• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Monticello/Otsego Smalliie Fishing Reports

DuckBlind

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TunaCan

• fishface

• DuckBlind

• Dylan33

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody been out lately? How's the fishing been? I didn't see too many people out fishing on Saturday when I drove by Ellison Park. I'm hoping to get out again soon.

Bass and northerns are closed now so I would guess there's not too many people fishing the river any more.

Bass and northerns are closed now so I would guess there's not too many people fishing the river any more.

You are probably right. I can't help but wonder what species the people fishing out there right now are targeting.

Quote:
I can't help but wonder what species the people fishing out there right now are targeting.

Smallies er I mean small crappies wink

• 1 month later...

Got out for some catfishing this morning. Fishing was slow on cut sucker with two cats (6 and 4 lbs) in a couple hours. Water is very low for my normal spring shore fishing spots. I have not been successful in figuring out how to shore fish cats when the water is low. I think they tend to be more scattered during the day and have more of a concentrated evening bite. I rarely fish in the evenings so tend to struggle in low water conditions.

Any advice or suggestions from some of the more experienced river anglers would be greatly appreciated.

I've been struggling to get any good catfish this year myself, so I wish I could help you. If you want to catch some eel pout, however, I know a secret spot that I might be willing to share. smile

full-31537-19601-4_18_12catfishlimit.jpg

Caught a limit in two hours of shore fishing in the Elk River/Otsego area (9:30-11:30 AM). 5, 6, 7.5, 8, and 8.5 lb fish. Was using cut sucker. Water was up at least a foot from recent rain and there was more current which seems to help me a lot. Fish were not particularly aggressive...not sure I would ever call a catfish bite "subtle," but this was close.

• 1 month later...

Anybody have any luck this weekend? Tried for a couple hours in Monticello and didn't even get a bite.

Slow - caught 3 and my buddy who had first casts was skunked. Post spawn funk coupled with dirty water. Well that's my theory - it can't be me whistle

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone found a tackle box near Ellison, I'm offering a $100 reward. My 11 year old son left it there yesterday. He's been filling it up since Christmas and bass season just gets here and now it's gone. Thanks in advance for keeping an eye out for it.

Nice to hear there are good people left. Miss ya HT!

Thanks EBass and MSRD. The boys keep me busy with 4 nights a week on the baseball field. We went out with RT the week before, so I had just thrown a bunch of my terminators, cranks, etc and an extra reel in his box. It was a great feeling to get it back. You don't often get do-overs.

EBass, give me a shout sometime and let's hit a lake. I have a lake bass boat now so I need to learn some of your secret hot spots. laugh

Hi GA:

Making our annual trip up from Arkansas. Will always remember your gracious invitation and the half day we spent spanking those smallmouth on the river with those black buzzbaits!

Hope all is well with you and family.

• 3 months later...

Have not fished much this fall, but took the boat out yesterday in Otsego/Elk River area. The cold front and rain made the bite tough, but we managed about 15 smallies, a couple walleyes (a nice 19 incher), some suckers, and a carp. Fish were generally not very active and were light biting small suckers and nightcrawlers. Biggest smallie was about 17", but most were in 12-14" range. Water is low for this time of year and fishing should pick up this coming week as temps rise back into the 70's. Water temps were generally around 62-65.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been out the last couple days fighting the cold wind, but fishing has been good enough to keep me relatively warm. Fish have been active and size is improving with several fish in the 18"+ range (Otsego area). One measured just shy of 19" - my biggest so far this fall. Smallies are more scattered than normal (maybe due to low water levels and light current?). Catching fish on small suckers and 4" megatubes in about 4 feet of water usually around little nests of rocks - they are preferring the tubes right now, but that will eventually switch to suckers. Northerns have infested one of my favorite spots and were on a rampage yesterday. I caught a few and got bit off several times. Caught a largemouth both days which puts me up to 4 largemouth this year after having never caught one before on the river.

I have been seeing the same guy standing in the middle of the river downstream of Swan Park 2 or 3 days a week on my way to work.

Fishing must be good.

Might put the waders on and see what happens this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

With the cold front I had large smallies swimming right past a medium sucker without taking it. Smaller fish (up to 16") were fairly active on a mega tube. Northerns are still nuts where I am fishing...they are hitting anything that moves.

Had a couple guys in a boat completely ruin our fishing a couple mornings ago. They saw my wife and I catching fish and pretty soon were within about 15 feet of us running an outboard. When I expressed annoyance, the guy running the motor was shocked that it was a problem. The fish shut off as soon as they went through. It is a big river with a lot of places to fish. Catching a couple fish is not worth it.

After a failed Saturday outing on Mille Lacs, stopped by the Mississippi on the way home to try and sooth my wounds from a beating on the big pond. Couldn't believe how much the river is down. We didn't have waders, but were able to land a few from shore. Helped me feel better at least, but hoping for some rain in the next few weeks to get those water levels back up.

Got out yesterday afternoon for 1 1/2 hours. Fish were active with 10 smallies and four northerns. I lost a number of other fish. They were taking medium suckers and a 4" megatube equally well. Biggest smallie was a 20" beast with a massive girth (on a medium sucker). Had a couple others over 18" (on tubes) and a lot of 15-16" footballs.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

yer gonna wear the poor little fishies out ;>)

Big fish are still active on medium suckers in Otsego area. Caught three over 19" and lost a number of other big fish. Ended up with 8 smallies and 3 northerns in 1 1/2 hours. Smaller fish are still taking a megatube, but all of the bigger fish were on suckers.

Yesterday was one of my better big fish days with five smallies over 19" and the largest was a hair over 20". Overall caught 9 smallies and a couple northerns in about 1 1/2 hours of fishing. All fish came on medium suckers...had a couple pick ups on the tube, but never caught a fish. Typical for thise time of year.

Are you shore fishing? - PM me if needed.

We hit da Crow last week for cats and got a bunch of pike on cutbait. Want to try something different now.

What depth were you finding the smallmouths on your last trip? Do you know what the water temperature was then?

Thanks

They were shallower last time out...generally in about 3-4 feet of water near nests of rocks. I am not sure what the water temp was, but it is probably mid-upper 40's in most places right now.