• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Great report, any size to the sunfish? Also, how is the ice/access, and how much snow is out there if any? I haven't fished it but am coming home Friday and am planning to spend the day in the area fishing.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt C

• luckycrank

• no bait nate

• Rubber Ducky

Max, access the north end by the old resort.. No snow 24 inches of ice. you will see were everyone has been. The sun fish are the biggest that I have seen since 2000. When you come out you will see a pile of snow that the ice houses had left stay to the west and north of that. If you see any snuff by the hole that is mine lol. I fished five days last week in that spot it was off the hook. 19 fow water was key for sun fish. moved in the 22 fow at 5:00 pm and the crappies were game on.

Thanks Rubber, the only issue I can see myself having now is a pile of people fishing the same spot due to your generosity of giving away the exact holes haha cry

Max,

Not true you need to use the right lure and you have Friday off so your already in the lead. I had people all around me and they were not catching the fish we were. I have a better tip for you PM me.

Are people still driving out there? I plan on heading there tonight with a friend. Havent been out there since last Saturday and drove...ducer cord was perfect set at the same height it has been for 3-4 weeks.

Sweet report, I'm hopeful I'll be done working early tomorrow and catching big crappies in the afternoon sun! Thanks for the tips and I will take your lead and give it a try. I wear grey frabill bibs and drive a pewter chevy 1500, if anyone else is out stop by, good luck!

The landing would be a whole lot better if people weren't driving out right now. I have been out there twice this week with full size trucks going out. Needless to say that bullrush bay landing is a huge mess and now everyone is driving over the reeds. Mazaska isn't that big of a lake and you can walk from one end to the other in a matter of 10 minutes. I know I have done it. It is so sad to see the ice go but when people accelerate that process it makes it even worse.

I'm not going to disagree with you, because what you say is true, I'm part of the problem.

Quite a bit of space down the public access shoreline if you dont want to go down the actual landing, walking. I didn't think the public landing was bad at all. That is the first place water is going to pool up regardless. Bull rush is where all the cars, and wkend houses come on. Doesnt surprise me its a mess. Its not all cars and trucks though, wheelers do damage too.

And if you can pull a fully loaded double man flip over from the access to the north end in ten minutes, more power to ya, cause I know I couldn't. smile Just be happy we have the amount of ice we do this year, we were in the boat by this time last year, which was a good thing too. But 2 feet of ice still on March 28th...when is the last time we have said that? I wont be driving anymore though, just to clarify. Good luck

I went out for about 2 hours last night, ended up catching about 40 crappies. You have to do a lot of sorting, but it's fun fishing.

Guys are still driving out their with trucks. This will be my last time out with my truck.

Hey guys,I was wondering if I could get buy with just using plastics out there? Would like to find some nice crappie.

.have they been picky or eatin everything they see? Plus,what times have been best?

Slice, I use Lindy ice flays with a small plastic tail on it. Red bugs are the key with spoons, the smaller the better. Orange has been on fire for bright days.

Hey guys,I was wondering if I could get buy with just using plastics out there? Would like to find some nice crappie.

.have they been picky or eatin everything they see? Plus,what times have been best?

YES! Plastics have out fished live bait for the past few weeks out there! Still 16" of ice, but the landing stinks. I am done driving.

Very picky bite, finesse and find the right color! (pink)..that was easy. lol

Good luck!

bundt2k do you think a person will still be able to walk out this weekend coming up i am visiting my son from son and would love to get out a few hours.

• 3 weeks later...

rangerforme,

Tried to get back to you was over the PM stuff. Anytime your down in the area let me know. I would be glad to show you a few spots.

• 7 months later...

This topic is a bit out of date :-)

Out fishing now in the south hole 33 feet. Crappies are suspended 3-4 feet and only are biting on smaller bait and must be lively minnow. I'm using a perch colored buckshot and a green small spoon and the perch colored is working better. We have about 13 inches of ice as well. Kind of a slow morning only picked off 2 crappies. But always nice to get out. Esp on my birthday! smile

Heh thanks y'all. Going out tomorrow night rob! Go on horseshoe. If I end up getting all my cleaning dine for the party tomorrow I might head down there but its looking doubtfull

Worked in 20 FOW. Then worked my way to 28-30 FOW. Mobility was the key to success. Most of the crappies were suspended 10 feet off the bottom. Key? Look for active biters, not neutral or negative biters. If the fish behavior was neutral or negative, I had to move immediately. Got limited out in an hour and half. Rubber Ducky, thanks for pointing me the area as the beginning point--cheers!

pretty tough fishing for me out there tonight. caught a few crappies but had to work really hard for em. tried to stay out of the crowds in the deep water so found a transition from deep to shallow thinking maybe they would come in at sunset, not much luck. anyone else do any better?

pretty tough fishing for me out there tonight. caught a few crappies but had to work really hard for em. tried to stay out of the crowds in the deep water so found a transition from deep to shallow thinking maybe they would come in at sunset, not much luck. anyone else do any better?

Had the same results all day on Saturday. Moved around, drilled lots of holes. Seems like the fish we did catch wanted something still. Didn't see a suspended fish all day...

Rebeleye, I had no problems limiting out those crappies in the last three days. Today I am taking a break and reflect what I have learned of those crappies' behavior. I barely use any livebait at all. Soft plastics were often favored and most preferred. Deadsticking approach may have factored the fish to bite but with an exception of a quick snap by lifting up quick and let it fall--all my fish I caught nailed it every time. All in all, my family is happy those fish go into the frying pan and then into their bellies.

To all of y'all, I bid y'all a successful week making those fish scream. Cheers!

Good job, TurkeyBoy - I've never caught a single limit on Mazaska, much less 3 limits on 3 consecutive days. It's a tricky lake that only rewards the really patient or the really persistent.