• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

10 days to go...

OnAFly

We're coming into the best 8 months of the year for sports programming guys! grin

Anyone think the Columbus players will be out for revenge on Belanger for the hit on Chimera(preseason)?

Hopefully the ice is good by Oct 3rd, I heard they were having problems with the warm weather and soft ice.

I'm pumped. I missed the preseason hit on Chimera? Belanger is not much of a hitter so hopefully they don't get nasty on revenge. I'm surprised with all the modern technology put into the arena and ice that they couldn't control it? I'm not too worried about it. I'm certainly ready for the season!

I'm reading a lot about how the "new system" isn't coming along as quickly as expected. I hear a lot about how the guys are playing a cross between the new and old system during preseason games and then coming to Richards and saying they don't fully understand parts of the new system.

It's 5 days before the first game - anyone else getting a little worried about how the first half of this season is going to go? It seams like maybe Richards should have started a little earlier in installing a new style of play into players, many of whihc have only played in Lemaire's system.

I sure hope I'm wrong on this one.

I have a hard time every season getting ready for NHL hockey. Don't get me wrong, I love hockey. But in my opinion the season starts way too darn early (and ends too late). I know the economics of the game will never allow a change from occurring, but I would love to see the season start in November, and end in April or the beginning of May at the latest.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Baseball season then? whistle Only kiddin' with ya' man.

As for the new system. It's going to take a while to adjust to the new style of play. It really isn't an enormous difference in terms of adjustment as most have grown up learning this style of play. On the forecheck they will have 2 guys (sometimes 3) going for the puck as opposed to one guy going into the corners and the other forwards staying higher in the slot etc. Personally, I think this is how you play to win. We lacked the continuous offensive pressure the last few years and it's been made obvious that we can't win games solely on forwards scoring. Forwards can now dig in the corners to win those 50/50 pucks and the defense will have to stay a little tighter on the points which means a few more risks in pinching the zone. I think our defensemen are more than capable to step up into the play to contribute on offense (i.e. Burns, Zidlicky, Bergeron). Good forwards are a nice thing to have, but when you've got some power defensemen that also get involved on the rush and forecheck then your really cookin'. Any idea if the game tonight is televised?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Baseball season then? whistle Only kiddin' with ya' man.

I feel the same way about baseball. Too many games!!! wink

It will be an interesting year for the Wild. I don't think they have the right players to play Richards' style of game, especially for a full season. Although I can see Burns in line for a break out season.

I'm the exact opposite! But I guess I understand. It gets hard to watch the Stanley cup in June when the fishing trips start coming around wink

I actually like hockey better than baseball. But I do admit I have a hard time getting up for hockey when baseball is still going on.

Anyway, I see center as a continuing problem for the Wild. Who's our #2 guy? Sheps not ready yet. Bouchard is still not at 100%. Brodziak and Belanger may be in the mix at 2, 3, or 4.

Defense is our 2nd problem. I thought maybe they'd try to improve a little here in the offseason, but have yet to show that. I agree with JimBuck that some of these guys can carry into the zone effectively (though sadly Bergeron is no longer on team). These guys are going to be left a little more exposed with the new system and I'm unsure of how that will work.

Probably I'm just worried about stuff that will be fine. I do look forward to seeing our new offensive system!

Yeah, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they do the first couple of games. It seems like we have more depth that last year. We just need to stick with playing one system for an entire game. I do like the increase scoring potential they picked up (Sykora/Havlat). That will help a lot. Hopefully Shep has a better year than last.

If we get 20+ goal seasons out of Mikko, Bruno, Nolan, Sykora, and Havlat, we would be sittin pretty.

I for one am not sad at all that Marc-Andre (cough the puck up in front of our net) Bergeron isn't playing for us. He made Skoula look like Lidstrom, which apparently helped Skoula out as Pittsburgh picked him up the other day.

On another topic - who thinks Backstrom's save save percentage will go down significantly with the change in systems. He had all defense in front of him before (though with a lead they would sit back and let the other team go at it), now a lot of offense. Let's hope he keeps up his stellar numbers.

It's tough to say. Last game there were a decent amount of odd man rushes that were the result of Defense pinching at the blue line. I think some of these could be prevented if the weak side wing drops back to support the Defense but it's all going to take some time with the new system in place. I like the way we looked for most of the game and am really looking forward to home opener. Anyone else going?

Ha, I wish I were going. I'll be watching it from my cousins place as I just moved into a new house and the cable guy doesn't come until Saturday. I did, however, get tickets for the 2nd home game against the Avs. I'm really looking forward to that one. Time to break out the new Koivu jersey grin

Yeah, I think that's the whole deal with the D dropping in. The wing needs to cover, at least that's how we did it back in the day. But, with a new system, It will take time for that winger to look for stuff like that and start doing it.

Our break out looked a little rusty too. On wing going up the boards Lemaire style and the other up the middle Richards style and the center not getting into the play. It was a combo of two styles that just didn't work when it happened. They did have a few times where you could see the aggressive new style coming out and clicking. All in all they need to be better tonight to have a chance of keeping that unbeaten streak alive in home openers.

Good eye OnAFly. I agree. Breakouts were rather rusty. As for the game tonight, I completely forgot that Pronger was traded to Philly...I'm a big fan of Pronger and they are stacked this year. I'm hoping for Burns to step up on the forecheck and get a few points tonight. Should be a physical game atleast. With all the new players, gameplay etc. it's very strange watching the game and thinking this is still the Minnesota Wild. It will get even stranger seeing the new jerseys tonight! I'm digging the green. GO WILD!

I forgot about the new sweaters! I'm a little disappointed I just got a red jersey at the end of last year. If I would have waited another 9 months I could have gotten one of the new green ones. Oh well.

I for one am happy Pronger isn't in the West anymore. He seemed like one of the dirtier players in the NHL that for some reason never got long suspensions (kicking a guy and getting 2 games). Maybe it's just that he's always played for teams that I don't like, who knows. He is still an effective player and Philly is going to be good this year, along with Washington.

Tonight is going to be one good night for Minnesota sports!...just lie last night wink