• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thieves Strike in the Night!

They hit my son's truck on Friday night at our home in Forest Lake. In addition to his wallet and I-Pod, they got his bow/bow case/arrows (Parker Buckshot) and his Nikon Rangefinder (also in the bow case).

Poor guy is just heartsick. He had his bow all dialed in and ready for the deer season.

I know how he is feeling right now. About the only thing you can do is report it to the local authorities with great detail so they can put in their database of stolen goods and hope to god they try to pawn it and the pawn shop checks whatever list it is for stolen goods. (along with letting individuals know here online)

I had my truck broken into last year and had some stuff stolen out of it along with some of my other neighbors. Insurance covered some but not all of it due to the deductible. After a few months when I started to forget about it, I got a call from the wright county sheriff's department asking me to describe some of the items in detail. The individuals tried to pawn in Western Wisconsin and got nailed.

It was the greatest news I had received in a while since I got my stuff back and the little punks got caught!

Hopefully luck in on your son's side. No vehicles are safe with anything in them anymore or anywhere.

That is too bad... Does he need to borrow a bow for the year? I don't think I'll be able to get out and have a decent bow (Draw length 29"). Shoot me an email if he's interested. [email protected]

Thank you so much for the offer Nate! The kindness and generosity of folks on this Board is simply outstanding.

Jr. is bow shopping right now - and is going to up-size a bit. The Buckshot he lost is a highly adjustable youth bow, and while he wanted to wring another year out of it, it looks like someone made his mind up for him. As a Life Member of the NRA, he has some theft insurance, and the folks at the NRA sent him a claims packet which we will need to fill out.

A word to everyone who reads this post - WRITE DOWN ALL OF YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS! We neglected to write down all of the serial numbers, and that is going to make our odds of ever recovering things much more difficult.

Glad to hear that he is getting some support from insurance and he will not have to miss the season because of the theft.

Good point on the serial #'s!

I am sorry to hear that he got hit. Really sucks especially when you are planning a hunting trip or fishing. I agree with the post about writing down the serial numbers. I have actually taken pictures of all weapons and a picture of the serial number and put it in my data base. Keep a copy on a jumpdrive in the safe and another for back up to it. While loosing your equipment is bad enough, I would hate for someone to commit a crime and have the number come back to my weapon. Can never be too safe i guess.

I like to take digital pictures of all my equipment along with a picture of the serial number so there is no doubt. I have also done this with the art work I have in my house so IF there is ever a need I have proof. Sorry about the loss and I hope the new bow works out for him.

These types of crimes are on the RISE throughout east central minnesota..

help out your local coppers and keep your eyes peeled. Call in any suspicious activity. You never know... it can make a difference.

I have taken a video of all the major items of value in my home, along with documenting serial #'s. The video is kept in a safety deposit box. The document I emailed to myself. That way I can access it from ANY computer that has the internet.

You can also take pictures of the items and serial numbers and keep them in your on-line photo sharing site.

This helps for theft, fires, natural disasters, etc.

You can also take pictures of the items and serial numbers and keep them in your on-line photo sharing site.

This helps for theft, fires, natural disasters, etc.

That's a great idea Merkman. Now I have a project to do this weekend grin

• 2 weeks later...

That stinks Rob. I recall having my truck broke into when I was younger, they got tools and steroe stuff. Makes a young guy mad as heck. I hope they find the punks. also teaches not to leave valueables in vehicles. Tough lesson, been there...

Regarding keeping photos and info safe should this ever happen... I started using a free online backup service. Backups up selected files or folders, with a 2 gig limit. Does it automatically and works pretty slick. I won't post the name, in case it breaks policy, but for anyone interested do a serach and read reviews - it is the one that comes up on top for the "free" personal use with a 2 gig limit smile I have not found a catch yet.

2 gigs doesn't do much for photos, but for tax files, word docs, spreadsheets, etc. it works great. Good encryption as well.