• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pump or Auto?

Just wondering who shoots pump and who shoots autos? why do you shoot what you do? and brand

I shoot a Browning BPS 24" barrel w/ shadow grass camo, I started hunting with a pump and cant seem to bring myself to buy an auto because the BPS takes the abuse year after year!

Shoot a black nova pump. Like the reliability and being able to control loading the shells. Love durability of the gun. Only down side is the tendency to rust.

Been shooting the same remington pump that my dad bought me 30 years ago, hasnt let me down yet, even hits something once in a while

I've only ever shot pump shotguns (not including slug guns). Started that way because of the durability and because some of the autos jammed a lot back then, and because autos were too expensive for me.

I've been happy as can be with pumps.

Why not have them all?? smile

I've got my fiance convinced that no shotgun can cover all of the jobs.

"Honey, a shotgun is like a tool. I need a lot of tools to complete any task." LMAO

I have 4 pumps, 2 autos and an overunder. And I think I still could convince her I need another one!

I find myself bringing my max-4 Nova out lately for ducks and geese. Reliable as any pump and no worries about it rusting.

bought my first gun when i was seventeen,rem 1187 I put a slug barrel on about 10 yrs. ago it works great. my other bird guns autos sx2 also works great. i guess im pretty used to autos, o yea been using them for 34yrs now. The old scratched up 1187 has taken a pile of bucks, its starting to get kinda heavy though.

For the last 30 years I've shot nothing but pumps and O/U this year I traded in a couple of old rifles for a Winchester super x auto, absolutely amazing weapon I will never look back light, fast, very little recoil.

I shoot a semi-auto and that's all I've ever used (all of 10 yrs now). Nowadays I don't see any advantage of going with a pump over a semi-auto other than the price. Guns are built well enough that with at least a little cleaning they will not jam or misfire.

I shoot a rem 1100 semi-auto. I have had it since I bought it in 1974. It has never missed a day in the swamp yet.

I owned a couple of pumps and try them on ocassion but still like the autos lack of recoil, especially as I get older.

-Duckster

Browning Gold 3 inch atuo

stoger mod 2000 auto

870 remington

I shoot the atuo's because they fit me so well and because the fact that they are atuos but my 870 is probally the most favorite to shoot and I seem to hit the best with it.

I like my auto sx2 for waterfowl. For upland I use my o/u and deer i've just always used a pump that my dad lets me barrow.

I shoot an auto for waterfowl, and a side by side for upland.

Personally, when I first bought it I just wanted to try an auto as I had been shooting a pump previously. Now I wouldn't go back. Not only have I had no problems with my auto(most people's argument against them), I find that keep a more fluid swing and concentration when shooting an auto because I don't have to pump.

Hey elwood, what do you think of your Stoeger m2000? I'm on my second year of waterfowling with one and absolutely love it. Which one usually gets the pick between that and your browning gold?

its a tough choice but the stoger is defintly a sweet shooting gun I had problems with hitting ducks with both of the guns but I seem put the smack on the geese with the stoger. as for witch is a first choice I think it would be my browning gold but I havent spent a ton of time shooting the stoger yet.

I shoot a stoeger 2000 as well. Mine is in its third year, and think it is a great gun for a great price.

Benelli M2 for me. I had a Benelli M1 for 11 years and it jammed on me only once.(probably because it fell out of the boat and when I jumped out to get it, I landed on it and pushed it down into the mud.) Absolutely the best shotgun I could ever shoot. I've had Remington autos and a mossberg auto and neither can compare. I bought a Browning Gold 3 1/2" 12ga. about 5 years ago for geese. It shoots well but if it goes uncleaned it is basically a single shot when shooting 3 1/2" shells. My benelli gets cleaned once a year at the end of the season. Thats all it ever need.s

Both Auto, winchester super x2 and benelli Nova. I like them both because they have the option to go 3.5 inch and that can really plow a goose. bought a patternmaster for the winchester 2 years ago and now I use 4 shot for everything.

Benelli M1 and just bought the new Benelli Vinci. I'll only shoot autos from now on (although I'd like to get a nice over-under someday) and you could not pay me to shoot a gas-operated gun. Nothing wrong with pumps, just don't shoot them anymore.

added a browning 10ga bps today to the waterfowl collection.I will try it out in NoDak next week on geese cant wait..

Inherited a Win 1400(auto) when I started duck hunting, used and abused that gun for 10 years before the plastic throat collar stripped out, now I cant find that piece anymore and am probably missing a few others. Used a old Marlin Over under one year and liked it for upland but not so much for ducks. Last year bought a Win SX3 and am more than happy with it. Light, cycles shells smoothly, and little to no recoil. I'll stick to the auto's from now on.

Very true on the gas autos. I'd only buy one if I really like cleaning my gun after every hunt. I'm on my 6th box of shells this year and haven't thought about cleaning my stoeger yet.

Benelli M2 just got it this year so far love the gun

Benelli Nova shot this gun for ten years

Browning BPS 10 GA

and a winchester 1400 20ga for early season pheasants

I shoot a beretta pintail. 12 years old, inertia operated, extremely easy to take apart and clean. Awesome gun, never jammed on me even out in the dusty fields in nodak.

870 wingmaster and express synthetics, all pumps, mainly price, when cabela's opened in Roger's I got 2 synthetic black, 3 1/2 pumps for 279 a piece. As much field hunting and often times dirty conditions I like the pump and my 2 new pumps were half the price of a stud auto. I like auto's though, just not in my price range for how often they get used etc.

Benelli M2 and Benelli Nova. The Nova is now just my back up gun and I have need it. Love the M2. My buddy has the SBEII but ends up shooting 3" shells most of the time anyway. Both great guns.

Also, it might depend a bit on what u r used to already, I strayed 1 time and bought a Nova pump, really didn't like it a bit, sold it after 1 fall. Reasons though, I was used to the 870 and had trouble shouldering my nova because the stock is longer than an 870. I'm not a real long armed guy so the stock was catching my clothing etc and the pump part seemed like a longer reach and etc. Good gun, but not for me. I have 2 870 wingmasters from the early 80's, 1 express, and 2 synthetic black pumps 3 1/2" and those 5 pumps are still less money than 1 stud auto. Whatever you get practice with it a lot.

got the ole nova been a great gun, use it for a push pole a walking stick a goose bruiser and a duck crusher prolly a lil rustier than most guns out there but like they say if it aint broke dont fix it well I stand by that and it keeps tickin like a eco drive watch!

LOVE IT