• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Monticello/Otsego Smalliie Fishing Reports

DuckBlind

First year fly fishing. Been fishing from Monti to Otsego, mainly wading in from shore. Missed more fish than I can count, caught a few but still trying to figure things out. I have only used poppers, figured it to be a good time to catch fish on the surface! Wondering if anybody has any tips on where to fish along that stretch. I typically do not see anyone around me, wondering if I am in the wrong place...?

Also, when using poppers I am missing just about everything that comes up and hits my fly. Any advice?

Thanks much for the help in advance.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TunaCan

• fishface

• DuckBlind

• Dylan33

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, when using poppers I am missing just about everything that comes up and hits my fly. Any advice?

Wait for the fish to "load" the rod before you set the hook. If you are missing a buch of fish, chances are you are taking the bait away from them before they have a good hold of it.

Agreed! With poppers, it is easy to get excited and set the hook when you see the strike. The key is to be patient and wait until you feel the weight of the fish.

That makes sense. And I do know that I have taken the fly away from the fish a number of times. But then when I do let it sit there, I think the fish is taking it but nothing...

Guess I will just have to get out there more and figure it out.

If anybody has any advice on where to go from Monti to Otsego I am open to trying new spots...I don't need a map w/ an X on it just looking for ideas.

I go out of Ellison Park at least once a week, and we usually go upriver seeing as it's almost impossible to go downstream unless you have a jet boat, which we dont. Another place you could try is just to the left of the launch there's a island that many people wade out into and fly fish. If you can get to the 25 bridge cast around it and you should pick up some smallies. I agree with the above posters, wait that 1-2 more seconds and you will increase your catch rate significantly. Good Luck!!!

Have you been out there lately Jakesbud? I finally have th canoe ready to go and was thinking about launching at Ellison. Buzzbaits still working?

Fly fishing's about all I do any more. Last year was a better year for surface action than this.

And,

I missed probably at least 5 to one hooked. (even worse trout fishing suface caddis flys. easy 10 to 1, hits to hook ups) I've tried everything!

Wait till you feel their wieght, set right a way, tried it all.

Best bet is wieght till you feel their wieght then play them light. I use smaller hooks fly fishing than I used to spin fishing so it's easier to pull free. Much better fight on the "fairy wond"! My arm hurts after fighting a 16" SM. And a Cat or carp brings cramps and runs almost to the backing. Much greater challenge than spinning! This year Wooly buggers and clousers have been pretty good. When the white mayflies get thick they should be suicidal on top.

Good luck out there. See you IN the water.

Much greater challenge for you, yes, much worse for the fish, prolonged fights out of warm water are not a good idea, it wears the fish out and increases mortality

I know all those short fight arguements. I don't think I've killed nearly as many Fly fishing as I did spin fishing I don't think they exert as much energy over all fighting the fly rod as the spinning rod (I'm only talking about very large fish). I watch them after they're released, watch them swimm away, HOW they swimm away. Always have. I know and understand the arguments about dieing later too. You can tell a fish that's going to make it and one that won't most of the time. MANY more floaters spinn fishing for MANY reasons. More than length and exsertion of fight. 99% of the fish landed on a fly rod are landed in a very reasonable length of time. You can not convince me that spinn fishing is a more humane way to fish! Hang it up if you worrried about hurting them! Because you're killing a LOT more spinn fishing! It is a much funner and a MUCH More challenging and a more sporting, way to fish, in my not so humble opinion. grin(I am a fly fisherman now!)

No doubt if you don't know what you are doing you are going to kill em no matter what you use. But you can say whatever you want but the facts are if you are extending the fight because of light line and not having enough back bone to get them in you are going to kill more fish then you think. You can put any spin on it you want to make yourself feel better but the facts are the facts.

The reality is spin fishing kills a lot more fish than fly fishing. Period. Get out and try it. Live bait is THE domain of the non fly fisherman and is by far the most lethal. I know the studies. Treble hooks in the gills and eyes are another great side effect. I probably catch half the fish fly fishing that I'd catch in the same amount of time spinn fishing. I pounded the river for thirty years with a spinning rod and boat. Sounds to me like a little reverse snobism (I read the TU board, your sounding like SOME of them). Don't go discouraging someone from flyfishing with such a petty argument. Especialy this year with temps being so cool. You have no argument at all! Fly fishing is to fishing what long bows or replica muzzle loaders are to hunting. Don't look if you don't like seeing someone with a fly rod, leave it alone.

Have you been out there lately Jakesbud? I finally have th canoe ready to go and was thinking about launching at Ellison. Buzzbaits still working?

Havent gotten out since week before last. The water was real low and the fishing was slow. We caught 5, with three being 19"+ which was our best day out for size but nowhere near the normal numbers. All on buzzers. The water seems to have came up a little bit since then so maybe I will get out this week.

The reality is spin fishing kills a lot more fish than fly fishing. Period. Get out and try it. Live bait is THE domain of the non fly fisherman and is by far the most lethal. I know the studies. Treble hooks in the gills and eyes are another great side effect. I probably catch half the fish fly fishing that I'd catch in the same amount of time spinn fishing. I pounded the river for thirty years with a spinning rod and boat. Sounds to me like a little reverse snobism (I read the TU board, your sounding like SOME of them). Don't go discouraging someone from flyfishing with such a petty argument. Especialy this year with temps being so cool. You have no argument at all! Fly fishing is to fishing what long bows or replica muzzle loaders are to hunting. Don't look if you don't like seeing someone with a fly rod, leave it alone.

First of all you are reading way to much into my post, I could care less how you catch em, fly rod, spinning, bait casting, string tied to a pop can, whatever. If you are extending the fight of the fish, for your own enjoyment, you are harming fish PERIOD. There are plenty of fly rods that can handle a smallie, any size smallie. If it takes you more than a couple minutes to land them get a stiffer rod, heavier line, whatever you need to do to not harm them. Second of all I have not and don't know any serious smallie fisherman that fish live bait, I have never fished live bait for smallies period, do I do harm with a spinning rod? Yep. Do I extend the fight to wear out a fish that already has a hook through its mouth? Nope.

You are probably correct about more fish getting harmed by a spinning rod, only because they out number fly fisherman 10 to 1, I have seen pretty nasty stuff from both sides, fly fisherman taking 5 minutes to land a 2 pound fish in the heat of the summer, to spin fisherman dragging a smallie up on the bank in below freezing weather and letting it flop around on the snow and ice before kicking it back in with there boot.

The whole point to my original post was to bring to light the fact that nobody (not just you) should be extending the fight out on these fish in warm water, which last time I was out on the river was mid 70's to 78 so yes that is warm enough! It was an informative post not a cut on fly fisherman or spin fisherman, so settle down.

And btw I have no Idea what the TU board is, I have better things to do with my time then cruise 15 different forums talking about fishing

Do you guys really think that people extend the fight when catching fish? Don't know about you peoples but I only have one thing on my mind and that is landing the fish. Silly argument.

Thanks to those who answered my questions and helped me out.

Thank you those who turned this post into a gong show.

I was on the Miss last week. No luck, missed 5...tougher than it looks! Good luck fishing to those who fish...good luck arguing to those who argue.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I had to try my luck at fly fishing last week. I need lessons LOL. Fished 2 hours and had one come up. Went to the same area last night and released 16 in 90 minutes but I was using tubes. I hate it when a fishy swallows that hook bad but that's part of it. Lets not be knocking different kinds of fishing styles. After my night with the flyrod I won't be in a hurry to try it again but fish on to those of you who enjoy it.

"You are probably correct about more fish getting harmed by a spinning rod."

laugh

Thank you!

GONG

TOO Funny!

If you really care about smallies, why do you try to hook them in the mouth with a sharp iron hook?

Why not leave them alone?

Nobody I know would try to capture with force or trick something they value.

Period.

I agree wait until you feel the fish, but dont jerk your rod tip hard and in the upward position, it will hurt the fish, and you'll probably loose it. Instead keep the rod tip low. If you can, make sure the line is tight as well. When the fish is on, elevate the tip slightly, simultaniously jerking the rod towards your body and pulling the rod tip to the right or left. Tight lines help a lot when fly fishing.

Maybe that's my problem. I have the old cross their eyes hooks set mentality. Even when I wait for the wieght of the fish I usually set pretty hard. (Old spinn habits) I have caught them with little or no hookset, And I have been suprized when smoking my cigar by a fish that hooked itself.

My percentages on surface flys and poppers really stinks though. So you're just snugging up the line kind of? I'll try it this weekend if the jet boaters don't aim for me. It seems they just plain miss alot though. The bass on top, that is. I was kidding about the jet boat guys. They've really been good about giving me a lot of room when I'm wading.

Oh Loon. You are funny. Sad. But funny.

Thanks for the help fellers/ladies.

Can't wait to get back out there and hammer some smallies. Nothing like fighting a big smallie!!! Never heard a fish say ouch when setting the hook, guess I will just keep hammering away!

Good luck on the river, I will keep an update on how I do on the river. Please do the same...I mainly go out West of Monti. If you have something to complain about, please dont reply. If you have anything helpful I am all ears.

Yellow poppers have been producing fish...bigger the better is what I am finding out right now! Hope that helps...

Good luck fishing...

I've been fishing topwater all summer(not fly fishing). I keep a close eye on the lure and when a fish grabs it, I'll give it a second, reel in the slack and set the hook, fairly hard I guess. Hookup percentage probably about 75.

Now the interesting thing is every once in a while I will be distracted by something and look away, but continue my walk the dog retrieve cadence. I can't tell you how many times I've reeled in the slack to make the lure snap again and "Wham" my rod almost gets pulled out of my hand.

That tells me two things, 1. the fish will basically set the hook itself if you let it. (aka not watching the lure) 2. I like watching the lure and seeing the strike, get excited and set the hook too soon resulting in missing roughly 25% of the strikes.

So I try to just continue my retrieve the same whether there was a strike or not. Bottom line a good hookset can be accomplished with the same movement as popping a topwater. It is hard to train yourself not to give it a Bill Dance hookset though.

Unless it misses the lure, the odds of hooking the fish are pretty good considering your topwater likely has two trebles unless you're using a fly or buzzbait. Kind of like fishing a crankbait. If you're retrieving it fairly fast and a fish hits, they usually hook themselves. The trick is landing them without those small hooks popping out.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

lol, you guys are funny, we fished the clearwater stretch yesturday and released 47 unharmed smallies. all on 5 inch stickbaits (fake senkos). life is good!

Un Harmed...

What about their FEELINGS.

Hu?

Did you ever think they might have had their FEELINGS hurt?

Windowpane. Is your name from something like your occupation? Or a 70's recreational passtime?

So... what color was your plastic?

Shore or mid channel?

I don't use plastic any more. I've gone green. (I'm kidding) I just like using the stuff I've tied. I may go back plastic though if I don't figure somethng out soon.

I did have a carp on the other day that got the best of me.

I thought I'd do better on the Smallmouth as the water levels dropped.

I redeamed myself! Nothing bigger than a foot or two. But lots!

On top finally. (Ok, way closer to a foot.)

Some sucked it down so subtly. I didn't know I had them untill I felt the wieght. What a differance from last year. I thought I had their number last year. Guess not! Deer hair poppers. The first had the perfect plop. They wore it out. The second wanted to dive too much. Not nearly as many hits. Seemed most where towards mid channel.