• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Bow stand Log thread.

alwaysonthemove

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mudslinger64

• 96trigger

• sticknstring

• Archerysniper

After 5 seasons I finally was able to harvest a turkey. My kids 4 and 2 were able to help me carry it to the truck. I hunt mostly public land in sherburne county but do have a farm that lets me hunt. I decided to try my luck at a fall bird. I shot a hen at 30 yards in the morning. She walked right next to the stick I put out there to help with yardage. I would have liked a tom but of the 20 turkeys I see on the farm there is only one tom. I'll have to try for him in the spring. Later that evening I had 7 does in front of me. Bucks came out but too dark to shoot. Light sparring. Sat for an extra 45 minutes watching the show. I love fall. My daughter (4) said, "Dad I can't wait to hunt with you. I'll shoot them and you clean them. That's Gross!" I'd be honored too.

Congrats fish! The drought is over!!! cool

One lone doe again tonight. Thats two nights in a row that I had nice does standing broadside, easily shootable. No fawns in sight. Probably starting to shoo them away before the rut. Grunted in that little buck again tonight. He came in running. The little guys are looking for any early does that come in to estrus.

Saw 2 does and a 6 pointer this am, this evening had a button buck walk directly under my tree, I literally could have killed it by dropping a knife on it's spine. Or jumped on it. It was cool though cause it had not the slightest clue a potential predator was directly above it. Saw a turkey that came out of hiding less than 20 yards away when I started rattling, that was kinda un expected.

Thats funny Ac I hade the same thing last night. i thought he was a doe at first then i saw two little spikes. He came there and was sniffing the twigs i moved to climb the tree i thought for sure he would make me. Then he starts to eat them lol. He was in front of me for a while and he went up to a posted sign in front of me like one of those pictures you see somewhere with the deer looking at it like they can read it. Also had two forks come in front of me for a while and do a little sparing that was cool to see. Then a six point came out and pushed those little guys around for a bit then head to my tree as well. The thought crossed my mind cuz he couldnt have gave me a better chip shot at ten yards, but I know its just a matter of time before the biggins start to move. all in all it was a great night out there.

last night only seen one yote,moving to fast for a shot,

made some mock scrapes to see if any bucks will take over

i will look at it on tuesday on my day off.

one doe at about 80yds. she was the biggest doe ive seen in my 36yrs of deer hunting. I had a rooster walk by my stand just a crowing like mad, also scared the **** out of a pheasant hunter walking by my stand.I passed on a six night before 10yds. just strolled right by.

Last night made it out for the third sit this year. Only saw a fork while walking back to the farm, so I stopped and took a knee. The fork ended up walking within 27 yards while I was kneeling it the grass. Pretty cool.

I hunted alot this past week thursday I tried a new spot got out of my van unloaded my climbing sticks and stand and then realized I forgot my bow UGH!!!! load everything back up drive home put bow in van go back to woods. locate the tree I want to be in set up ladder sticks pull stand up drop stand down ladder sticks I think I hit every step pull stand up second time get stand hung get every thing ready to hunt not really expecting to see anything after the noise I had made but thought I would sit anyway and observe the edge of the corn and alfalfa. I looked at my watch and it was 5:38 turn to reach into my back pack for my water and see a doe coming rite at me I stand up wait for her to come into the open and let fly pass thru can see my arrow in the dirt as she bolted away watch her pile up 30 yds away decide I mite as well get down I still have enough lite to get her cleaned up and loaded up before cark walk over to her and look at my watch 5:58. didnt see any thing friday saturday I had a doe and fawn at 35yds when two yotes showed up for the party wanted to stick one of them but they stayed in the brush.

i sat all day in the stand i put up just off the road 6:20am until almost 7:00pm,i didn't see anything until 5:30pm when i saw a nice doe walking the woodline alongside the road heading towards the trail i am set up on about 50-60 yards in.i was watching her make her way to the trail when she stopped and was staring down the road.a few moments later a van with some bird hunters was coming,she jumped to the other side of the road and went in the trees.the van stopped for a couple minutes then left.so i am watching the trail where it meets the road hoping she would come back across,they usually will in a few minutes.i kept looking towards the road watching for her to come back and just happened to turn my head to look the other way down the trail when i see her coming at me through the trees and brush.she had crossed the road a little farther down from the trail and was just making her way back to where she wanted to be.she was coming in at a bad angle for a shot and did stop once for a few seconds at about 25 yards but she was almost facing me so i had to pass.that was the only deer i saw today.

mudslinger, not sure exactly how manyt stands you have, but you reference the one by the road alot, and it seems the deer sightings are going down. One word of advice, take it or leave it. Don't over hunt a stand. The deer will start to avoid it like the plague, you might already know this, and if you do, I don't mean to tell you what to do. I have 8 stand locations, I try to sit in them only once a week. It is painful because there is one stand right now that I know gives me the best chance of seeing deer. When the rut is full swing, I will break my own rules and hunt that stand more frequently, but this early, I will only hunt the ones I know hold deer more sparingly. The big bucks are going to start showing up where the does are soon. If the does start to avoid the stand, so will the bucks. Again, not to tell you what to do, just something to think about if you are over hunting one stand.

trigger,i just put this stand up a couple days ago.i have 4 stands up right now all within about a mile of each other.i will be sitting in another one tomorrow that is on the same road but about 1/2 mile away about 150 yards off the road,this is the one that i had the 10 pointer by last week.right now i am the only one hunting in this area other than bird hunters.

Great to hear it. I figured that you knew that, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. It won't be long now and the big guys will start showing their faces in broad daylight.

i could only hunt till 10:00 this morning,at 8:00 i had a doe standing broadside at 30 yards.i put the 30 yard pin right on her heart and squeezed it off,i don't know what happened but my arrow went just over the top of her shoulders and stuck in a tree at about 35 yards.she didn't know what happened she jumped then stopped and after a few minutes she started feeding on some leaves.she was not in one of my shooting lanes when i shot,it is kind of brushey there but she was in a spot that looked clear.i very well could have clipped a branch for it to shoot that high because at 30 yards i am dead on,she didn't jump the string and the string didn't hit my arm and when i shoot i cradle the bow between my thumb and index finger and let the wrist strap keep the bow from falling after i shoot.i am thinking a small branch that i couldn't see.heading back out in a couple hours i hope this monkey is off my back by then.....

well i got into my stand about 2:00 this afternoon and at 6:00 i had a spiker come through on a trail.he was pretty much broadside slightly quartering towards me at 25 yards,i stopped him and took the shot.i put my 20 yard pin about halfway up on the crease behind his front leg figuring the arrow would drop slightly and shot,it looked like he flinched when i released.i heard a dull thud when it hit i think i may have hit him back a little and had the arrow exit through the intestines.i found the arrow and it had a lot of blood and what looked like something that would be in the intestines plus some hair it also stunk.the arrow was laying on the ground pointing towards my stand so i am hoping it hit the ground while it was still in him and pulled out when he ran off.i looked for blood for about 30-40 yards and didn't find any so i backed out and will go look in the morning,i didn't want to push him so hopefully he will just lay down and expire in a short distance.when he ran off he had his tail high in the air not tucked down if that says anything.

MS

So far I think you've done everything right with tracking, those quatering toward you shots get ya alot dont they?

Good luck let us know, to me you got liver and guts no boiler room

He'll be dead in the AM

Well, good luck finding him, you did the right thing by backing out. The best policy though is to never take a quartering to shot, there is no way to hit the vitals and more often than not it's all guts, which appears to be your case. If you clipped liver, the deer will be dead by morning, however lots of times liver shots don't bleed real well, nor will gut shots...so good thing you backed out, daylight will help tremendously...and I'll be rootin for ya to find him come moring!

Oh yeah and post a pic, we love pics.

More than likely like everyone else has said you got a paunch shot you did the right thing backing out you probably wont have any blood trail but by backing out and not jumping him they will normally only go 100 yards and bed down in some thick stuff so stay home tonight don't get tempted to head back out let him sit and you will recover him in the morning, also don't head out right away you want good enough light so you can see if it jumps carry a very sharp knife and your bow you might have to finish it in the morning but it should be too stiff to move from it's bed.

I forgot to ask the blood on your arrow was it thick and pink or a darker watery color or a mixture of both.

the thing is he was more broadside than quartering towards me.it looked like a good shot for the heart,lungs thats why i took it,like i said it looked like he jumped the string not sure but i thought i saw him do it.i have been very tempted to head back out and try out a buddies blood light but have decided to wait until i can see.

I forgot to ask the blood on your arrow was it thick and pink or a darker watery color or a mixture of both.

it looked like it was sorta dark it was hard to tell on the carbon there was a lot on the arrow the vanes were covered plus some hair.it wasn't real bright thats for sure.

why would you shoot a spiker?

because i have 2 tags to fill and want meat for the freezer,i am also trying to be done by the weekend.

It dosen't matter what someone shoots every deer with archery equipment is a trophy each person has their own resons,they spend the time and money and enjoy the sport so don't start bashing someons because of the animals they choose to harvest until you start buying thier tags and paying for the time and money they invest into this sport.

Well I can tell you from one I shot 2 weeks ago it was quartering away and I hit back a littlle farther then I wanted it was liver on entry and the opposite lung on exit she made it 30 yards and piled up lots of blood on the arrow but I shot her in a pine grove and could not find a blood trail we ended up doing a half moon search pattern because I new were she went and stumbled on her 30 yards from point of impact.

Originally Posted By: Ishnala

because i have 2 tags to fill and want meat for the freezer,i am also trying to be done by the weekend.

Is the wife giving you a hard time about you spending more time with the tree than her,mine used too but has become more understanding.

Is the wife giving you a hard time about you spending more time with the tree than her,mine used too but has become more understanding.

ya she has been doing some complaining,that and i have some work i want to get done on my sled before the snow flies plus my garage needs to be gone through again....