• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Miltona Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Went up yesterday with the snowmobile and glad we brought that. Not much for fishing crowds. Drilled many holes and only came up with perch drilled from 10 to 35' and only marked the perch. Was looking for crappies but no luck. Thanks for the last reply on what to use as vehicle,CRAPPIE Sniffer.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VikingBayAngler

• MBRAGuy

• Chad Peterson

• eagle_3464

Any reports out there? Heading there on Friday. I got a few good spots to try from the fall bite. hoping the fish are still around. Any walleyes being caught? I just wanna catch some fish.

I am hearing that the walleye bit has slowed down, but the panfish are good. I am sure that somewhere the walleyes are bitting.

Sniffer

Do you know what depth they are catching the pannies at? Wouldn't mind a few for a fish fry later that night! Thanks for any info!!

Most of the panfish are being caught in the 9-12FOW range. It is pretty good lately for sunfish.

Sniffer

• 2 weeks later...

Not much on walleyes. Talked to a few guy's how moved there houses off last week. I am heading here on Saturday to do some fishing and see what is going on out there.

Sniffer

Are there any plowed roads on Miltona off the public access??? If not can one get around with a truck???

Thanks

Swabby

The lastest Fishing Report For Lake Miltona

Lake Miltona fishing report, Walleye have been caught in the low light hours and on fatheads and jigging spoons in the 10 to 16 foot depths. Jumbo perch and panfish are the ticket of interest for most anglers. Panfish have been hitting the 4 to 10 foot depths on waxworms and small flutter jigs. Remember moving from hole to hole in a area increases the number of fish being caught.

www.visitlakemiltona.com

The lastest Fishing Report For Lake Miltona

Lake Miltona fishing report, Walleye have been caught in the low light hours and on fatheads and jigging spoons in the 10 to 16 foot depths. Jumbo perch and panfish are the ticket of interest for most anglers. Panfish have been hitting the 4 to 10 foot depths on waxworms and small flutter jigs. Remember moving from hole to hole in a area increases the number of fish being caught.

www.visitlakemiltona.com

Hole to hole is the ticket and you will be rewarded!

Sniffer

• 4 weeks later...

While out on the ice the last couple days I have been second guessing myself. Wondering if I can even catch a fish anymore. Putting in the time but being rewarded with small fish and very few keepers. Working to find the fish is getting harder with the recent snow fall. Making travel troublesome in a way, moving can be tireing after getting stuck a few times but thats why I pack a shovel. Recently finding a school of jumbo perch that struck my interest. After fishing them for a few hours I had noticed that I had kept 9 that were 10 to 11 inch fish. Wow I said, while thinking this is the groove I needed to reboost my fishing skills and confidence. With the fish in 16 to 22 feet of water, making it a blast on the ice. Bait was simple, a demon jig and waxworm dangling off the jig. Fish were hitting it hard nocking slack in the line, thats fun when fish do that. Warmer temps on the horizon making for some fun days on ice to come, so keep giving what you have to give and catch some fish. Remember bring a freind or a family member to keep you company or even have a challenge, to make you want to go again.

• 6 months later...

Water temp. on Miltona is 61 degrees. I am sure the lake has turned over.

Sniffer

I'm curious Chad...what makes you think it's turned over??

I know alot of variables come into play (prevailing winds, lake depth, rapid temp changes, precipitation,ect), but I always thought mid to low 50's was more of a turnover temp than 61. If the cigars are out deep, I'd agree. I was on Minnetonka tonight....same temp. Nothing out deep yet. Lots up shallow. Definately no signs of turnover here.

Because, last week the temp was 57-60 degrees at the surface and I used the camera the temp was higher as I had it on the bottom. This week the temp has jumped to 61 degrees, I see that the lake is turning over. The panfish have moved to the deeper edges of the holes and breaks. And the walleyes are in the 15-18FOW.

If you want to discuss, just give me a call.

Sniffer

I agree with Chad on this one. If you find those green weeds they will hold fish but overall many of the weeds have started to die off or are dead.

Because, last week the temp was 57-60 degrees at the surface and I used the camera the temp was higher as I had it on the bottom. This week the temp has jumped to 61 degrees, I see that the lake is turning over. The panfish have moved to the deeper edges of the holes and breaks. And the walleyes are in the 15-18FOW.

If you want to discuss, just give me a call.

Sniffer

No need to keep the discussion private. Not calling you out or anything. Maybe we can all learn from each other. I'm just curious and looking for knowledge from someone that's on the water observing more often than I am. The turnover subject has always interested me. Many fallacies and myths surrounding in the past. I appreciate your input and expanding my limited knowledge regarding it.

It makes sense that the water was warmer deeper down in "shallow" water. Surface temps would cool first if you're measuring down to 15,18,20, even 25 feet down. The cooler water might be 25-30 feet. If the water temp was 60 degrees in 50 feet of water, I'd agree. Turnover happened.

Weeds dying doesn't really signify turnover, IMO. Weeds dying off has as much to do with sun angle and length of sun as it does water temp, althgouth the timing a lot of time coincides.

I agree that there is a lot of unknown and myth out there about the subject, i was always told it happened around 45 degrees. Last year, was actually on a local lake when it turned over around 56 degrees the night after an 85 degree day! It took me a few days to figure it out what had happened. The lake suddenly filled with weeds, dead snails floating everywhere, and stinky green snot floating, but just attributed it to a storm because in my mind it was still to warm for it to happen. Ended up fishing a lot that weekend on different lakes and started seeing and hearing the same thing as well, so figured it had to be turnover.

This year was on the same lake about a week ago where the water temps were 58-60 ish and noticed a few bays that had a lot of the same stinky gunk and debri washing up on shore. I don't have a temp gauge on my camera so don't know for sure, but i do suspect some of those bays did turn over. Maybe this is how it starts? Don't think the main lake did, but can't rule it out completely. Thinking this must be just another one of Mother Natures interesting processes and figuring out exactly what is going on is a lot like predicting the weather......

Goose, no problem. I just know that the lake has alot of signs that tell me the lake has turned. Now with this warmer weather, who knows. Every lake is different and fished panfish this weekend and it showed those fish on the deeper side.

Sniffer

Every lake is different, I agree. Most aren't deep enough to have a true turnover. Mille Lacs is an example. It's "shallow" enough the winds are constantly mixing the water. I haven't taken depth temps, but I wouldn't be surprised if Minnewaska doesn't truly turnover either. There's fish in the basin all year round. Deep lakes like Miltona, and Minnetonka down here, definately develop a thermocline that "seals" the deeper parts for much of the warm water season.

How deep where your panfish coming from? Not unusual to catch NICE sunnies on 'tonka in 22-25 feet of water in late summer. Thermocline is usually around there or a bit deeper from what I've been told. Might have to do some depth temp checking next summer and have some objective info to share. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations.

Hey guys, any idea if this would hold true for Osakis as well? My wife and I are heading up this weekend for our ONE trip of the year, and always wondering where to start looking for panfish. Any help appreciated!

Boatless, I talked to a good friend today and said the crappies have moved to deeper water. They are schooling up and look for 20-35FOW holes and the panfish will be there. Good luck this weekend.

Sniffer

What Sniffer said, least that is where they were last weekend. I had good luck on a variety of gulp alive baits but saw people catching them on minnows as well.

Boatless, I found bluegills in the North East end. "Manthey's Bay" as some call it. The biggest ran about 13oz. and the rest were nothing to brag about. Quite a few three to a pound to almost half a pound sunfish though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Lake Miltona Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions