployment line on our next road trip?

There's the person I was forgetting about. Yeah, Brodziak does center that 2nd line. You're right.

Hey, the next road game is Friday in Edmonton and Shep is Canadian...I'm just saying it would be easy as far as the whole immigration thing goes.

I really think Shep got thrown into a role he was nowhere near ready for and is now stuck in since we can't send him to the minors without putting him on waivers. He's lost confidence in himself and any drive he once had to play as hard as he can. We've seen him be effective, but that sophomore slump came around and he never recovered from it. Instead of sending him back to minors for a while, he sat in the media room or the bench and played 5 minutes a game.

The best thing for him would be to get traded to a team with a solid minor league team and get sent down for a year or two. Hopefully we would get something in return.

I really expected the Wild to move him yesterday. I hope this offseason they can find a taker, and we can get some what of a draft pick for him. what a waste of a first round draft pick!

If that is our center plan for next year.

Kiovu

Brodziack

Ebbett

You can forget about 2011 as well then.

Fortunately, I do think they are making room for another center or 2. We have a little identity crisis with some players that need to be cleaned up. Brodziak, doesnt quite have the offensive abilities to be a 2nd line center on a good team. However he is young with talent. Ebbet is similar, but not as good. Neither of these guys play third line center hockey either. Brodziack does have the size to bang around on the third line though. And with Boogaard and worthless shepard hitting people on the fourth line, maybe third line doesnt need to be as physical, but then what to do with Clutterbuck.

I do have confidence that we will put a good team on the ice next year though. Stinking PMB, he'd help. A second line center should be a guy who gets 40 assists. A staal, zajac or fischer type. A dream third line center for me is about 15 goals and 25 assists.

Our weakest position before the year began was center. PMB was/is the guy we need to center line 2, but we may never see him back. Havlat and "The Tenderness" need a mover and shaker. Brodziak is a fine 4, or maybe 3rd center. He is not a 2nd. Shep should be sent down, honestly.

I say let Scsavre give it a shot, I don't think we'd suffer to much.

I am on it. I did a little warm up on the out door rink before it melted. I am a little rusty but those Bauer 3000 were sure melting ice. I muscled the puck off a 10 year old too. I think after a few ice baths Ill be good to go.

But honestly, anything is better than Shepard. I wonder if they ever try to just leave him on the road trip. Maybe that is why we have that Finland game next year.

I dont know if PMB is ever coming back. I see him at the rink after Wild games sometimes. He is just tiny, no muscle mass left. I am not holding my breath for next year.