• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Bow stand Log thread.

alwaysonthemove

Buck activity has come to a screaching hult not sure why maybe there locked up with does but on saturday I saw 7 does without fawns and no bucks on there tail. The area I hunt doesn't have the orange pressuring them and I can't figure where they went...poof gone.

mr

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mudslinger64

• 96trigger

• sticknstring

• Archerysniper

I saw on Saturday 10 does/fawns I think every single doe had a fawn but a few fawns running around solo don't know if kicked or mom shot. Did see one buck saturday night. Had nothing to do with the does. Sunday saw a button buck came into the stand around 1/1:15 bedded down 20 yds from me and layed there till I finally couldn't take the sitting and stood up to stretch and put on a hat to keep from getting chilled at 3:30. He got up and slowly walked away didn't run nothing. Don't know what was going on there.

We saw more wolves than deer up north over the weekend. One guy missed a buck with the rifle Sat morning and I passed on a doe at 15 yds with the bow. 4 wolves - they were howling their heads off Sat night. Unreal. Not many shots around the country.

Got this buck last friday morning. I planned on going gun hunting at Sherburne, but decided to go bow hunting instead. Shortly after 7:00 a.m., I glanced over my shoulder and saw him coming. I got him as he went through an opening on my left.

DSC00916.jpg

Saw a 135in 10pt with two does yesterday. He was all over her. Bow hunted last night, had 12 does and fawn in the field, not a buck until close to dark then had 3 scrubs follow a hot or close doe. The biggest a six point dogged her around, but when the other two got out to the field they ate and bumped a few does, but not a lot of intrest.

I'm going out tonight, will post a report when I am done. I can still shoot a doe in my lotto area, I'm going to try and take the first one that presents a shot. Not optimistic, but there were a ton of does early in teh season, but the firearms has them acting very nocturnal.

I headed out last night with the hopes of sticking a doe for the freezer. Its a friends land and he had seen a doe with a broken front left leg all fall. At about sunset she came hobbling right to me. It was painful watching her but at 15 yards i put a perfect shot on her. She went about 40 yards to a pinegrove and i heard her crash. The new mission eliminator did the job as well as the jackhammer heads i bought for this season. Complete perfect passthrough with gaping holes. Its the first deer i've taken with the bow in about 6 years. I usually end up putting the doe in the freezer with the gun.

How did the jakhammer perform? Interested in the entry and exit wound. Pass through or no? That's what I'm "trying" to use this year. Hopefully tomorrow I will get to see for myself.

Oops. Guess I should have kept reading after the word Jakhammer.

Congrats!

How did the jakhammer perform? Interested in the entry and exit wound. Pass through or no? That's what I'm "trying" to use this year. Hopefully tomorrow I will get to see for myself.

Oops. Guess I should have kept reading after the word Jakhammer.

Congrats!

Thanks koonie. Ya the holes were huge in that deer. Very impressed. I went to those after reading about 50 reviews on cabelas website in which all but 1 were 5 stars out of 5.

Went out Friday. Grunted in my first buck ever! 6 pointer came running in. Decent but most people in the area would have shot but nice grower uper

Hunted/scouted some new turf at Sherburne on Saturday. Had a bunch of turkeys come in but no deer. Burned up a lot of tread scouting and never kicked up a single deer. Talked to few other bowhunters and they it's been pretty quiet.

Talked to the rifle crew that just got back from the Crosslake area... 5 guys, 5 days of hunting, not one deer seen. I had plans to go up after Thanksgiving and do some bowhunting, now I'm torn. Might have to wait until snowfall.

Sat out for the first time tonight in about 6 weeks and man it feels good to be back. Got home from PA for work this weekend and did some quick scouting, put up cameras and hung a stand. Checked one of the cams this morning and sure enough I had a bruiser on there, too bad my buck tags filled but hopefully he will stick around for my dad to get with the smokepole. Tonight I sat in the area where I got pics of the buck and saw a doe and fawn run by and then following them was a buck. I grunted a few times for the heck of it and got him to come check it out to within 20 yards of me, I couldnt get a real good look at him but it looked like one of his main beams was snapped off and on the other side he was missing most of his points. Dont know what happened to him but he was walking fine and even made a scrape so I dont think he got hit by a car. Got the whole week off so hopefully I can fill my bonus tag by then.

Im planning on trying Sherburne or Sand Dunes tommorow. But now I dont know after reading your post sticknstring. Ha ha. Oh well, gonna give it a whirl anyways.

The sign is there but they really must be hunkering down tight in the swamps/willows until dark. I found some really good spots but it's going to take some time for the deer to settle down. Let us know how it goes, I'm looking forward to getting back in there. If you haven't looked yet, Bing Maps has birds eye available for all of Sherburne. Nice for scouting beforehand. Good luck.

Well I made it out to Sand Dunes today for the last 3 hours of light. Didnt see a single deer. I was setup in a wooded funnel between 2 swamps, it seemed like a good spot. I dont know if it was the foggy rainy weather or they are still spooked from gun season. I did get to see a couple deer carcasses that were "disposed of" out there though.

I've lost confidence in most or all my stands now and feel that I'm slipping into despirate mode and thinking about stocking deer with the high winds we had today. Not sure what others are seeing for buck activity but haven't seen a close deer in over 3 weeks or a buck for that matter.

mr

I went out this morning and got skunked. the only deer i seen was two does on the road at six this morning. I got a good bedding area on one side of me and a corn field on the other.?? frown

Hunting tommorow through Sunday evening up north of Mille Lacs. This weekend last year I was able to stick a doe, so hopefully this year will be just as lucky. I'll post a report when we get done.

i went out and pulled a couple of my stands today and saw all kinds of fresh deer tracks close to them.i stopped and checked a couple trail crossings on the road and at one of them not far from where i had a stand there was a set of tracks that were just huge the toes were about 3 1/2 inches long and spread wide.there were some other big tracks close by also,so there are still some big guys around my area.i didn't hear of any big ones shot by the gun hunters around there so hopefully its a good winter and next year comes fast.

Well I got permission to hunt a piece of property where i shot a buck out of last year, but the thing is, i could only hunt it today. So i went out for the last couple hours of shooting time and just my luck...the farmer starts tilling the other end of the field. So i thought "Okay, maybe he'll get the deer moving my way."

Well that soon changed when 2 guys walked into the field, both wearing no orange and carrying shotguns. They proceeded to lay down in the cut corn and start trying to call in geese flying over head. By then it was about 4:30, so i just decided my chance of seeing anything was already gone so i packed up and head in. And to make things worse, when i was lowering my bow down, the knot on the rope came un-tied and my bow fell about 10 feet to the dirt below my stand. Nothing broke but i will have to shoot it tomorrow to make sure the sights didn't move at all.

Went out this afternoon, seen one fawn. The part that blew my mind is, it had spots yet, not one or two, ALL over. Good luck to that little fella this winter.

wow might I ask what neck of the woods you were in? N-Ne-E-Se-S-Sw-W-Nw of lake crystal? Thanks

Man this morning was depressing. Didnt see any deer, some guy walking around at seven oclock, and to top it off somtime yesterday someone put a stand literally six feet behind mine. I could spit on them. Sure wonder what this dink was thinking. Give it another shot after some other seasons close.

wow might I ask what neck of the woods you were in? N-Ne-E-Se-S-Sw-W-Nw of lake crystal? Thanks

20 min. N , NW of lake crystal.

3 of us bowhunted Fri evening through Sunday pm in the Crosslake area and saw 4 deer total. Extremely slow. I had a doe & 2 fawns come in Saturday night and shot at the doe at 30 yds with about 7 or 8 minutes of shooting light left. The tracer nock looked perfect but turned off after the shot? I was in a new area with my climber and once I got down everything looked all different. I looked for blood & my arrow for a few minutes and found nothing It was plenty cold so I decided to wait for daylight.

Well as luck would have it, it snowed a dusting overnight. Wonderful. frown I searched from about 7:45 to 9:30am & still nothing. As the guys came to join the search, I decided to go for one more walk in opposite direction I thought the deer ran. I made it about 100 yds from my stand and saw the deer laying. Turned out I had hit her perfect through both lungs so we backtracked to find my arrow and easily followed blood through the snow back to the place I hit her and I found my arrow. We were probably 40-50 yds away from where I was sure I hit her and searching. That's the first time I've ran into something like that. Crazy.

Made it out twice this weekend in the S.E. metro. As i have said before, my buddy and i got into filming this year. My tags have already been filled so i was behind the camera. It didn't take long on Saturday at all. We literally got settled into the stand and 15 minutes later my buddy put an arrow through a nice 8 pt. Not quite P&Y but a nice buck at that. Easily 3.5 years old. So at that point we were both done for the season.

Next on the agenda was to get my wife a deer on film. It would be her first. We hit the woods on Sunday a.m. and planned on hunting until noon. At 9 a.m. we had a buck sneak in behind us, a big 9 pt. we call "Stud". Unfortunatley he had already picked us off as he was uphill from us and basically at eye level. I turned around just in time to confirm which buck it was and then he was gone. About an hour later we had a group of does pass by at about 80 yards. At the tail end of there little train was a great buck. A solid 10 point that will score around 145 or so. Unfortunately i could not call him off the does and they went on there merry way. That was about it but it was very encouraging to see some big boys on there feet still and even more encouraging to see one with some does. It's not over yet. We will be heading out again on Saturday a.m. and Sunday eve. (If needed) I will give a reprt after the hunt. Good luck to all who are still in the game.

It's easy to get turned around in a new area. I've always found if you climb back into your stand, you can then point your help in the right direction.