• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Bow stand Log thread.

alwaysonthemove

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mudslinger64

• 96trigger

• sticknstring

• Archerysniper

you have no idea,

Oh yes, I have an idea, we ALL have an idea. Welcome to the brotherhood of the addiction!

Yup as if this site is not bad enough to have my collage profes yellin at me for being on my laptop From about mid september through the end of fall semester is all a blur smirk I try to plan my important class's around it.

Out tonight and nothing going on until 6:15, then a small spike buck came in to visit. Hopefully his daddy will come to visit next time.

same here. wasnt until my walk back to the truck i saw deer, and that was two tails bailing out of the corn into a finger of brush and rock piles. this morning was slow to, but holy cow has buck sign appeared in the last few days. does and fawns are still together, and buck know does aren't ready yet, at least i think so, because only small bucks have responded to rattling. but hey, at least something is working!

Quote:
but holy cow has buck sign appeared in the last few days

When that happens down here, I know that we are getting close. I am betting that this weekend when I hit the stand, the field edge will be all torn up.

yeah I literally can not wait till this weekend it should be going full tilt. bucks running everywhere. I have hunted this week for the last upteen years and it has always been intresting. Bucks running here bucks running there they come from all directions they just go bonkers.

Been catching the last hour of light many times the past few weeks. Only seen a few does and fawns but know one evening a good buck with walk that funnel. Last night he showed at the edge of the beans about 40 yards out with maybe 15 minutes of legal shooting. But by that time, the overcast sky and flat light it was hard to even see his main beams which wrapped around nicely in front of his head. Drew but couldn't see the color of the fiber optic pins so I waited til I could bring the bow down and did. Saw him exit the beans up the hill but the same direction he'd come from.

I'll see him again, usually they show up on the trail close to the fence giving me a 10 yard chip shot from my ground position.

Lots of time to hunt starting next week (see I Quit in BWCA threads.)

He won the first round in that flat light but the game is on!

Well last night was my night. I got done with my last class at 3 and grabbed the portable, climbing steps, my reezen, and was off some public land in SD located somewhere near my college (SDSU). me and my buddy scouted this area earlier and as of late have been seeing some good rut activity. I was set up and ready to go at 4:15. at 6:30 i watched a buck come out hit a scrape at 50 yards and proceed to walk my way. at 15 yards he stopped broadside and i watched my lighted nock enter him right were i was aiming and easily passed through as my arrow was burried in the dirt 6 inches. I seen him run 100 yards and enter some trees. I got down did some tracking and decided i needed some help. I got the Girlfriend to come help me and we tracked him for 300 yards which included crossing through a knee deep river as she had a smile on her face the whole way saying were gonna find him. Well we did and she helped drag it back through that creek the half mile back to the truck never complaining just smiling and laughing as we were both on cloud nine. By the time we got it back to the truck it was 10 and drove to her house which is an 1hour and 30 min and cleaned it. sorry not the perfect setting for pics but it was late and raining and we just wanted to get it all cleaned up. We finished at around 1:30 this morning but man was it worth it! To date this is my best buck and couldnt be happier im gonna get a european mount. Sorry for the lengthy post but the smile hasnt left my face yet and i cant thank my girlfriend enough. O by the way i was fully dressed in camo but took it all off cause it was soaked from the rain and the creek. 13946_1271420787131_1278210065_8134.jpg13946_1271420707129_1278210065_8134.jpg

It was your night indeed - heckuva buck! I'm surprised he made it as far as he did. Congratulations.

Yah, that was a big run for the shot it looks like you made!

And big deer! Congrats! grin

Oh, and I think you know you may have a keeper of a girlfriend on your hands to boot. wink

Wow I dont know which one I would rather have, that buck or a girlfriend that will help me drag out a deer! Awesome buck! Congrats!

It was a good night for hunting. BUT. First I Get a late start almost late enough I shouldn't have went but I was going to hunt some public close to home I get to the parking lot get all my stuff together and realize I forgot my back pack with all my tree steps so I have to sit on the ground no bug deal I decide. So I am sitting there glassing a bean field for 30min or so before seeing a buck across the field working his way along the edge. I watch him for 15 minutes doing his business hitting all the licking Branch's then cars on the road start driving by honking there horn at what I dint know there is know way they could see this buck I thought the honking would send him in a different direction but it doesn't so he finally turns to start walking up the fence line to me when what sounded like someone was shocking the heck out of this dog it yelped for at least 30 second. Which turns the buck into the trees behind me I could see him moving threw them I was waiting for a shot but then he winded me and ran back across the beans with no shot. Do you think he maybe back??

Great buck ther slopmaster! I think the girlfriend that tracked and dragged it with you is right up there as a keeper as well! Great story, you should be proud. Great shot placement as well, I too would never have thought the deer would travel that far. Good education for the rest of us on the boards. Congrats!

Tunrevir~

NICE BUCK Slopmaster!! Great job tag teaming with your girlfriend!

I my self went to the range close to home yesterday a.m. to practice a while, first time to the bale to retrieve my arrows I

looked behind the backstop and there stood a broken off 8pt. buck.

Thanks for all the replies guys i appreciate it! by the way my girlfriend shot her first deer this year with a bow a nice doe so she is a hunting fanatic no doubt and will be hooked forever. pretty much proved that to me last night. her father raised her right in my opinion and im glad she's been mine for the past 2 years.

Yep slopmaster you got her hooked I did the samething with my girlfiend back in 96 bought her her first bow got her into the woods and harvesting deer now we are married and the outdoor passion is still thier every fall. Preaty soon yours too will get excited and the smell of earth cover scent like mine.

Do you think he maybe back??

Too tough to tell. He might come back to that field but he'll likely avoid where he winded you. He wasn't spooked up till then. Either move or hope for different deer.

Good luck!

slopmaster,

Unbelievable story i loved it you told it with passion and it shows on your face. Nice arrow placement and sounds like you have a future hunting partner. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story. Congrats!!!

mr

not sure yet havent had him scored but when i take him to the taxidermist this weekend maybe well take some measurments. my estamite is gross in the low 120's, but i could be off.

Yep, might take a few days. A couple years ago I saw the same buck every five days. Arrowed him on the fifth sighting when he walked within 10 yards. Hang in there, keep still and the wind in your favor, then just be patient. Sounds like you hunt a spot similar to mine. If its not him it might be another!

Good luck

Went out tonight for a couple hours, saw three deer. Thought I was gonna get a shot at a nice doe but she hung up and then turned and walked out of range. Saw one off in the distance but just from the back and jumped three from some brush on the way out of the woods. Had a doe standing in my driveway when I got home. Gonna give it a go tomorrow morning and again tomorrow night and see what happens.

Tunrevir~

Great work and story slopmaster. I made it out tonight just after I got home from work. I switched over to the cold weather camo, strapped on my safety vest, grabbed my bow and release and was out the door. I had a walk about 300 yards down our gravel driveway to one of my stands about 40 yards into our woods which borders a township road and nice soybean field on the other side. The snow flakes were light but coming down like crazy and nice and wet. Climbed into stand about an hour before dark and battled the snow and very cold intermittent wind gusts for the next 45 minutes with no action in sight.

I started to think being out in this wind and cold is nuts when the first doe came out of the woods kitty corner from our's. Then another and another until about a dozen made their way out. They skirted the edge of the bean field near the road and our woods as I strategized the possible shots. They never did come in, though, and just kept feeding in the bean field about 50 yards away. I let it get very dark before I decided I needed to get down. I spent about five minutes lowering my bow and literally crawling down the tree at a snail's pace. Not sure they saw me coming down the tree because it was so dark, I was moving so slow and in the woods aways back. But they took off when I started moving on the ground. Could see their outlines bound away without blowing, which is good.

I walked back to the house and could barely feel my fingers which had gotten wet and cold in my gloves which I realized were the warm weather ones. Not smart. Got back to the house and recapped the night with my wife and kids, helping her put them to bed. No deer tonight but a great hunt and warm house and wonderful family to come home to. Doesn't get much better than that.

When you are hunting so close to the house if you have a very understanding spouse what I do is call the wife or text and tell her I am pinned in the tree and drive the truck out to spook the deer from the field this will keep them from picking your stand off and get you a ride home it has been very helpful to my hunting bag of tricks

This morning was a windy one in the stand. sat till around nine thirty with only two roosters spoted and zero deer. There is a lot more activity showing up and hopefully the wind will die and show me some more deer.

2 does 720 at 35 yards but no shot, came 3-4 minutes after a few soft grunts. 730 10 point comes in following the same trail, I grunt softly and he holds up in the brush and surveys the area, eventually comes out into an area where I can get a shot ans stops standing near some tall grass. 30 yard shot, I let fly and about 5 feet before the arrow reaches the deer twank, I see the arrow deflect low and under him, missed seeing the twig due to the tall grass. He takes 2 hops at the sound stands and looks around a bit and meanders off after the does. I nock another arrow and sit, 10 minutes later a 6 comes in following the same trail and stops in the same spot as the 10 then meanders off following the other three deer. I got down at 9 and found my arrow without any hair, blood or tallow on it, clean miss but I followed the deer trail out into the woods a ways just to make sure and there wasn't any hint of a hit. So now I am waiting to get back out in another area and try my luck. Good morning but not the desired result.

Tunrevir~