• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Steve Foss

I also have heard from multiple sources that the DNR released over 100 wolves from the ely area to northern Itasca county because there were getting to be too many in some areas.

The DNR doesn't manage wolves in Minnesota. Hasn't since the wolf was placed on the endangered species list. The federal government has managed the wolf in the lower 48 for the last 30-plus years. If the DNR trapped 100 wolves from up here in recent years and released them somewhere else in the state it would have raised a stink that wouldn't have dissipated for years.

Sorry to those who hear black helicopters circling overhead, but there's no way in the world the DNR could have kept an operation like that secret. It would have leaked from several different levels of government before the first live trap was even set. Could it have happened back in the 70s? Sure, it's possible, but I've never heard anything about it from credible sources.

I can hear from multiple sources that Al Gore is the product of a union between Johnny Appleseed and the Easter Bunny, but that doesn't make it true, or even credible.

MinnesotaMuskie

Been away from the forum for a bit...

First...remember all the great times with your buddy in the field...sounds like a great dog.

Second...we have land in the area...only been in the area for 4-5 years, prior to that near Togo since the '70's. We have observed a drastic increase in wolf contact near Little Spring and to the west in the 5 years we have been there. Actually we were contacted to allow trapping/access on our land...we cooperated.

Thirdly...If I have my lab and retriever with me in the woods...I will have a firearm and would use it in the case of a wolf attack on any dog. If I had to make this choice, I would also report the incident to the DNR or Forest Service.

Fourthly...We need to approach the powers that be and try to develop a wolf management system...i.e. hunting or trapping season. I do believe that wolves would develop a healthy fear/respect of man if this were to happen. This may cause the wolf to become more wary of human contact.

Finally...Once again I have 4 kids and 2 dogs...my retriever is older and will enjoy her last season within the next couple years. We feel for your lose and we intend to have our Yellow Lab bred this year and your children are welcome to one of the pups free of charge when the kids are ready for another buddy to take to the field.

Hang in there...

Steve

grpd

Sir my hat is off to you for your very heartfilled offer of a gift of one of your pups to this family and again people like you make why this forum is the best in the world. Secondly i agree 100% with your thoughts on the way to handle wolfs. You do what you have to do if you need to protect yourself or pet but and i hate to say this but if you do report it as one would think it is the right thing to do you might get yourself in legal trouble, anyway you do what you think is best and thank you for the great post and thoughtfullnes

Duffman

You do what you have to do if you need to protect yourself or pet but and i hate to say this but if you do report it as one would think it is the right thing to do you might get yourself in legal trouble

I know that being responsible for ones actions is becoming rare in this world, but there are still some of us who practice it. That's why I was relieved when the wolf was delisted, and just shook my head when it was relisted. If a wolf is attacking my dog, I'm popping it whether it's on the list or not. And at this time, I'll have to deal with the legal ramifications of doing so.

grpd

I was just commending him for his thoughtfullness and etc and maybe just give him what may or may not be some forewarning on the other issue, was not my intentions to advocate on that subject one way or another and probably should never have even mentioned it.

Duffman

No harm, no foul grpd. We all have opinions on the matter. None of them wrong, none of them right.

My hound and I will be within 5 miles as the wolf trots to the scene of this tragic event for the next four days. Believe me, it's something that I worry about, not overly so, but it's something to be aware of. I hope they took care of the offending wolves in this case or any other case where family pets and livestock are preyed upon.