• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trading or releasing T-Jack by Friday?

FISHINGURU

Good post Perchjerker, like when I posted about the early years the wideouts the vikes put on the field were pathetic, Joe Montana would have had a tough time having a good year.

james, stay out of my windows, I have watched most of sages games. There is nothing more then a glimmer of hope. You say he hasnt been given a shot, then why is he in the NFL? You don't think he is watched while he practices and how he reacts in games? I guess the coaches he has must not watch film......"The big eye in the sky don't lie" That is what my college football coach always said. And the BEST players WILL play.

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fishin58

• gr8icefishinmind

• LMITOUT

• FISHINGURU

the best players don't always get to play when the team they are on just paid a monster contract to another player that they think is their franchise player.

kinda like how you think junkson is the best qb on the team yet he stands no chance to beat out favre because of the 12 mill we just dropped on him along with the merchandise and ticket sales that go along with it.

Not necessarily. By all reports, Sage had played good enough in Houston to potentially earn a starting job. Houstons way of dealing with a q-back controversy was to simply, and finally, agree to send Sage to the Vikes. No more controversy. Since Schaub was given the huge contract, there was no way Sage was going to get the starting gig...period.

TJack may find himself being traded away for this same exact reason.

so everyone and there goat says or thinks we are going to beat cleveland. Say Bert throws 4 picks and we lose. Will it still be all honky dory?

(Please leave the Green/gold #4 sacrificial goat out of this)

If I had my way, we'd keep both Sage and Tjack, and try to slide Booty to the practice squad. (If somebody picks him up, so what?)

For the time we have invested in Tjack over the past couple of years, I (hate to admit this, but..) really don't want to see him go anywhere. He has shown glimpses of his potential. *Maybe* with another dozen games under his belt he'll turn into a consistent player. Then again, maybe not.

Whether he's 2nd or 3rd string this year, I don't care. Whether or not he beats out Sage next year for the starting job, (at this point) I don't care. However, what bothers me is the time we have invested in this kid will all be wasted if we trade him now. We put the work into him, we should reap the rewards (if there ever are any). Hopefully he'll settle for a reasonable contract next year.

Glad you are coming around wad, Bert must have borrowed his smelling salts to ya wink

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/

Simms: Vikings would win as many with T-Jack as with Brett Favre

NEW YORK -- Former NFL QB Phil Simms said Tuesday that the Vikings' long offseason pursuit of Brett Favre may turn out to be fruitless.

"I think the Vikings would have had just as good a record with Tarvaris Jackson at quarterback as they will with Brett Favre," Simms, now a CBS analyst, said at the network's preseason media briefing.

"A lot of people underplay Jackson," Simms said. "He played very well down the end of the season last year." Jackson, ousted as Vikings starter after an 0-2 start last year, returned to the role and led the team to a 2-2 finish (while throwing just one interception) that clinched the NFL North title.

Simms said he thinks the drama of adding a three-time MVP in Favre enticed the Vikings as it did the Jets last year. But he argued it wasn't necessarily the smartest move for either franchise.

"I kind of thought the same thing last year," he said. "You bring in a Brett Favre to the Jets because you're looking to win the playoff game. But when you look at the regular season, if the Jets (who finished 9-7) would have kept Chad Pennington I believe they would have won 10 games. But what good would that have done? Nothing. The people in New York and the press will never get over the hump unless we get another quarterback.

"But I just think Minnesota is a very talented team. And with the running back, Adrian Peterson, I believe Tarvaris Jackson was the quarterback who fits perfectly with that. Dynamic arm. Can run around and showed -- he's a young guy, that he was progressing at the end of last year."

I guess the HOF'er needs to study more film.

Favre has been annointed the starter...but T-Jack and Sage still have to battle for the #2 spot, and it will be important, because I don't think there is any way that Favre's shoulder makes it through the season. I think we will see the Favre of the second half of last year with the Jets.

Good point and to be honest I don't think we can blame all Favres poor play at the end of the last 4 seasons on his shoulder. So yes Jackson, Sage or Booty may have to step up. Lets hope they can do the job when called upon.

I can't say I have ever been this excited about a pre-season game as I am about this coming Monday nights game!

Go Vikings!

Glad you are coming around wad, Bert must have borrowed his smelling salts to ya wink

NEW YORK -- Former NFL QB Phil Simms said Tuesday that the Vikings' long offseason pursuit of Brett Favre may turn out to be fruitless.

"I think the Vikings would have had just as good a record with Tarvaris Jackson at quarterback as they will with Brett Favre," Simms, now a CBS analyst, said at the network's preseason media briefing....

Anything written by the media that starts with the two words "I think" should be considered total fiction.

Sports media is degrading into a intellectual category all its own, somewhere between afternoon soap operas and the gossip medias like the "Enquirer" magazine that sit in the checkout isle at the grocery store.

It would be nice if just one reporter would show some pride in their profession and JUST REPORT THE FACTS. Yeah, it'd be boring, but I'm sure they would have a (small but) loyal fan base!

Yep Wadinator, I feel the same about T-Jack. It is one thing to cut your loses, but it is another to just give away something.

Also the media thing seems to have more of an influence on what the public thinks, even when total speculation. Look at the Cris Carter and the Vike's playbook comments last week wink

LIMTOUT did put in a good twist though. If there is one thing I am on the side of, it is keeping things positive and as orderly as they can in the locker room. A divided locker room seems to be the norm for the Vike's the last couple years. I think is spells out failure on field in the end.

Like Pier said, Monday's game should be a good one for helping this debate on second string. Maybe the TJ deal also. The chances of Favre being here 2 seasons are slim to none and this game might predict who will start next year.

Boy, is football going or what grin Sucks though. Means summer is over frown

Not necessarily. By all reports, Sage had played good enough in Houston to potentially earn a starting job. Houstons way of dealing with a q-back controversy was to simply, and finally, agree to send Sage to the Vikes. No more controversy. Since Schaub was given the huge contract, there was no way Sage was going to get the starting gig...period.

TJack may find himself being traded away for this same exact reason.

Exactly....im pretty sure college coaches don't have to figure in who has the mega contract when deciding on a QB starter....

"I think the Vikings would have had just as good a record with Tarvaris Jackson at quarterback as they will with Brett Favre," Simms, now a CBS analyst, said at the network's preseason media briefing.

"A lot of people underplay Jackson," Simms said. "He played very well down the end of the season last year." Jackson, ousted as Vikings starter after an 0-2 start last year, returned to the role and led the team to a 2-2 finish (while throwing just one interception) that clinched the NFL North title.

Simms said he thinks the drama of adding a three-time MVP in Favre enticed the Vikings as it did the Jets last year. But he argued it wasn't necessarily the smartest move for either franchise.

"I kind of thought the same thing last year," he said. "You bring in a Brett Favre to the Jets because you're looking to win the playoff game. But when you look at the regular season, if the Jets (who finished 9-7) would have kept Chad Pennington I believe they would have won 10 games. But what good would that have done? Nothing. The people in New York and the press will never get over the hump unless we get another quarterback.

"But I just think Minnesota is a very talented team. And with the running back, Adrian Peterson, I believe Tarvaris Jackson was the quarterback who fits perfectly with that. Dynamic arm. Can run around and showed -- he's a young guy, that he was progressing at the end of last year."

For every 1 Phil Simms there are how many former players who feel just the opposite? Chris Carter, as mad as he was about how it went down, agreed that Favre most definately gives the purple a better shot at the big prize. This is the sentiment of most people by far. I mean, that magic combo of Jacksons dynamic arm and athleticism sure lent itself well in the playoffs last year. Progressing? Sure, but this isnt a 6-10 team that has time to wait around to see if he can finally be a decent QB. He may be progressing, but that doesnt mean he'll ever get there. He is not ready to lead a team into a deep playoff run, plain and simple.

would you guys rather get possibly a 5th or 6th round pick for tjunk or would you just rather him leave at the end of the season and we get nothing for him? junkson is gonna be lookin to get paid.

i don't see how monday nights game is gonna say anything about the 2nd string qb....favre is gonna play a half and the other 3 get to split a half amongst themselves.

If the move is to just get rid of him, I think the Vikes should keep TJack. He will prove to be a valuable commodity down the road. There is no way you can replace his experience within this system with a 5th/6th round pick. I still look for the Vikes to trade him and a pick for an experienced right tackle before the regular season starts.

Originally Posted By: james_walleye
A 9th year QB traded to a team for a 4th round pick. QB number two is 5 years younger and has a trade value of maybe a 6th or 7th rounder according to the general consensus. Speaks volumes about what the NFL thinks of the 2 QB's doesn't it?
It's all about the timing of the trades. No team wants to trade for a starting QB at this time. A 4th round pick for Sage isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Might want to think that one through a bit further.

Who is saying that the Vikings are trading a "Starting" QB. I don't believe I would start him on a high school team.

Originally Posted By: fishin58

For every 1 Phil Simms there are how many former players who feel just the opposite? Chris Carter, as mad as he was about how it went down, agreed that Favre most definately gives the purple a better shot at the big prize. This is the sentiment of most people by far. I mean, that magic combo of Jacksons dynamic arm and athleticism sure lent itself well in the playoffs last year. Progressing? Sure, but this isnt a 6-10 team that has time to wait around to see if he can finally be a decent QB. He may be progressing, but that doesnt mean he'll ever get there. He is not ready to lead a team into a deep playoff run, plain and simple.

Simms is a bit jealous of Favre, is what I get out of that. I've seen some former talented NFL QBs turned TV analysts that were very unbiased in their assessments of current QBs, but Simms never has struck me as being one of them.

Whether the drama and media microscope associated with Favre wherever he goes distracts the team and makes it more difficult for them to win than it would have been with TJ could be an interesting point, but it's already a moot one. You Vikes fans are going to have a strange brew of a season ahead of you.

I read this today and had to repost:

T-Jack Faction? Easy Chili fix. Pop in Eagles DVD, qtrs 2, 3, most of 4: 7-24, 85 yrds, 1 INT (for TD), 1 FUM.

don't forget about his whooping 117.2 yards per game last season ( 137.7) Y/G for his career despite having the luxary of having single coverage and 8 in the box most plays.

Lets boil it down to 1 play. Because it is really this simple. I have said this many times, our offense is designed to run first then get a PA pass or a rollout pass. Take last weeks game, Shiancoe drops that ball on third and eight. The Vikes kick a FG. Sound Familiar, remember the Indy game.

What happens from there, knee jerk reaction from the dumb fans, to boo YOUR QB at home. Knee jerk reaction from the top to bench YOUR QB to please the fans. TJ is man for this offense.

You can say what you want about our team but you have to know that is what our offense has been designed to do. Ball control on offense and defense. In the past 15 years how many teams have won the Suberbowl with this philosophy?

Sorry, if its not the 98 vikes or the late 90's Rams, but how did all that offense work out for us that year? Then even look at the perfect patriots, what happened to them?

it boils down to not being able to step up, not being able to make a pass when teams know your gonna pass...with junkson we can't even pass when teams think we are gonna run lol.

you set up play action so you can hit some deep bombs or get single coverage on the outside, which we get anyway when they have 8 in the box...but what does it matter when you set up the PA and the bootleg when you just throw it to your check down 90% of the time?

if the first and only player isn't open that junkson is lookin for it goes straight to the check down...we need someone that can scan the field and check all options....its hard to rack up any sort of passing yards when you throw it 3 yards everytime.

I see a lot of comments that continue to say, all you have to do is look at one game to know that T-Jack can't do the job. Luckily for most professional athletes, their careers aren't defined by just one game.

Eli Manning was never going to live up to his name just a couple years ago. Many people were writing him off as a bust. Lucky for him, he was given the opportunity to develop and improve. T-Jack has played in 25 games in his career. Compare what he did to Eli Manning in his first 25 games. Manning looked and played worse than T-Jack. People say that T-Jack can't hit a target. Manning was a 48% passer in his first year and a 52% passer in his second year. 25 games...the same number that T-Jack has played. Good thing for him and the Giants that they didn't write him off as a guy that would never be able to get it done. He had many of those "all you have to do is look at one game" moments. QBs take time to develop. They also need to be put in a position to succeed. Put them in a position to fail by not allowing them to make on the field decisions, what's going to happen?

Like I said in an earlier post. I sure hope Childress lets Favre make decisions on the field and not handicap him like he's done with T-Jack and most of the other QBs under his watch.

Aaron

Aaron,

You nailed right on the head. It was apparent, even with Ferottes experience, Childress kept too tight a reign on him and you could see with T Jack that Childress had no confidence in him what so ever.The result was a boring offense at best. Hopefully Chili will let Favre air it out a few times. In these days of 3 yard passes, aka the "west coast offense" and quarterbacks "managing games" aka play not to lose, maybe thats just what this team needs and it will provide a much more entertaining game to watch.

AWH, TR21 and Fish58 that makes to much sense and WE all must be mistaken on this....just ask Fishguru and Jim they'll tell ya!.. grin

Go Sage let's what you got when the pressure is on for your potential back-up roll!... smile

We saw what Jackson did in the 1st preseason game when the pressure was on. Pretty tight wasnt it...??

Spot on AWH, and if anybody has some time, look up the Tony Romo experiment. I have posted on this before(about Romo). I bet the Cboys are happy they didnt have to cut him!

i'm just waiting for these guys like fishin58 and pier to up and say this was all an april fools joke that snowballed out of control...cause you can't be serious!

I'm kind of waiting for that to. Like i said, that friend of mine called me the other night and told me flat out there is no way these guys are serious, that they have to just be playing devils advocate.

If your looking for a QB who can't throw against 8 and 9 man fronts, who can only read 1/3 of the field, and who hesitates on half of his throws because he doesnt see anything clearly, than Jackson is your man. Certainly someone i would want to lead a playoff caliber team....

The Cowboys were in the Cutler talks as well...Romo almost didn't make it through this past off-season a Cowboy. Reason: NO LEADERSHIP SKILLS.

So what part of the field was your precious Sage looking at when he threw 10 interceptions to only 6 tds....I'll hang up and listen, because this ought to be good.

Maybe he should have watched more film....ahahahahahahahaahaha