• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HMMMMMM Well I will try and stop by there tomorrow....I think I will try Minnewaska tomorrow morning and move on towards Alex as the day progresses.

Mycah if osakis is around 8 - 10 inches Smith is all of that. A much smaller and shallower lake. Your good to go with wheeler, probably not a truck yet....

Nice update retired!

Maybe Next week after Christmas day i will be up!

THANKS

the fish are always biting on smith....its usually a matter of how big the fish are that are biting. welcome to the fm mycah.

On the north end of Osakis yesterday...fish were pretty spooky however there is maybe 9 inches of ice on the north end so if you see a red explorer by an ice castle fish house about 100 yards from shore don't think the ice is safe for driving quite yet.

There was 10 inches in Schultz's bay where we were and the fish were biting. We caught about 10 walleyes, two northerns, and one nice perch on Saturday. They seemed to bite best in the morning and then after noon they would stop. Once it got dark we got two more nice walleyes. The DNR was out in full force. He was waiting for my Dad in the dark when he went to the house. The heater in the house broke so he was checking it a lot so someone probably thought that he was doing something illegal and it was a good thing that he wasnt. He was there as soon as my dad opened the door.

i doubt anyone called on you, jeff was probably watching with binoculars and witnessed your dads "strange" behavior himself. let this be a warning to anyone thinking about skirting the regulations, the co overseeing osakis takes his job quite seriously. i have been checked numerous times, even at 1 am.

I know Jeff thru the years and have respect for his methods of being a CO. Osakis needs a good protector of it's resource and I can't say nothing but good about him! There are too many people who think they can take all they want and don't care about anything but themselves. Osakis is a big lake that needs a top notch law enforcer and Jeff is doing a top notch job!

I have my house out there and feel better about it being there knowing someone is always watching.

Don't do anything wrong and he will respect you as a person as I have found out thru the years. I like him! smile

PS: My brother told me the walleyes and crappies are biting good right now!

I am glad the CO is out there too. I just want people to know that they are out there so they think twice before doing anything shady. The lake is on two counties also so we can see a sheriff from time to time too. He is out there a lot and it is good to know that if something happens he will be there in a hurry. Did anyone see the snowmobile on fire down on the south end? It was visible all the way on the north end.

I got first hand info on that!

My cousin who's dad lives by the outlet on Osakis has a spear house close by where the snownobile was on fire.

It was a new Polaris 600 owned by Head Of The Lakes Resort.

The owners son was driving it at that time. He said it looked like a tire fire going on whith all the black smoke.

My cousin took pictures of it with his cell phone, but he hasn't forwarded them ot me yet. Don't know what caused the fire. confused

I wish we had more CO's like Jeff around. Watching Reno and Minnewaska makes a guy sick, with all the violations over the last couple of years. If you go out in the morning and go out in the evening, you can only take your limit for one day and that is your possession limit. Have not been checked by a CO in 5 years and I fish alot.

Ditto on Jeff's performance! I have bumped into him often on Osakis as well as other local areas including Guerney of all places.

I can also tell you from personal experience that Jeff isn't the only CO you may encounter on Osakis. I was checked twice once with ten minutes by two different officers.

There's a couple of advantages to a CO being so visible. First, we know he's doing his best to protect what we cherish. Second, we know we're getting our money's worth.

Updated at: 12/30/2009 10:25 PM | KSAX.com

By: Anthony Kiekow

Print Story Email to a Friend

Man Climbs out of Window as Truck Goes Through the Ice

DOUGLAS CO., Minn - Just after 1 p.m. Tuesday Theron Bartos's pick-up truck went through the ice of Lake Reno.

"I was plowing the snow by my friend's ice house and the front of the truck just started sinking," said Bartos.

As the truck began to sink Bartos quickly climbed out of the back window and trailer of his truck to safety.

"I thought it was going to the bottom, so I jumped out quick. After I got out it stopped sinking" he said.

Bartos's truck was the second one to go through the ice at Lake Reno Tuesday.

The other truck went through just an hour earlier and took an ice house with it.

But Bartos does not blame the ice for the incidents.

"The ice has always been good, but the wet snow on top of it makes it weak," he said.

Either way Bartos says he will be more careful next time.

"I'll wait until the ice is a few feet thick before driving out on it."

The best thing this fella learned from his incedent was "The ice has always been good, but the wet snow on top of it makes it weak," he said. i have to add some people are dumber then a stick. I am so glad I live in Minnesota with some real winners.

Did my link not work for this story? If it didn't please let me know so I can figure out what I did wrong, thanks.

Fished the northern arm on Sat and Sun. Fishing was really slooooow! Only tried the 13-20ft range though. Too cold to move around too much. Slush has all been frozen and we were on 12-14 inches of ice, really rough out there though.

Heading up Thurs-Sunday to the BIG "O" . Looking for a ice report,bite report and hot color/lure so I can make sure I win the $ against my buddies. Any help would be great.

Good luck and drill straight!

I fished O yesterday. Tried a couple old spots on the north end in the afternon for bgills, didn't find any.

Moved out to the deep water 39' late afternoon. At sunset caught a 15" eye. 10 minutes later a 12" crappie. That was it. Pretty slow.

This was my first time on the ice this winter. I was planning on pulling my big house up to waska before christmas, but when the ice got thick enough to drive on, then the snow and cold hit. Now I have some business trips so I doubt I'll get the big house out this year.

I bought 90A in ottertail co. so thats where I spent most of my fall fishing time. I understand you know a thing or two about food plots so I want to make it over to talk to you.

First time? Wow! That sounds painful.

Bring an aerial photo of the 90A with the Township, Range and Section number and I can provide you with an aerial with a soils overlay...or just stop by. Glad to look it over for any additional program options and food plot strategies. We can look at my deer photos from my farm this past year as well. It was a fun fall, especially muzzle loading...got to look at 30 to 40 deer a night.

Fish On!

If your looking for some good crappie action try deep,we were in 54 feet the fish were about 15 feet off the bottom good bite til dark then they shut off.2 of us ended with 19 fish

Yep... I'm new to ice fishing and because of that picture, I'll suffer about a good 8 hrs this weekend on ice and come home with one of those "I tried" stories.

• The title was changed to Lake Osakis Fishing Reports