• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for fantasy advice...

Deitz Dittrich

Ok.. I have never been in a fantasy league of any kind. But was talked into it this year. It seems like a very strange league, and I have no idea going about how to rank the players so I know how to go about the draft. I am positive I am going to loose this year, but am excited to have the fun playing.

So, if there are any pro-Hoops stat dudes out there willing to help me out here is how the league is run.

Its a auction draft, but each player can keep 5 guys from their last years team. I being the new guy get to pick one guy off each roster from each of the other 9 teams. Each team will have a 15 man roster when all is said and done, and will play 12 guys each week. There are 8 cats..

Steals

Assists

Rebounds

3-Pointers Made

Free Throw Percentage

Field Goal Percentage

Blocks

Ok, here is the weird part.. You dont go against another team each week. Stats just keep going all season and youadd all your players stats up at the end of the season. So if your team has scored the most points your team then gets 10 points(10 teams) the team that scores the 2nd most points would then get 9points.. and so forth.. then the same goes for the other 7 stat cats. so if your team has the most steals you would then get 10 points ect.

So, I assume trying to pick well rounded guys may be your best option and try to get a few guys that may excel in a stat cat? I have gone on the net and got the top 50 stat getters in each of those cats. But am going blind trying to see which guys are in each of them.

So, any advice?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deitz Dittrich

• Juan Grande

• Scott M

• Jigger Here

Deitz,

I'm a fantasy hoops nut so I can help you out. The scoring system you're describing is called rotisserie or roto scoring. It's pretty common in fantasy hoops and baseball, but not in football. Yes, the main goal of assembling a good team in a roto league is to have balance and to not be too terrible in any one category.

I'm guessing you'll get to pick from the other teams' rosters after they've selected their five keepers which means no superstars for you. If you can post the rosters and keepers, I can give you my two cents on who you should pick.

ESPN.com has a fantasy basketball draft kit with a rankings sheet that has auction values based on a $100 limit. I'd print that off and cross out the players that are kept. You'll have to adjust the values considering 50 guys will be off the board when you start.

The only difference in drafting for roto vs. head-to-head is guys like Dwight Howard (who dominates rebounds and blocks, but will sink your FT%) have less value because he hurts you so bad in one category.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

John

Thanks Juan.. as I kind of said, I have no expectations. I did print off a sheet that had ranking for this type league and had planned on doing exactly as you said. I will check the espn version to see how different it is to the one I printed.

Thanks.. I am supposed to get the rosters and keepers by tomorrow.

I get to pick 1 person off each roster. But take their salary as well. They are allowed to protect 5 players. Then its just flat out auction format. So, technically, I should have the most money to get the next tear guys. Thus if I play my cards/money right I should have the most ballanced team. But not have any of the stars. I'll know more tomorrow when I see whom is protected. I just got done crossing the ESPN poll with the one I downloaded. Much was similar with guys not being too far different except for some notables..

espn rank other rank Player

31 22 Devin Harris

40 24 Josh Smith

22 31 David West

25 34 Jose Calderon

64 38 Hedo Turkoglu

not sure which poll I take more weight in the second poll I had averaged drafts by Lipscomb, Karabell and McKitish.

No matter what It will be fun.

Oh, that kind of fantasy. When I saw the thread title, I expected something a bit more entertaining. whistle

X- do you have Fantasies about big tall strong dudes?..

Did I open up the wrong forum? this is the basketball forum isnt it? LMAO~~

In my defense, when clicking on a topic on the left, you have no idea what forum it's coming from. Smart aleck. madgrin

You might have a shot at some stars then since guys might not keep them if their salaries are too high.

I got the first e-mail.. Players kept by the person...

Blake Griffin

Brook Lopez

David West

Al Horford

Mo Williams

Carmelo Anthony

Ron Artest

Ones made available to me, and their cost should I take them.

Mike Bibby $5

Vince Carter $26

James Posey $10

Antwan Jameson $14

Richard Jefferson $3

Kevin Love $7

Mike Dunleavy $10

John Salmons $9

Anddris Biedrins $8

I'm pretty sure I start with $150 total dollars.. from that list above I think for the dollar amount that Antwan jameson may be a decent deal but I worry about Gilbert Arenas' coming back and taking quite a few mins away from Jameson. Carter would be nice to have but not worth the $26 I think of my cap? My gut tells me to take Andris B. Very good shot % His boards and blocks I thin kare very nice. Thoughts?

Who is keeping these guys?

Blake Griffin

Brook Lopez

David West

Al Horford

Mo Williams

Carmelo Anthony

Ron Artest

I wonder how someone kept Griffin if this is his first year in the league?

From that list I would say Bibby, Jamison, Jefferson, Love and Biedrins are good deals. Dunleavy is solid, but gets injured too much. Salmons and Posey are both bench players and Carter costs too much.

Arenas will take some shots away, but Jamison is still good for 17/9 per night with threes out of the PF spot.

Quote:
Who is keeping these guys?

One of the 9 guys that were in the league last year. I think he was one of the original 8, they picked up a 9th last year and I am the new guy to make 10 this year. I think this team got 4th last year, but could be wrong.

Quote:
I wonder how someone kept Griffin if this is his first year in the league?

After the draft, there is a second draft, each team can claim the rights to two "prospects". One of his prospects was Blake Griffin.

I only get to pick one of these guys from this roster. Any person I dont pick will go back into the draft/auction. So at this point I am looking for the best deal. I can choose to not take any of them as well. At this point I am still leaning on Picking up Antwon Jameson.

I am not considering Jefferson, while he may score points, I dont think he is good enough in the other aspects of the game for this type scoring system.

Jamison is solid. You probably can't go wrong if you pick bewteen him, Love or Biedrins.

With the Wolves up tempo style this year, I bet Love will average over 10 boards per game.

Mike Bibby $5

Vince Carter $26

James Posey $10

Antwan Jameson $14

Richard Jefferson $3

Kevin Love $7

Mike Dunleavy $10

John Salmons $9

Anddris Biedrins $8

Salmons won't get as many minutes. Beware old guys like Posey, Jamison, Bibby, Jefferson...their numbers are declining as are their minutes. Although, out of all of the above, at least Jameson and Bibby start. Jameson will get a lot of play under Flip, he likes tall PFs in the KG mold. Bibby is a good deal at 3 bucks, he still starts and that team likes to run and get easy buckets.

Love I think is a steal at that price. He is going to get a ton of minutes and he's in better shape. He may see more total minutes 2/3rds into the year than he got all of last year. He'll be a double double machine without a weak statistical area for his position. Dunleavy was pretty much hurt all last year, trust me, I had him for most of it. His knee isn't coming back 100%. I would avoid him. Carter is too expensive. Biedrins is a roto stud on a team that likes to run and lacks a true center. He'd be a good deal.

If you can find Knick guards, they are a hot item. Mike D'Antoni coached teams have guards that run up big stat lines that are statistically different from the same players career averages...the style of play promotes lots of scoring and assists.

One final thought on NBA roto...if you want to do well, you will have to read box scores and recaps every day...you need to know how minutes are fluctuating for players and who is hurt. I'm not as big a fantasy basketball rube as I am for football because it takes more work.

I agree Chise. Biedrins and Love are the best value, followed by Jamison.

There are a lot of good PFs this year of if you don't need them to block shots.

I've kind went a different direction with lots of thought. I had the ability to snare up to 7 players predraft.. But have to take 4. So, at this point I have decided to only take the minimum 4 and go from there unless I think I found an awesome deal.

Currently, Here are the ones I am fairly interested in.

Antwan Jameson $14

Kevin Martin $16

Derrick Rose $13

Jason Richardson $5

Charlie Villanueva $4

Tony Parker $9

So those are my interests.. as of right now, I am heaviliy leaning toward

Tony Parker

Charlie V (not great but very good price)

Derrick Rose

Kevin Richardson

all others I think I might be able to get in the draft for the same price or better?.. Could be wrong though.. The only other one I have thought about.. I can get Pau Gasol for $24

Thoughts?

Those would be some solid keepers. I'm not completely sold on Villanueva, but the price is right and it's hard to find PFs who can hit threes.

Derrick Rose could blow up (even more than last year) so he could be well worth the money. J-Rich should hit a ton of threes as the Suns play more up tempo this season.

I would strongly consider Gasol if a lot of good big men are kept. There aren't many center eligible big men out there will all around good games like Gasol. Did Al Jefferson, Amare and Howard all get kept?

Jefferson was kept and so was Howard. Still waiting to find out from the last team of Stoudemire was kept or not.. Same with Durant and Bryant...After downloading ESPNs top picks this is what is left from the top guys..

Kevin Durant(Might be kept)

Kobe Bryant(might be kept)

Dewane Wade(might be kept)

Drik Nowitzki $32

Chris Bosh $32

Paul Gasol $24

Amare Staudimire(might be kept)

Steve Nash $27

Kevin Garnett $40

Tim Duncan $27

Jose Calderon(might be kept)

Kevin Martin $16

Vince Carter $26

Baron Davis $21

Josh Smith $20

Derrick Rose $13

Antwan Jamison $14

Andris Biedrins $8

Marcus Camby(might be kept)

Ben Gordon $11

Those are the top 50 that I have a chance at.. as I see a lot of the top guys unavailable I am pretty set on Pau, especially at $24.. Duncan might not be a bad pick, but I have to choose between him and Derrick Rose because they are on the same team to choose from which I can only choose one. And I think at this point Rose is the better deal. I can still try for duncan at the auction draft.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck! My draft is Sunday evening. I made a deal and have two picks in the first round (6 & 9). I'm thinking I'll end up with Kobe, Granger or Durant at #6. Still trying to decide who to target at 9.

Here are some late round guys you could probably get for $1 that could pay off:

Anthony Morrow (GS)

Roy Hibbert (IND)

Tyreke Evans (SAC)

Jason Thompson (SAC)

Brandon Jennings (MIL)

Chris Douglas Roberts (NJ)

DeJaun Blair (SA)

Jonny Flynn (MN)

D.J. Augustine (CHA), likely starting and might cost more than $1

Well, Not sure how well I did.. Having this been my first, in hind sight I might have done things a little different. But no re-do's right.. So here is what I got.

Martin, Kevin

Nelson, Jameer

Robinson, Nate

Rose, Derrick

Deng, Luol

Hill, Grant

Iguodala, Andre

Moon, Jamario

Turkoglu, Hedo

Villanueva, Charlie

Bargnani, Andrea

Gasol, Pau

McGrady, Tracy (yeah, I know he is hurt, got him for $4)

Bass, Brandon

Biedrins, Andris

Just finished the draft. Had first pick, ten team league, 14 rounds.

1. Chris Paul

20. Andre Iguadola

21. Joe Johnson

40. David Lee

41. Rajon Rondo

60. Al Harrington

61. Ben Gordon

80. Tyrus Thomas

81. Zach Randolph

100. Andrew Bogut

101. Allen Iverson

120. Rodney Stuckey

121. Louis Williams

140. Brandon Bass

Everybody loves their team. I guess we'll see what happens as we progress. I got nailed by injuries last year (E. Brand, M. Dunleavy, a couple other guys I can't remember) and that dropped me into the middle of the pack. This league is pretty deep; guys are using spreadsheets that track statistical catagories so they can dominate in specific areas. I think I got a good match overall, but you never know.

Nice team Chise. I really like Lee/Rondo picks in the 4th and 5th round. Those two went in the 2nd and 3rd in my draft last night to the same guy.

I ended trading picks with a guy and got his 1st, 3rd and 5th for my 2nd, 3rd and 5th. He moved down six picks to my second round pick and then gained 6 draft spots between the 3rd and 5th round. Here's who I got:

6. Kevin Durant

9. Deron Williams

29. Carmelo Anthony

35. Andris Biedrins

49. Troy Murphy

55. Andrew Bynum

66. Jameer Nelson

75. Jason Terry

86. Jason Richardson

95. Kevin Love

106. Allen Iverson

115. Aaron Brooks

126. Chris Kaman

Biedrins was probably a reach and I really didn't want Carmelo, but he was the obvious choice at that point.

my team in 12 team league on yahoo

1. (8) Kevin Durant

2. (17) Al Jefferson

3. (32) Gilbert Arenas

4. (41) Josh Smith

5. (56) Derrick Rose

6. (65) Andrea Bargnani

7. (80) Luis Scola

8. (89) Jason Terry

9. (104) Ronnie Brewer

10. (113) Peja Stojakovic

11. (128) Chris Andersen