• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timjones

• Finlander

• sartellangler05

• pushbutton

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the tip. Good information. I was searching environmental impact of zebra mussels and never found any of these links. I still find it a bit strange that despite knowing about their presence

Talking to a coworker that lives on the lake, it has been frozen over since last Saturday morning. Cloudy skies and below freezing temps all week so I suspect it has been making ice. Whether it's "saf

Posted Images

firefish_12

there was 2 big walleyes in ON fromt he alex area this week

front cover had a 28 incher from an alex area lake and then the 12.5lber out of Osakis---talk about a piggie

Last time I was there it was like traveling on a four weeler rock climb! Did the rain and snow smooth the ice?

Yes and no. Depends on where you go. If someone drove around where you want to go before things refroze again it's pretty rough. They also had the snowmobile races this weekend so it kind of made a mess in some areas as it churned up the snow and slush and now it is refrozen in to a rough ride. Some of the areas that were rutted up before the storm got a little better but not smooth.

Fished 45 FOW on Sunday. Caught two 11" Crappies. I had fish down there for about and hour and half(around sunset), but they weren't biters. Tried all the stuff that worked last year. Next time I'll start trying other stuff.

MankatoFlyer

Hey Retired or Finlander,

Bought a pop up camper this fall and can't wait to start using it. I read about this lake in outdoor news every now and then, so I would like to take the wife and 2 year old up and go after some sun fish. I was wondering if you guys would recommend camping on the North side of the lake? I ask this because the resort pages that I keep checking on brag about being "out of the wind" or "blocked in 3 directions from wind" on Osakis. Wasn't sure if it gets that bad on the lake or not. My wife is kinda a fair weather fisherman, but at least I get her out!

I see there are a lot of resorts on the lake, just trying to make the best decision on where to stay that excepts campers..

PS. This is in regards to summer fishing and not ice fishing, just trying to get a jump on it.

Thanks,

Luke

[email protected]

Luke,

Well I believe you have heard some pretty good info. The big side of Osakis can get just a rough as any with the right winds. (we lost a few friends in the years cause of it) Being on the north side there are places you can get tucked in and be out of the wind. Plus, that's where you'll find more consistant fishing, specially sunfish!! Also, remember Osakis is 11 miles long so if you camp on the big lake you have a few miles to go to get out of the wind.

MankatoFlyer

Thanks joneshat.

Yeah that would be a long trek in a resort boat with a 15 horse motor on it! I'll defenitly look a little closer at the few resorts on the north side.

Fished 45 FOW on Sunday. Caught two 11" Crappies. I had fish down there for about and hour and half(around sunset), but they weren't biters. Tried all the stuff that worked last year. Next time I'll start trying other stuff.

I would recomment Buck Point. It is about the middle of the lake and still out of the wind. The big water really can get rough. My parents live in Schultz's bay and you can watch the boats turn around as they come around Battle Point.

North end would be the best bet. If it's windy you won't be going past Battle Point in a resort boat. Like SJL said, it can get rough. I have sat here and watched the bigger boats come flying down the lake from the north end and get into the big waves as they round Battle Point and really get pounded. Doesn't take long for most of them to turn around and head back. The north end is pretty well protected from the winds unless it happens to be blowing from the ENE. But even then there are a lot of areas to tuck in out of the wind. Lot more open south of Battle Point. I think the only place on the north end that has camper sites is Head of the Lakes Resort.

any reports on travel on the Big O with the recent snow?? Glenwood 11 plus inches of snow this past week???

Thanks

Travel is still doable with a wheeler. Just make sure you have chains on the back and stay out of the drifts.

What types of jigs are guys using with success on this lake?? Lots of lookers with few takers for me. I know this lake can be very finicky, but the payoff is worth it.

Thanks guys!

Fredd I fished Osakis 3 saturdays in a row and they are finicky.I went back and fourth shrimp and euro's on marmuska jigs.The biggest problem we had was trying to find them, they seem to be on go more than any lake I ever fished, just when you think you findem there gone.Ended up keeping about 10 fish each time out but they are nice. good luck

We were on fish all day last Monday but only kept about 15 between two guys. They would come up look and just sit there. When there was some competition, they were more willing. We settled in on #10 moon glows. Threw about 10 different jigs/colors at them. Only fished about 15 holes all day. We weren't able to get shrimp and wondered if that was the key. The fish are real nice when they do go.

We fished last Saturday from 11am-6pm and not even a bite. We went out from Head of the Lakes resort due to them having plowed roads out on the lake. We had lots of lookers on the vex but no takers. We tried euro larve, minnows, shimp and waxies.

• 3 weeks later...
crappiekid

Retired how going?

Kid here. Any insight on getting on the lake North or west side? Thinking of Friday run up. IS shoreline gone?????

Thanks

timjones

You can still get on but the way it is going I would think probably down to atv's by this weekend. The accesses are getting a little soft. There is a lot of standing water on the lake especially after the rains we got today. Even had a couple flashes of lighting and some thunder. I just had a thought. I wonder how safe it is standing in the water out in the middle of a lake with lightning? If the rain would let up and give things a chance to drain down a little it shouldn't be bad.

whitetail_freak

hows the bite been lately? are they still being tight lipped?

• 2 weeks later...
whitetail_freak

anyone been on osakis in the last few days? how is the ice? and will i be able to get out this weekend? thanks for any info!

timjones

Highly unlikely that you will be able to get on the ice this weekend in my opinion. Between the ice melting and the lake level coming up the gap between the shore and ice is getting pretty wide in some areas. I have about 20 feet of open water right now between my shore and the ice. Even if you could get on by this weekend it would be plenty risky out there. I would think the ice would be a no go by the weekend. I wouldn't recommend going, but it's your life, if you decide to try, be careful and don't go alone.

pushbutton

retired,

how much earlier than average ice out on the 20th do you think we will get this year? it has to bee ahead of last two years. does it compare to 2006 at all?

timjones

retired,

how much earlier than average ice out on the 20th do you think we will get this year? it has to bee ahead of last two years. does it compare to 2006 at all?

Hard to say for sure the way the weather has been. Two weeks ago I was thinking that a person could be running around on an ATV until at least the first week of April and than another one or two weeks of walking. Here it is two weeks latter, not even April yet, and I'm done. Last night we got down into the mid teens for lows but with the wind blowing it still melted a little during the night, never even crusted over at the shore. Now they are talking low to mid fifties for highs and low thirties for lows this weekend and windy. Then sixties next week. I would guess ice out will be around April 10 at the latest which is before the average of April 16. mad

timjones

I would say we may be ice free by this weekend. Most of the north end is open down to around Moon bar to Crow point and it is breaking up south of there with some areas open.

• Rick changed the title to Lake Osakis Fishing Reports

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Rick
      By Rick
      Congrats!
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Congrats everyone.
    • Schwarz04
      By Schwarz04
      Hello, new to this forum, was hoping someone out there who has experience ice fishing the St. Croix between Bayport MN and Hudson WI would be able to provide a rough ice report in terms of ice conditions, amount of foot traffic seen, numbers of people. Just looking to get a sense of how safe the ice is out there currently with the potential snow coming up this weekend. Was thinking of making the drive (about an hour) over, but not if its already sketchy.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  As the season progresses, anglers are following the walleyes, which in their typical winter pattern, are moving further from shore.  Walleyes and saugers being caught in 30-33 feet.  A mix of different size fish continue to be caught with sorting taking place to find the keepers.  Jigging with lures with a rattle or vibration has been effective in both catching and attracting fish.  Use a deadstick as your second line.  Normally a jig or plain hook with a live minnow under a bobber just off of the bottom will work well.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish as well as how fish are reacting to your presentation.  Some bait shops and resorts will rent units for the day.  Popular lure colors in the stained waters, gold, glow colors, and bright colors like pink.  Some trophy fish (over 28") and slot fish (19.5 - 28") continue to be caught. 
      On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some nice walleyes with mornings and evenings being best.  As ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water, we encourage guests who don't know the river to work through a resort for safety.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are three ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road is open!  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  
      Some nice walleyes and saugers being caught up at the Angle with perch, eelpout, pike and tullibees mixed in.  On structure, morning and evenings the best while picking at the fish throughout the day.  If fishing deep mud, better daytime bite. Ripping Raps or jigging spoons with a rattle tipped with a piece of minnow head or tail working well.  Plain hook with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics. 

• IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      As many of you have probably noticed  some  of the frequent posters FM regulars with tips reports pics etc have moved on or rarely log in post anymore.  🙁 I'm still in contact with many of them and we still share the ice together so there all healthy and things are going well. And trust me there's still a pile of fish getting caught among  the group! Sadly I have decided I won't be contributing as much either and will be moving on. In case anyone was wondering why I haven't been active.  It's just been to hard frustrating and time consuming to try and keep things moving forward, Yes I'm still fishing and hunting a bunch just as much as usall and putting plenty of fish topside.  But after thinking things out I  have decided to put my efforts else where. Was a tough decision as I have been here for mega years! Hopefully I have helped some of you out with some of my tips and knowledge,  maybe some of my reports let you become part of my adventures, maybe I gave you a laugh or two! 😀 Just wanted to say Thanks ! To all of you for being a big part of my life for many years. I 've learned alot here shared some laughs  and have made many friends over the years. And trust me I  have learned alot from all of you if not through fishing, through conversations, friendships etc. Hopefully I still run into a few of you out on the lake, if so please come over and say Hi! Hopefully you all keep things rolling as best as you can. Tight lines to everyone 😀
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      My wife just seen in Facebook that a vehicle went through on norway lake by willmar. Said it went through in the area of 189 st?? In about 10 ft of water.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Walleyes and saugers sliding into a bit deeper water with 26-30 feet being where most are fishingl  Good numbers of fish continue to be caught with a lot of sorting the future small fish in the system and choosing just the right ones for a fish fry.  Make some noise!  Jigging with lures with a rattle or vibration has been effective in both catching and attracting fish.  Use your second line, use as a deadstick, a jig or plain hook with a live minnow under a bobber set at 6 inches to a foot off of the bottom.  Electronics are helpful to show fish, how they are reacting to your presentation and when they are suspended.  Popular lure colors... gold, glow red, glow white, pink and green.  Nice numbers of walleyes over 28 inches caught this week. Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, big pike, tullibees, eelpout and even an occasional crappie or sturgeon being caught on Big Traverse Bay.
      On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some walleyes mornings and evenings. As ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water, we encourage guests who don't know the river to work through a resort for safety.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle is open.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road is open!  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air.
      Walleyes, saugers and jumbo perch with an occasional pike, eelpout, or tullibee in the mix up at the NW Angle.  22-27' has been the goto depth for most anglers.  No surprise, pink and gold have been hot colors, a LOW favorite with the stained waters.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  

• Remi
      By Remi
      I just won a ice castle fish house/rv edition and am wondering if anyone uses their flush toilets in them, and if so where do you dump at?  
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      I have been making trips for the past 16 years, but this last one was our worst ever.  Friend and I were up Thursday to Saturday. We started about 6 miles out on Thursday in 30fow. graphed very few fish, and the ones we did would not bite, we did manage to get one eye 26 1/2 inches and one keeper. So Friday we moved out past 7 miles on the outskirts of most others.  Luck did not change, stay pretty much the same as Thursday, did get one 20 inch eye. There were alot of houses but could not tell if anyone was catching anything. watch a couple of trucks try to cross over a pressure ridge. first one got hung up. the second one took a running start, look like both the truck and house caught air. turned out to be the funniest part of trip. anyone fair any better this past few days?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Good numbers of walleyes and saugers are being caught this week, but a lot of sorting as lots of small fish in the system  Most ice fishing is taking place between 23 - 31'.  Jigging one line on one line and using a bobber with a live minnow on the other is the goto strategy.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish coming through such as walleyes and tullibees.  Popular colors... gold, glow red, glow white, pink and orange.  Lures with a red light stick and rattle baits are also effective.  Some big walleyes over 28 inches caught this week. Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, big pike, tullibees, eelpout and even an occasional crappie being caught on Big Traverse Bay.
      On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some walleyes mornings and evenings. Ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water.  Work through a resort for safety.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road (opening end of week).  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air.
      Angle ice fishing continues to be very good with numbers of walleyes being caught.  Walleyes, saugers and jumbo perch with an occasional pike, eelpout, or tullibee in the mix this week.  Ice fishing taking place in 20-26'.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.