• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Miltona Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Thanks a lot mbraguy ! We are staying at Viking bay resort , I will put your advice to work

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VikingBayAngler

• MBRAGuy

• Chad Peterson

• eagle_3464

MBRAguy said it well! We've seen some nice fish lately. Slip bobbers have been the best producer by far. Leeches and crawlers both working very well. Small mouth bass have even been caught right off the dock twitching leeches under slip bobbers. Should be a great summer of fishing.

Water levels are high. We've seen a lot of rain this spring and early summer. The lake is at a really good level right now, just a little less beach along the shore.

Well the wind has blew most of the fishing out of the question for 2 days ! This morning was ok for a bit , slip bobber in 17- 21 feet with leeches .

Lot's of big fish this summer....Miltona glory off the doc, Muskie!!! Came charging out of the bull rush to hit a 9 inch fire tiger suick!!! Lot's of Miltona Gold!!! Big Walleye!!!...doesn't get any better than this!!! Praise the Lord!!!

full-37887-47202-virgmuskie2014.jpg

full-37887-47203-virgfish22014.jpg

full-37887-47204-virg27inchwalleye2012.j

Nice fish!! The fishing has been pretty darn good lately. I can't wait to get out and target some muskies myself. Maybe I should just start from the dock as well!

• 4 weeks later...

Weird summer weather continues but the fish are still biting. Walleyes have been coming in on leeches and spinners in 20-25 fow.Inside turns along the weed edges have been pretty stacked with fish. Good numbers of walleyes have been caught during the evening hours. Panfish are sitting around weed points and can be easily caught using small jigs or bobber rigs. Looks like cooler temps are on the way next week, so hopefully that doesn't throw stuff off too much.

Is there much of a night trolling bite on Miltona? Buddy and I are trying to decide where to go night trolling Friday with the full moon coming up. Miltona crossed my mind but have never night fished it.

Thanks

I was in Alexandria fishing the chain of lakes last weekend and if you plan on night fishing you better hope there is a stiff breeze-Like 25-30 mph.The mosquitos were the worst I have ever experienced on a lake,they would bite thru your jeans,thick sweatshirt,even your hat and hood.It didnt matter what you had on for bug spray,I had 100 percent Deet on and a Thermacell sitting on my lap and they couldve care less,even spooled up the old two-stroke a few times and burned quite a few ciggarettes-none of it mattered,they still swarmed me and bit me like nothing was goin on.I still have welts...But good luck.

Yea the Skeeter's are a pain and doesn't sound like there is going to be much wind either to keep them away but gotta go when you can go. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any musky reports lately? Heading down this weekend to sling some bucktails...

Did you have any luck? Been considering making a trip up there.

• 2 months later...

Hey VikingBayAngler time to start posting again....how's the ice conditions on Milt any of the bays iced over yet??? Please report....Thanks!!!

MBRA, your bay was still completely wide open last night. There was a couple of muskie boats out late into the night. I didn't check the lake tonight but will report once the ice forms.

I can't believe we are back to talking about ice fishing. Wasn't quite ready for this cold snap yet. We have ice locked up all along the east shore, but plenty of open water out there.Still seeing boats today, so some of the accesses must be useable still. The wind is going to make for some choppy ice on our side again this year.

Friday evening there were still boats going off the main access. Olstads bay was still open but some ice crystals forming out to about 25 ft off shore. Saturday morning a good portion of the lake was covered with nice smooth ice. As I type this the wind is picking up pretty good so let's hope it doesn't open it back up.

Looking out the windows today it is hard to spot any open water. There is a small open area along the North shore but if it wasn't for the wind everything would be locked up. These cool temps have done a number on Miltona. Going to have a little warm up towards the end of the week but she's putting ice on fast.

Thanks for the report VBA!!! Hope to get up over Thanksgiving and at least walk out providing there is enough safe ice out there. !XXX! My brother has a place over on Ida, on Christopherson bay, sounds like they are close to being able to walk out there also....Can't believe this weather already, but I am thank full we are not under all the lake effect snow going on around the great lakes communities right now, That's CRAZY!!! I've been meaning to ask you how the crappie fishing is on your end during the winter??? Do you find them out there ever??? Thanks again. Hope to see you out there some time.....have a Good Thanksgiving for sure!!!

I don't target crappies a whole lot,but the only spot I've had much luck at is the bay just off the East access. I know the bite can be good off the weeds across the bay from us ,but I couldn't tell you from experience. Maybe I'll try that out this year. Hope to see you out there too. Looks like some open water out on the west end still but it won't be too long before people start getting up the courage to wonder out in the bays. Happy Turkey Day!

Not sure what the lake has done the last two nights but Wednesday evening there was a lot of open water throughout the lake. Most had previously been capped over except for a few small open areas. The high winds early in the week really opened up those areas. Olstad's should have some pretty good ice by now but I don't think I go far from there. Wednesday there was a pretty good open area off the point and around into Tamarac bay. The deeper area mid-lake looked to have a large open area. Be safe if heading out and make sure to check ice frequently.

Nice report. I agree that I would not wonder out to far yet, the ice is very inconsistent. This little warm up isn't going to help things over the weekend either. Just curious, as I am still fairly new to the area, being here for only 3 years, where is Olstad's bay and is there any other names that people refer to the bays on Miltona? Tamarack is obvious to me but is there any other names I should know? Just curious.

Viking, I am in the same boat, we just moved here 4 years ago so I have a lot to learn. Olstad's bay is the one just right of the access. That is the name of those who owned the resort association in the bay for many years. I'll have to stop over and chat some day.

Olstad's is what we call it. Although it is not identified as having a name on any lake maps that I have seen??? So I guess that's just an identifier by location if nothing else. Thanks for the reports, they are much appreciated. I will definitely wait a couple more weeks before testing it...See you on the safe ice!!!

Thanks for the info guys. Quite the warm up we had this weekend. Definitely saw some darkening of the ice with the sunshine on Saturday. I was surprised to see a few small houses in the bay just off the resort here. I'll be waiting another week or two also, before I think of venturing out too far. I'd rather be safe then be the first one on the ice.

Back to the ice making cold for a few days. Now if we could just get a few days without the wind. I don't think the warmer temps over the weekend did any significant damage to the already existing ice. The wind is hurting more than anything and keeping the deeper areas open. Once we are completely iced over it is going to be extremely important to be checking the ice conditions as you go. There are going to be lots of areas that are two weeks behind others so use caution. All that being said, there are two small houses out on Olstad's along with a wheeler.

• The title was changed to Lake Miltona Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions