• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm normally only in the area for the silver bass run (or lack there of) on the cannon in the spring, but I got a few days to fish this upcoming week and kinda' want to try something new. Upon looking through the lakefinder it looked as if mazaska has the best pike/bass fishing in the area. What's been the assessment out there this year?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt C

• luckycrank

• no bait nate

• Rubber Ducky

If it was me I would recommend Cedar lake west of faribo for bass and General Shields and Mazaska for Northerns, unless you want numbers and not so worried about size, then I would recommend Kelly-Dudley for both...

Where can I go to get in some shore fishing at Kelly or Dudley? Can you give me some directions?

Where are you coming from?

Take Hwy 21 out of Faribault.

Take a left at Roberds Lake Trail

Take an immediate right on 165th street.

Follow that to Kelly/Dudley Lake boat landing.

You can fish from the dock.

If you want some fightin big bass go to Mazaska,bullet sinker rigged with a rubber crawler you should do pretty good.

Thanks for the info...I'd like to try all those lakes if it were feasible, but sounds like mazaska will win this round. How is the water looking? Pretty green?

If I make it down there it'll be wednesday. I just fished a lake in the north metro today that was super green (less than 6 inch clarity), definitely looking for some clearer water now.

Just out of curiousity, are white bass a common catch or are the numbers on the survey misleading?

Careful at the launch, I chewed my prop pretty good about 5 feet away from the launch, a nice mound built up there.

Was out there this past sunday the 26th the launch is shallow. If looking down the launch towards the lake the left side is the worst. Did catch a 18" walleye and a 16". Also caught a few crappies. A few northerns smallest was 22" biggest 30" not a bad day. [img:center]mw72609.jpg

Well, I made the treck down to "maz" today, the lake looked really good upon arrival. But the fishing sucked! frown I only got 2 bass and a pike. I think it had more to do with the weather that was moving through though. Like I said, I liked the look of the lake, so I'm willing to give it another shot next year.

• 4 months later...

they were doing good last weekend right off the landing, was thinking of taking my kid there too....not sure of depth but distance was about 100-200 yards off public access.

Stop into the shieldsville baitshop, they usually will be able to tell you more info on Mazaska. pike bite was on at shields and circle, not sure on Mazaska.

gills can be hard to find but there is some nice ones in there! did you try this lake yet? how did you do! heading out tommorow!

EK

I was out there Saturday night and Sunday. Caught three small Walleyes at night, a handful of small perch, and three keeper crappies in about 18 hours of fishing. Not the greatest if you ask me. There's about 4 inches of water/slush on top of the ice now due to the heavy snow.

i've never really fished in south central mn, except for the cannon river.

anyway, where is tetonka located? i'd love to get into some white bass through the ice

Its right outside Waterville. They are sure fun through the ice, and you will know when you find a school they will light up the flasher.

Was out for about 4 hours yesterday and marked LOTS of suspended fish. They were anywhere from 6-12' off the bottom. Only one small hit and nothing through the ice.

Originally Posted By: JBMasterAngler
Any white bass to be caught through the ice?

Cannon but tough to locate and stay on.

Same with Mazaska.

Your best bet it Tetonka.

I have a favor/question to ask. Is anyone going to be out on Mazaska with a wheeler tomorrow? My wheeler is in the shop and I was planning on going up to Red this weekend, but the house is stuck out there with no way of getting it off. It's located about 200 yds from the SE landing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. PM me or give me a call 612-382-6486.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

how is the walleye bite on this lake? i just moved back to the area from ND where i was kind of spoiled with Devils Lake in my backyard. I dont actually keep any fish, just in it for the sport and just want a lake where i can catch a few walleye over 6".

Hey guys, I might be headin out to Mazaska this weekend for the first time. Im from the north metro but am gonna give this area a shot. Anyways, does anyone have any recent reports or advice on mazaska?

Thanks in advance!