• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Bow stand Log thread.

alwaysonthemove

Join the club..... Mine got used to me being gone all of the time, then we went and had two kids...so... I have to make the best of the time I have. I will hit it real hard from Halloween till gun opener.

I re-read your original post and did see you said more broadside, sorry about that. And good luck, I just talked to my brother in law that has about the same thing going on as you with a doe, he is returning in the morning with a friend, he is color blind of all things.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mudslinger64

• 96trigger

• sticknstring

• Archerysniper

I will try to get them posted tonight. I went fishing last night had no time. Wow are the walleyes fat this time of year.

well i went out to find my deer this morning.i got to the spot where i turned back last night and just a little ways past there i started to find blood he was headed into an alder swamp.i got to the edge and i could see what was left of him a pack of wolves got to him and ate every piece of meat from the carcass.he only went about 30 yards from where i turned back last night.i looked the carcass over and i hit him through the 3rd rib from the back about halfway down and i think it went through the liver.now i am kicking myself for not going back last night i am just sick,i have never lost a deer to wolves before.

Sorry to here wolves got your deer. mad At least you hit him good enough to put him down and backing out is still a good idea if in dought.

you made the right choice! It happens and it can't be helped. "when in doubt, back out!" If you wouldn't have you might have jumped it and the chances of finding him would have been slim. Did you take any pics of the wolves feast?

Had a buddy go out on saturday said he saw about 6 deer one doe broadside shocked he didn't shoot but he didn't want to track solo. So sunday after the vikings near death game we packed up and headed out. I didn't have ANY camo for the tree stand so I wanted to head to my groundblind. Got my trail camera taken care of us and we were cutting through taking the LONG way to get to the stands to play the wind right and just as we get near the ground blind I was hunting they were lifting the sugar beets. Both of our stands were withing shooting range of this field. So we decided to take down my ground blind and pack it up. We checked out my 244 pictures on the trail camera to notice 40 were of deer so we decided we would do some scouting for rifle. Went walking around spooked one up that was bedded never saw what it was and we moved the trail camera. My buddy has an office job so the 4 or 5 miles we walked was getting him. It was a nice day to be out in god's country taking in the sights and smells.

Anyone finding scrapes? I found one while walking all my miles and it was "Small" in my book. Anyone finding stuff?

I also think you did the right thing. It's amazing that they ate it to nothing. I guess you don't have to ever worrying about a lost deer going to waste in that area.

When you said the flag was up after the shot that concerned me, as most of the experiences I've had with that aren't good. I did hit a liver once though on a big fawn or small yearling & she literally went no more than 15 yards. I was concerned about the hit it looked back a little & she just walked off, but she was literally dead within seconds. Amazingly it was two steps into the brush & I couldn't see her from the stand.

I agree with all the others who say you did the right thing. It's always better to wait if you're unsure. You have no control over wolves and you just can't blame yourself for that.

you made the right choice! It happens and it can't be helped. "when in doubt, back out!" If you wouldn't have you might have jumped it and the chances of finding him would have been slim. Did you take any pics of the wolves feast?

i took 1 with my cell that was it.i am thinking it was a whole pack of them because all the tall grass around the deer was flatened and you could see where they drug it all over.i never did find the head and i saw some big tracks in the mud.i never thought there were wolves around this area just coyotes,this was definitely wolves that did this no doubt about it.

Went out last night and within 10 min of hunting i had a nice 8 pt and a spike standing under me kinda cool. The little spike actaully mounted the 8 pter for 3-5 min.(LIKE GOING TO TOWN ON HIM) has anybody ever seen that? but then they worked some trees and the 8pter left and a doe and fawn came in and that little guy was chasin them all around fun to see the rut get going. Now I just need a shooter to come in.

My son lost a nice little buck to wolves also. Same scenerio. We went back and found it cleaned to the bones. Funny thing is we went back the very next day ( as my youngest had set down his release and left it at the site ) and all sign had been completely wiped out! There wasn't a single bone left. The wolves had been back and finished what they started. At least it didn't go to waste. I guess wolves have to eat too.

I actually saw a deer this evening. Went out for the last 2 1/2 hours, and about 2 hours in had a little 5 point walk by 25 yards in front of me. It was good to see a deer while on stand again. I think if a deer that I am targeting takes the same trail their will be an opportunity to conceal drawing back, and hopefully a whistle will get the deer to stop momentarily.

went out this afternoon in the rain/snow and got a nice sized doe,brought her home skun her and she is doing a little aging in the garage.

didn't get home early enough last night so I drove over to one of the places I hunt. The corn is out of the field and man were there deer out there. There was 8 does and fawns in the one corner with 2 does out farther about 200yds, a doe and a fawn just across the road from where my stand sits, and 3 more just below my stand. Wish I could have been out in the stand...would have been fun with all those deer around. I think I am gonna give that spot about a week or so till I hunt it again to let everything rest.

thanks guys,i have to say i was a little leary releasing the arrow after what happened with the spiker and missing the other doe.but i got a good shot on her and she walked about 15 yards and tipped over.after i missed the doe the other day by shooting high i found out what happened,i think.i took my release apart to give it a good cleaning because it was getting crude around the bearings,it is a little goose release,when i put it back together i ended up putting it together a little longer than i was shooting with.it has 4 holes for length adjustment and i keep it in the number 3 hole but when i put it back together i had it in number 4 which gave me a shorter draw.i did notice when i drew i had a hard time anchoring and being able to see through the peep i had to lift my head a little which must have caused the bow to tip up resulting in hitting high.i was shooting it yesterday to check things out and i am right on at 20,30,40 yards,i can get 3 arrows to almost touch each other at those ranges.

Nice! That's the thing about bowhunting, you might stub a toe here and there but the best thing to do is keep truckin!

hoping to head out friday afternoon I have a few options of where to go let me know what you think all are public land

Vermillion higlands I havent been there in a week or two and dont know if someo of the corn is out or not I can only hunt there until the 31st and thats it

St Peter- area 169, 99 areas

stay in the local 601 area

Carlos Avery- havent been there at all this year

oh yeah I am not looking for monster bucks or anything just for some meat for the freezer so which of the areas i mentioned you think have the most deer, for a better possibility at a doe

I would hunt the land that you can ony hit until the 31st. Might as well use it while you can. I would not be optomistic about the corn being out, but right now, the deer are hitting it pretty heavy. If you can get on a trail leadiing to it, you will more than likely see something.

Told my dad yesterday to go hunt my stand in the evening. (He's been hunting hard in wisconsin and hasn't seen a deer this year.) I shot a big doe out of my stand two weeks ago. last night his bad luck broke, and he downed a very big body buck. The rack was very small and disportionate to the body. It came through a half hour to 45 min. before dark. They are movin more and more lately. location east central Mn.

despite the windy weather I saw three does last night. one was not spooky at all the other two where on edge the whole time. On my way back to the truck I had a Lost dog wonder up to me. Good thing he had some tags was able to locate the owner who was very happy to hear from me and brought him his dog.

was down in buffalo county the last three days saw tons of deer saw a 150 and a 170 and a few small bucks could get the 170 to stop he was chasing does and the 150 was to far, saw tons of scraps the rut is starting a littal the older does are starting to go into heat it will be rocking by the 31 if it stays cold and it would help if the leafs start falling off.

One doe this morning. Had around 4+ inches of snow in the area that will be gone by this afternoon, roads and weather were so crappy, I never made it out last night. Scrapes were already opened up when I got out there this morning. Some BIG prints in the muddy cornfield along with numerous doe prints. Still nocturnal. Waiting for the doors to blow off, should be soon.