• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Miltona Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Went out yesterday and found 8-9 inches of ice in most areas with some slushy spots still here or there. We didn't pick up much during the day but as usual the night bite was good with 10 eyes caught in about 45 mins at sunset. They were liking my macho minnow tipped with a pinched live minnow in 20 FOW. Does anybody have any tips on locating some panfish during the day? I would like to get on some gills or crappies but haven't had much luck with that yet.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VikingBayAngler

• MBRAGuy

• Chad Peterson

• eagle_3464

I'm looking to get my two sons out fishing on Miltona this week. Does anyone have any tips on where i could get them on a good panfish bite? How is Tamarack bay this time of year? or should i venture deeper? Any tips would be appreciated.

Awesome...take the kids fishing!!! Bless your heart sir! Well let's see, WE got a report from a Mr. Don Henning last weekend that they are getting some dandy panfish on the weeds in the bay off the NE access lots of spearing houses out there, but they are angling for panfish and taking some nice craps at dusk and into the evening hrs....I have not been out myself yet but hope to get out over the holiday...please let us know how you do! Take care...also, can you give the ice report currently out on the main lake....hope to be able to drive out when I get up there next weekend.

Thanks for the report! If Don gave you that info it must be true.We'll have to get over there and try that out. I took my oldest son out last night and we were getting some eyes on tip ups off a steep break in 30fow. The ice was anywhere from 10-16 inches but varied greatly. Still some slushy spots out there as well. I'll let you know how the panfishing goes! Thanks again.

001_zps2627a73e.jpg

008_zps710e251b.jpg

Thanks again for the report. We headed out tonight and found some gills and crappies in the weeds. They were being a little finicky but we managed to pick up a few nice ones. My son caught the largest crappie, so all and all a great night! People definitely need to keep an eye out for slush pockets if they are in vehicles or ATV's they can be deeper than they look. Still not many wheel houses out on the main lake.

018_zps034504fb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any luck on the walleyes lately? We've found some eyes in the 10-13 inch range in 20-30 FOW, but haven't found many larger fish. Anyone else pulling some more sizable fish through the ice?

Viking, how is the ice and snow conditions on the lake. Going to be heading up there on the 18th and wanted to know if i needed to bring the sleds?

Dumb question here. I'm not familiar with fishing a lake like Miltona that has structure. Our lakes in SW part of state are shallow bowls. With that said, ice fishing do you set up over the deeper breaks or get up on top or out in deep holes for walleyes? Thanks

I'm no pro on the lake by any means, but last weekend we found some keeper fish in 18 feet leading into sharper breaks but they're done at 5:30/6:00 or so. Smaller fish on jigging spoons and larger ones on set lines (bobber). Biggest 25 inches last weekend (went back) but a lot of small fish mixed in which is a good sign for the fishery. The perch are there early and when they stop the eye's start.

Good luck.

We've had the best luck on deep breaks overall for walleyes. Some eyes can be found in the deeper water during the day then we will slide up shallower towards evening. The best bite for us has come at sundown on sharp breaks closer to deep water. I've been out of town for a few days so i'll post an ice report early this week, but with all the snow and slushy spots I would still prefer an atv or snowmobile over a vehicle.

Blackhawk,

The snow may present some problems if you are wanting to use a vehicle. There is also still some slush surprisingly to deal with out there as well. I would bring the sleds with you, you'll be glad you did. The ice conditions still remain variable. We've drilled 12inches of ice to 20 inches in a matter of a hundred yards. Be cautious and stay safe!

Thanks Viking. I got my new rack made for my sled so hopefully i will get to put it to use.

Anyone know what condition the lake accesses are? Can a 4x4 drive anywhere or are sleds needed? Be there this weekend and would prefer not to drag the sleds with.

Not sure about the accesses. I've seen some pick-ups driving out from Sandy beach and the sportmen's access in Miltona bay yesterday, but we got 4-6 inches of snow last night and it's been blowing pretty good today. There was a small S10 pick up driving out in the middle yesterday and appeared to be getting around fine but the snow we got last night might change things a little. Definitely bring a shovel with you & look out for drifts.

• 2 weeks later...

How was your trip on Miltona BlackHawk? Has anyone had any luck with the panfish lately? The walleye bite has been pretty consistent. We've had the best luck on glow spoons tipped with 1/2 a minnow tight to the bottom. Looks like travel is going to be difficult out on the lake with the latest snowfall and wind the last couple days. Anybody else having any luck?

VikingBay Guy woiuld you know of anyone else who might have a fishhouse to rent this Saturday afternoon/eve on Miltona? Ypou guys only have one wheel house for rent there correct?

Also...how deep are you getting the walleye currently? Be up this weekend with my son to do some bottom bouncing. I heard someone got a 29 incher out there last week? That's what I'm talking about dude. See you out there!

Hey Viking, Fishing was a little slow i guess. Caught a ton of little perch but didn't really find the bigger ones. We came home with 5 walleyes, 1 perch from Miltona and picked up a few crappies on Lake Vermont. We were fishing around the 12-17 ft range but maybe we were not deep enough? Lake travel was a little interesting with a couple of slush pockets. Found around 22" of ice except for one spot I drilled and it was probably around 1 foot. Needless to say i was a little nervous at that point as i had water in every footstep i made. Didn't really affect the sleds but make sure you know where you are driving in a truck.

The only other contact I know of is Dan Steidl 320-304-1658 that has shacks on Miltona. Yes, we only have one shack at this time and it is currently booked for Saturday. We are set up on a sharp break in 25 fow and have had a consistent bite. I haven't got a 29 incher yet but would love to have the opportunity. I hope you find a shack and catch a lunker! Let me know how things work out.

Glad you found some fish. Yea the ice this year is really variable, that heavy snow we got early really screwed things up. The big perch can be hard to locate, so far it just seems like luck to me. We are sitting in a little deeper water for the walleyes but have had luck shallower after dark in 12-15 fow. Thanks for the report!

Does anyone have any contact information on the Carlos Gun Club that maintains the access on the South East side? I see they have an address to mail a fee to, but does anyone have a phone number? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Guys, Has anyone been out lately? I'm coming up to Miltona this wknd. Hows travel on the lake? Is there a road out of the West end public access? I would be fishing that west bay. How deep are the walleyes & panfish? Thanks

Hey Guys,

Haven’t seen any replies yet. Any help is much appreciated! Might be fishing out of the north public access as well. Please PM, if you don’t wish to share info.

Thanks

Hi, I'm not sure about any road on the west access but if you plan on doing much traveling I would definitely have a track vehicle or snowmobile. Walleyes are found in anywhere from 15-30 fow. They can be easily caught on a minnow and jigging spoon. The best bite continues to be early morning and at sunset. Fatheads and shiners have worked well. I haven't went after panfish lately but i would guess you could find some in the shallow bays or also suspended in the basins closest to their typical shallow weedy areas. Good luck!

Hey Viking,

Any new updates on the lake conditions. I guess we are heading that way this weekend. I am guessing the sleds are going to be a necessity?

• The title was changed to Lake Miltona Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions