• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was out dragging the portable today in the area of Schultz Bay. Generally had 4 to 6 inches of ice. Came across one area that had a few inches of snow from drifting and that was only at 3 inches. There are portables out in a number of areas with a few small perms on Manthey's Bay on the north. Saw two four wheelers out today. After coming across that 3 inch area I'm going to leave the wheeler on shore for a couple more days.

How's the lake look as far as snow cover? Looked like Osakis was north of the heavier stuff, but not sure how much snow you ended up with.

There is about 1 to 3 inches in most areas. There are some spots that have been blown bare by the wind so it varies from place to place. I don't think I came across any area that was more than 3 inches though. You may find a few spots in amongst the rushes that may have drifted a little deeper.

Should be good to go from now on! The access by Holiday has 7" of ice according to my brother. He put his 7x10 permanent out yesterday!

Caught a 29" eye in Mantheys bay 2 winters ago. Good spot for early ice and all ice season!

Good Luck! grin

seen a 20" walleye landed, and a 30" pike speared yesterday....

i had one pike fly in right when i dropped my jig (tiny round head jig tipped with a little atom wedgie in white).i drilled the hole in about 3 FOW. i was just drilling random holes, and i figured i would try it anyway. the little guy scared the [PoorWordUsage] out of me... other than that, i have been out 3 times so far. and so far... im fish less... i wish i could find the vex =[

i was fishing anywhere from 2 to 4 inches of ice depend where i was on the lake

Our place is in Schultz's bay and we walked out a bit on Saturday. There would be 3 inches under the snow to 6 inches on bare ice. We decided to wait a few more days to go out. I also saw a few four wheelers out there by Buck Point. With the cold we are getting tonight and tomorrow, we should be fine to get out there this weekend.

Our place is in Schultz's bay

That's where I'm located. Found the same ice thicknesses Friday afternoon when I was out. There has been a lot of cracking and water coming up between shore and the outer edges of the rushes ever since it first froze up. Luckily with the temperatures we been having it refreezes quickly.

retired pls advise on thursday night, i am venturing up friday aft with 6x8 wheel house and wheeler. THANKS !

KID

I will be heading out this week again. My dad will be taking out his Ranger and wheeled spearing house on thursday. I think we should have enough ice now. I will meet him up there on Saturday. Retired, i think he will be setting up straight out from around where you are.

Anyone know of the ice thickness on Smith Lake? I don't want to drive there from St. Cloud and not be able to drive out on the lake with the fish house as I don't have a 4 wheeler yet.

retired pls advise on thursday night, i am venturing up friday aft with 6x8 wheel house and wheeler. THANKS !

KID

Been busy last couple of days so haven't been out. Had to take a trip down to the cities today. Hope to get out Wednesday or Thursday, may be both days, so I should be able to give you an update Thursday night.

I will be heading out this week again. My dad will be taking out his Ranger and wheeled spearing house on thursday. I think we should have enough ice now. I will meet him up there on Saturday. Retired, i think he will be setting up straight out from around where you are.

If your located where I think you are then your dad was out last night with the wheeler and the smaller of your two houses.

Yeah the sooner I know the thickness of the ice the better. It's kind of hard to go fishing when there is snow on the lakes and don't have a four wheeler, just makes lugging all that equipment very long and stressful. I will wait to hear updates, thanks.

Mycah, I would not drive on any of the area lakes now with a vehicle. On some of them I would be comfortable with my wheeler, but unless you know when they capped and if there were open areas for a couple of days I would stay off the lakes with a vehicle for now.

Wayne, Thanks..........I was kind of hoping for this deep cold spell to put some thickness to the ice so that maybe we can drive vehicles on the ice but it doesn't look like it lol.....

It would still be nice to know the actual thickness of the ice either today or tomorrow though so if anyone knows please share, thanks!!

He wont be up there until later today and might get out there today but yes, he does have two houses that look the same. He will either be out with a green ranger or have my 4 wheeler which is red.

Fished between Buck Point and Battle Point on Monday night. 9 inches of good ice. I don't know if the ice is the same everywhere, but thats what I was sitting on. There was a small Geo Tracker on the ice by his spear house. Kinda of crazy! There always has to be a first. No ice is safe.

Brian at the lumberyard said he heard that there is 12 inches of ice in town bay and they will be putting out the big houses this weekend.

My fishing buddy and I live about an hour and a half away and want to fish Osakis when you can drive on the ice. I wanted to start a thread to update ice thickness on the lake.

My fishing buddy and I live about an hour and a half away and want to fish Osakis when you can drive on the ice. I wanted to start a thread to update ice thickness on the lake.

Check out the post that is currently two down from this one titled "Osakis ice fishing". It has ice updates on there. I will probably be giving an update tomorrow night for Crappiekid and anyone else that is interested.

Fished between Buck Point and Battle Point on Monday night. 9 inches of good ice. I don't know if the ice is the same everywhere, but thats what I was sitting on. There was a small Geo Tracker on the ice by his spear house. Kinda of crazy! There always has to be a first. No ice is safe.

Ive seen that little tracker out on osakis a few times last year. I think it weighs less than some of the bigger atv's!!!!!

Retired thanks for your help but headed to a different lake this weekend. Thanks for all your help though!

Talk soon Crappiekid

Anyone out there that can help me out. I am planning on taking two of my collegues from work on an outing. I myself will be at LOW a couple of times and these guys don't want to make the drive from the cities. I fished Osakis a while back in the summer and did really well!!!! but never fished through the ice. Is it worth the trip? I contacted Head of the Lakes and they apparently have sleepers. Any comments on their shacks or how their homes have done in the past? Also if there is another lake in the area that may suit us better I would really appreciate!!!

8 inches of ice on Shultz's Bay and lots of 4 wheelers around. The Tracker has been out there for years and I know who that is if it is the right one. If he is out there you can be certain that there is enough ice. I havent used the Houses at Head of the Lakes, but we go there a lot in the summer. The owners are great people but cant advise on much more than that.

Snow depth on Osakis runs from 1 to 4 or 5 inches. Couple of drifts occasionally that may be another couple of inches.

Ice runs from 8 to 10 inches in the areas I have been in. As always, if you don't know how thick it is where you are going, check as you go. There is one spot I cross on my way out that is still only 6 inches. That's up from 3 inches last Friday.

Houses are out from Crow Point all the way up to Head of the Lakes. There are a few houses out part way onto the main lake. One is out on Half Mile. There are a few a little ways out from Two Mile Campground. Wheelers are running around everywhere except on the main part of the lake. Haven't seen anything out on some of the farther out bars like 4 mile, banana, etc. Seen the tracker out at his spear house several times. Also saw a small extended cab pickup pulling out a mid size wheel house this afternoon. Wasn't even checking as he went. The guys got a pair of big ones if you ask me.

Anyone know anything about the ice on Smith Lake?????

Sorry Mycah, can't help you. I haven't been over there yet and don't know of anyone that has.

• The title was changed to Lake Osakis Fishing Reports