• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Bow stand Log thread.

alwaysonthemove

Lets start this thread on what everybody is seeing out there.

this morning I seen one solitary deer in the fog no telling what it was. about sunrise I seen a 8 point about 110 feeding on clover in front of me. also 1 skunk, and several coon rambling through at 730. lots of acorns dropping

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mudslinger64

• 96trigger

• sticknstring

• Archerysniper

Didnt see a thing this morning. Could only sit until 830 and I couldnt take the mosquitoes anymore, otherwise I woulda stuck it out a little longer. O well ill be back there again tonight.

Dropped uncle off spooked one out as I left him. It snuck in behind us. Went to my stand and heard two coons chattering as they walked away. Picked my uncle out he saw a flock of Crows and a hunter. Posted property and the guy came in and set up down from him. We'll see what happens later.

Wensday was a funny even for me. got out around 5:15 and as I come over the hill in bean field theres a nice ten ptr about 50 yards from my stand. Figures. Whats he doing out that early especially with the warmth. Later that evening mama and four cubs come strutting by. I wonder why she has so many cubs with her, maybe something happend to the other mama. some does and fawns later thats it.

Zero deer for me. I saw four coons and a owl sitting above me. O ya and someone walking by my other stand on private property ill have to head over there tmrw. Hopefully see something tmrw.

Saw a small 6 pointer and a yearling tonight. Im gonna try it again in the morning and then gotta work until friday, hopefully some cooler temps will help out for next weekend.

I saw one doe on the road driving in the car to my stand and one owl and 3 toms on the same road when I was leaving to go home.

I gotta say the thermocells do work, could not believe it.I had very little mosquit trouble. it sure was nice not to be eatin by them ! things.

no deer in the morning just turkeys and tonight something like 20 deer all doe's and fawn's I missed a doe at dark clean miss so that was good.

No deer for me either. Oh wait, I was either in an airport or a plane all of opening day.

Keep the logs rolling at least I can hunt through you guys until I get back home! smile

Tried my new ladder stand this morning. I saw a doe and a fork buck about 60 yards away watched them for a while then seen a few roosters. Although he was not a shooter it sure is nice seeing a buck while out there. one thing i dont like about the ladder stand is that if the wind blows to hard it kinda flex's and makes a few squeaks. other than that had a few close calls with some birds now its off to school for another week frown.

Acorns plopping all around me yesterday. Squirrels and chipmunks crashing about. Heard squirrels chattering and a red fox trotted by my stand. Had a doe just about to step out of cover at 15 yards, but she fed the other way. 4 deer came through just at dark last night. Hunting the Duluth city hunt this year. Some nice intact woods. Pileated buzzed me. Chickadees scrutinizing me.

tonight I seen 1 little fork feeding on some acorns underneath me. HE came by rather early 7 or so. Also observed 2 doe's and 2 fawns feeding in the alfalfa. the coon were back tonight I actually through an acorn at it and the darn thing ate it. LOL

Had a nice big doe come into my 15yd x 15yd plot in the woods but this ol' doe had my number almost right away. She pounded her feet and tried to smell me but couldn't. She grazed for a second and seemed to relax a little but eventually grew tired of trying to get me to move and ran off into the brush to watch me from there. Stood like a statue but minutes later she left blowing the whole way making sure no one else would come around.

Stinks getting busted first evening out!!

Nothing but squirrels and chipmunks for me. It was nice to get out but I think I'm going to wait to go out again when the weather cools a bit.

Sat morning 4 pheasants a cat and lots of tree rats

Sat eve 2 grouse and tree rats

sun morning heard the deer come buy in the dark a cat more pheasants

Sun eve 6 coons eating acorns passed a spike and took a 13 yard chip shot on a yearling doe she ran about a 40 half circle and crashed into a dead fall just got done skinning and deboneing and into the garage fridge,backstraps for dinner.

Had 5 turkeys about 10 yards,they moved out in tho one the uncut hay fields and a little 3point buck was standing there watching them and when they got close to the bauk he started sniffing the turkeys kinda funny to that and I lost count of deer we see it's a huge filed so 20 deer a night is not uncommon.

Rosemount area Vermillion Higlands,

saturday morning as we set up the ground blind saw a white tail up in the air bouncing away. 10 minutes later we heard movement as i looked up heard some crashing heading into the tall corn. Nothing else all day. went home early to watch the fight. Sunday Morning my brother saw a doe at around 60 yards nothing else going on...squirrels, crows, doves, ducks, geese, and skeeters

Saturday morning, got on stand at about 6:00 a.m., not 5 minutes later, I'm still getting situated and I hear gun shots (youth Duck opener?) on Womman Lake and then I hear Deer running my way. They stop about 30 yards from me and one is pounding the ground, snorting. This lasts about 10 minutes, then they amble down to the swamp to bed down.

At about 7:30 I hear something coming, look down to see a Pine Martin staring up at me. It runs into the swamp too.

At 8:30 I decide the Skeets have had enough of my blood for one morning and I go check on my buddy and his Son who are about 1/2 mile away. They are following a blood trail...One in the bag, a Doe.

Saturday night, I take my 7-yr. old son to the stand and we got chowed. He's miserable and fidgity and asking when we're going to leave. He also says--Boy the hunting shows we watch don't show you any of this boring waiting stuff--I laughed. How true.

Back on stand at 5:30 Sunday a.m. alone this time. All I hear is raining Acorns and a few birds. Then I hear the familiar putter of a Grouse behind me, so I turn and watch this guy cruising over logs and generally having a good time. It's fun to watch and helps pass the time.

Well, as I'm watching this Grouse, with my back turned from where I should be looking, I hear the stomp of a Deer and sure enough, I'm being stared at by a huge Doe and two fawns about 30 yards away. I turn my head slowly to see if I have any chance of turning around without alarming her any more and I see her head is turned, so I pivot around and see she's not looking at me, but she is working her way to my right, intently looking at me.

She gives me the opportunity to reach for my Bow and get it off the hanger, clip on my release and then she starts to blow the alarm and runs back into the woods with her fawns close behind.

I can realx, but then she comes back at me as fast as she leaves, stops, stomps her foot for about a minute, blows, runs, turns back and paces across this path 30 yards away. Now I'm sure I want to take her if I get a broadside shot. Her head is down, I draw and put the 30-yard pin on her boiler-room, release and the arrow goes into her lungs, nothing but fletching showing as she scrambles to re-gain her footing. The fawns bolt and the Doe piles about 30 yards away.

That was one of the most fun archery kills I've had. It lasted a long time and I got to test my patience and skill. Practice at 30 yards pays off huge.

We saw probably 20 Deer between the three of us this weekend and took 3 home. It was really fun despite the heat and bugs.

went last night for my first outing. Saw one coyote, 6-coon, seemed like a million squirrels and after all was done walking back to the truck I jumped deer at 3 different spots...oh well at least it was not up in my stand...lol

Went last night. Nothing to speak of. Few red squirles but that was it. After leaving my spot crusing around I saw a vehicle in a field with lights on...Well no one is supposed to be hunting there so I checked it out. Snuck up on him then cranked up my light. Here a guy "has permission" shot a 3 pointer. small little thing. Year half buck MAYBE 6" tines. made sure he tagged it legally so now he's off the property. Really sucks he had to shoot such a small buck on the 2nd night. Trying to do some QDM but sucks when other people don't follow through