• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Monticello/Otsego Smalliie Fishing Reports

DuckBlind

The river north of pool 2 is a closed season for game fish just like area lakes, you have to go below Ford dam in St Paul to have an open season on game fish, and then its just catch and release.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TunaCan

• fishface

• DuckBlind

• Dylan33

Top Posters In This Topic

The river north of pool 2 is a closed season for game fish just like area lakes, you have to go below Ford dam in St Paul to have an open season on game fish, and then its just catch and release.

Per p18 of the regulations, C&R only for smallmouth bass from 09/14/2009-02/28/2010. So, there's still a few days left. Then, they're off-limits till May again (except for pool 2).

Yes Ralph its still open till Sunday c&r but I wouldn't exactly call Sunday spring

Yeah, I caught the "spring" part after reading his post a second time smile

• 1 month later...

Wonder what the river will be like for bass opener???

Anybody have any luck with smallies around Dayton where the Mississippi and the Crow come together??? Or around the big island just south of there...looking for places to wade in with a fly rod.

Low water is what I am suspecting. I am sitting on the bank of the miss in bc fishing as I type this from my phone and the water level is where it should be in june. Not a bad thing really for fishing IMO. Get out the sub-warts and chug bugs and you will be set.

Up at the crow is decent from my experience. The last time I was there I targeted cats and still ended up with a few smallies. Its a great area for a canoe.

• 1 month later...

How are we looking for the opener??? Guessing it will be a bit chilly to wade out...and the water might be a bit high.

Anybody been out there lately?

If anybody feels like sharing a spot or two where a guy could catch smallies on a fly I am all ears...I usually go out just east of Monti looking for smallies.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Throw a tube and they will come. grin

don't know about the water temps down that way, but I was out up by Sauk Rapids this morning and the temp was fine for wading, warmer than I thought it would be.

Anybody been out fly fishing around Monti/Otsego yet...wondering if it would be fine to head up there and wade in and walk around...?

D B

Was out once. Tough.

Trying again tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Got to tie up some white flys and see what goes.

Think I'll start at St Clousd and work my way down to Monti.

Stared at the Darn in St cloud.

Ended in Monti.

Had better days, had worse.

Here's a few pictures.

Copyof2010_0603uwtest0026.jpg

2010_0603uwtest0036.jpg

2010_0603uwtest0002.jpg

That kitty had to be fun, what kind of camera is that? I need somethng waterproof,=!

Just getting a cat on a fly rod would made that trip for me. Cool pictures!

Just getting a cat on a fly rod would made that trip for me. Cool pictures!
+1!

RR It's a Fuji WP.

I really like this camera.

O F

The Cat Was a Blast! 24" I'd guess about 5lbs.+ or -.

They'r fairly common on wooly buggers.

I fought him till he was DEAD! (couldn't reisist)

I did best on the bass with a deer hair popper. But it might have been timing.

They really start to feed around 8pm or so.

I love cathing river crappies too. This one was just over 11".

You could have probably left that catfish on shore for a couple days and let it go without any harm. smirk

I didn't even notice the crappie, thats a nice catch also, gj on the catfish also, nothing better than dead kitties in the fryer grin

Managed 8 smallies yesterday, largest was only 15 inches. Talked to others that did much better. I floated Montissippi to Elk River.

FF, do you mind me asking a little more about what fly pattern you are getting those channel cats on? I know that channels will target their prey visually but they aren't well known for that, which is why it is pretty rare to see a catfish with a fly sticking out of it's mouth.

Thanks guys,

Yesterday the cats went on a binge!

2010_0608uwtest0022.jpg

Got four. All over three pounds. Can't believe how hard they pull!

2010_0608uwtest0019.jpg

They'r all near shallow riffle areas. Some in front of, and some right in the riffle. A couple I've seen violently feeding in the riffle, got my fly in front, and watched'm nail it. Very fun way to fish!

Did get a bunch of little bass too.

2010_0608uwtest0014.jpg

Just nothing longer than 15" at the most. Have a feeling the bass are in the main channel areas that are a bit harder to get at wading. (may have to get in the boat)

SD,

Wooly Buggers , gold bead, wrapping the entire hok shank in lead wire, White marabou with some krystal flash tied a little long, white hackle, white chenille. Tied on about a #6 or even #4 hook make it about 3" long.

2010_0608uwtest0020.jpg

I use a 5 wt rod so casting's a liitle tricky sometimes. But It works.

I got out Sunday night, just waded in a couple of miles east of Monti...smallies could be seen rising just behind big rocks in the water...

Question for you fly fishing pros out there...

I could SEE smallies behind rocks, coming out of the water...the water was moving pretty fast, guessing from the rain and time of year...I would cast right up to the rocks, with poppers and then subsurface flies and let them float right next to the area where I could actually see fish. NOTHING. My problem, I think...the flies/poppers would just cruise through, the current would catch my line and they would just fly by. I was casting up stream and it seemed like my fly would cruise by too fast, nothing I could do to slow it down...and with poppers there was no chance of getting the popper to pop...make sense??? Anyways, I am just looking for a few helpful tips. Maybe they could see my line...passing by first? Do most guys fish upstream or should I have gone up stream and let my fly drift down? Any help would be appreciated...

Only update I have is this...

I went out, near Kadler (I think that was the road)...river seemed a bit high and moving pretty fast. No many peoples out there, just a couple of fellas by the access. I walked west up stream...LOTS OF TRASH...wow...kind of sad.

Anyhoo good luck fishing. Thanks to those who reply...

I've only been Fly fishing for a few years,

so...

what do I know...

I like to fish bigger water, like the Miss, from accross or up stream, (letting the fly swing downstream with current).

Seems it USUALLY works better. The big water hides me better. Still have to move slow and sneaky though. when the water's clear I use leaders at least 9' long. From up stream you can hold the bait right in the spot. Seems like if I can see the fish, they can seen me, and if not outright spooked, put on edge enough so they don't bite too often.

• 1 month later...

Went wading at Montissippi this morning. Water was very warm. I confirmed my suspicion...I suck at fishing big rivers. Caught about 10 little smallies. Bigger fish might be deeper, I couldn't get too far out. Managed to spook a few decent fish while wading mad

I'll just have to keep trying I guess wink

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

lol, at least yer getting out.