• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WOW mad

I can't believe they put up a T.V. tower on the south west shore of Frazer bay, they must of just flipped the lights on today, very anoying white strobes during the day and very bright redlights at night.

Whats next? cry

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• delcecchi

• shamrock7

• SledNeck

• Cliff Wagenbach

It's the same story everywhere you go. People head north chasing the dream. But they are reluctant to leave behind the modern conveniences in their quest for the perfect natural setting, so as soon as enough cell customers raise enough of a clamor, up go the towers. And when you're supposed to be getting away from it all, the office can reach you most anywhere on V.

Sucks, eh? Well, a person COULD turn off the cell phone, but today's outdoorspeople seem to be as glued to technology as they are to nature. How can that be? Hmmmmm.

It's only a sort of poetic justice that towers are going up around Tower. gringringrin

I've never gotten cell service past Virginia - which I cherish. It was the perfect work excuse until a client mentioned to my boss during a business meeting that he got service on Vermilion.

I can understand folks who live full time in the area wanting to have good service. They are just conflicting desires from some of us. I guess I'll have to sell and then buy a cabin further away from cell service!

Nothing wrong with being connected while outdoors, Vermilion reminds me more of a busy urban area than nature anyways!

I checked...cell phones, blackberries, laptops, etc...all have OFF buttons. We don't need to have them on...but from a safety side...it might be good to have better coverage.

So what about the people that live up there? Shouldn't they be allowed the technology?

While it might seem like a summer getaway to some, there are a lot of people that live and work there.

Ever try to conduct business without communication?

I listen to games and check scores on my phone also. Great for checking the weather radar too. Gotta have the phone on the lake(s)!

It's the same story everywhere you go. People head north chasing the dream. But they are reluctant to leave behind the modern conveniences in their quest for the perfect natural setting, so as soon as enough cell customers raise enough of a clamor, up go the towers. And when you're supposed to be getting away from it all, the office can reach you most anywhere on V.

Isle Royale and most of the border waters of the BW have no cell reception yet, kind of nice.

Steve

Quote:
Sucks, eh? Well, a person COULD turn off the cell phone, but today's outdoorspeople seem to be as glued to technology as they are to nature. How can that be? Hmmmmm.

Quite the quandary, a person goes to the lake to get a away and relax, but with today's "always need to be connected" obsession no one is really willing to turn the dang phones, blackberries, Iphones, etc off. I am the same, I sorta feel guilty when I shut if off and no one can get a hold of me. But there are a few places we go where the dang things don't work(don't feel guilty if if there is no service), but that is shrinking all the time. Couple times I was out fishing with the brother in law(on vacation) and the phone goes off and it is work, I won't repeat what he has to say of that kind of stuff, let's just say it has something to do with the power button or blub, blub, blub for the phone wink

Well, if everyone complains, then I think it's just another contributing factor to all the schools being in trouble and so many out of a job up there. Wireless communications are essential for commerce these days not to mention other types of "ugly" expansion.

While it might not be as nice as looking at nothing at all, like Casey said, it's a necessary evil.

I mean I can live with out some of these things for a week up there when I'm up visiting or on vacation, but the people who are full time residents deserve some up to date technology....dont' you think?

I don't live quite that far up north, but in my line of work I can see how easily they can seem to be a "necessity".

I personally don't have a cell phone. Everyone looks at me like I'm nuts when I say it, but I'm glad I don't have one. Now, if I owned one, it would probably feel weird not having it on me.

So do we have confirmation? Is it a cell tower, and if so, when is it going to be operational so we all will get better cell coverage. Finally, how long before my boss finds out?

You'll be glad you had cell coverage when you or your partner have a medical emergency. If they bother your experience turn them off or leave them on shore. ..... Jeez

So do we have confirmation? Is it a cell tower, and if so, when is it going to be operational so we all will get better cell coverage. Finally, how long before my boss finds out?

there already is pretty good cell coverage in the area

there already is pretty good cell coverage in the area

My thoughts too. A cell tower could be used in many other areas around the lake.

This thread has gotten sidetracked. This isn't about the need for improved cell sevice and I think you've all missed Ponzi's point. It's obvious his anger is focused on the Frasier Bay location of this tower and the obnoxious lights / strobes that take away from the natural shoreline beauty of this area. I share in his anger. Was this the only viable location for this tower? Were all the options explored? What ruling local Gov't body authorized its construction in this location? I'd really like to know the answers to these questions!

Anybody care to share?

Don't it always seem to go

That you don't know what you got till it's gone

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot!

Stizo

This thread has gotten sidetracked. This isn't about the need for improved cell sevice and I think you've all missed Ponzi's point. It's obvious his anger is focused on the Frasier Bay location of this tower and the obnoxious lights / strobes that take away from the natural shoreline beauty of this area. I share in his anger. Was this the only viable location for this tower? Were all the options explored? What ruling local Gov't body authorized its construction in this location? I'd really like to know the answers to these questions!

Anybody care to share?

Don't it always seem to go

That you don't know what you got till it's gone

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot!

Stizo

Your questions can be answered by whichever local jurisdiction was in charge of permitting the tower. City of Tower? St. Louis County? Township?

As for location, it doesn't do much good to put a cell phone tower in a location that's not as wide open as possible.

And the more and more development Lake Vermilion gets, the more you're going to see this type of thing. It is to be expected. We've seen this play out in many lake communities in Minnesota over past decades, mostly a creeping toward the north. It's taken this long at the Big V because it's so far northeast, but has already happened in Bemidji, around Mille Lacs, Lake of the Woods and many other places in Minnesota.

People from urban areas dream of the lakes up here and want a piece of that lifestyle. It's only natural. The more who retire around formerly wild lakes, or who buy vacation homes and occupy them, the more changes they force upon the landscape by their very presence. After some years of this influx, the original character of the lake they've populate has changed so much that some of them, discontented with all the development, move on to yet more remote areas, and those who populate the lake developments over the very long haul, after they've been developed, tend to be those who enjoy that mix of convenience.

But it's never a smooth process. Thousands and thousands of humans are involved, so there's always going to be argument, as the conflicting desires of all of us lead to clashes.

My father bought a home on a small lake near Bemidji over 25 years ago, before the areas was so heavily developed. I loved going there the first 10 or 15 years, but in the last 10-12 years it's starting to look like suburban Twin Cities land around many of those Bemidji area lakes. When I go there now, I fish less and hike in the woods less and feel less relaxed, because of all the development, but it is the family locus for a bunch of people flung all across the U.S. (and soon in Europe). So while the land has changed around us at the cabin over time, the reason for my desire to be at the cabin has changed as well.

And now there's a big tract of land at the end of the gravel road our lake home is on that's up for sale. It has been undeveloped and housed eagle nests for years, but the old lady that kept it died, and her son put it on the market. A developer wants to come in and buy it up and subdivide and put up lakeshore condos. That would require the developer to widen the whole road, and he'd have to pay mundo damages to all the landowners between the county highway and the building site. Because those of us who live along the road and are part of the road association don't want our relative peace and quiet disturbed by such a development, we are fighting it, and for various reasons likely will win.

I'm not trying in any way to make light of anyone's anger of a cell tower marring a landscape they've come to appreciate. As you see from my own development story, I believe almost all of us who cherish this lifestyle believe there should be limits on lake development. I'm simply giving perspective about a process I've been watching for a long time, and it's worth pointing out that no single person owns the view of a landscape.

And as noted, those who live here deserve (and may need) the same communication abilities as those in urban areas. As a photographer who transmits digital images via e-mail or FTP sites, for example, I could not make my living up here without high-speed Internet access. Shouldn't I be allowed to do that? I also have to be in touch with my clients, and cell phones are now our only phones in my and my wife's businesses. Shouldn't we get good coverage?

Good post Steve. I'm one of those who comes up once a year for my little time in heaven and I hope to finally end up there. Truth is its happening all over, lakes in Tennesee, Kentucky, Missouri. Theres only a finite amount of heavens left unfortunatly.

I will say this, I use to have more a more liberal thinking about usage of modern day things in the BWCA (motors and such). But I’ve backed off a bit on that. It’s nice to know that a special spot such as that will always be there as I remembered and if I really want to get away from it all, it’s there for me to use. If you stifle expansion in other places where it’s legal, sooner or later it will catch up and I think some of that has happened in certain regions of the state.

I still think there are some things that are borderline, such as electric ice augers, and foot powered kayaks that should be allowed, and they are not.

How’s that for a sidetrack……sorry frown

Basically my point is that there is never a “good” location for a cell tower.

I will say this, I use to have more a more liberal thinking about usage of modern day things in the BWCA (motors and such). But I’ve backed off a bit on that. It’s nice to know that a special spot such as that will always be there as I remembered and if I really want to get away from it all, it’s there for me to use.

well unlike Voyaguers nat park, The BWCA isnt there for all of us to use. Its there for a limited amount of people that can get the permits.

Even if the tower is put right near you, isn't there a way for them to make the lights less obnoxious? I thought that was the original poster's main problem with it??

FAA laws require lights on towers over a certain height. I used to put up cell towers and their placement is based on best performance to cover said area. While it may be annoying my guess is it's there by demand. I'll be on V next week and could care less if my cell works or not. But glad I'll have internet.

It is a necessity nowdays dont worry its only the beginning ,there will be more going up . Just hope you own some ground that will work for one, they pay well, 900 to 1200 a month theyll pay for rent ,at least here in northwest Illinois.