• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I currently am out but am builing so ,I am from faribault so I could show you one when I get on done probally sat or sunday

I got about 25.00 in to them blank ,guides, spring thread and glue. but they are darn nice

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt C

• luckycrank

• no bait nate

• Rubber Ducky

mskfshntchr, i grew up in DC and lived there until about 3 years ago. Finally had to move because there wasn't a lake in the county. pretty tough location for a fisherman huh?

grew up there as well graduated triton in 03? we used to fish the gravel pits alot!

Originally Posted By: no bait nate
mskfshntchr, i grew up in DC and lived there until about 3 years ago. Finally had to move because there wasn't a lake in the county. pretty tough location for a fisherman huh?

grew up there as well graduated triton in 03? we used to fish the gravel pits alot!

I grad. from Triton in '94 and moved back 2 years ago. Yeah...no lakes...well...Faribault isn't too bad...Those are the lakes I have been fishing most of my life, so I know them fairly well, so that is ok, I guess.

Gravel pits? Which ones? I've fished most of them over the years...

Do you have any tips for using spring bobbers? I tried using one for the first time, last week and I had bites on it but I couldn’t hook one to save my life.

bend your hook gap out a bit , or change jig profiles

likley not the cause of the spring bobber I personall never quite moving my jig general as the fish approaches I move my rod tip a 1/4 of an inch up and down in a smooth fluid motion

I feel I can detect a bite alot sooner that way

i have ran into a n instance where I couldn't hook fish from a taught line before , once i seen the spring bobber move i had to set the hook from a slack line in order to hook em'

some of the biggest gills get that way

ahh, the gravel pits, good times out there. hodgmans or the crane creek pits? we used to sneak back and catch some pretty nice fish in those. thats where i learned how to fish, ha. the Naylor WMA pond "used" to put out some pretty decent fish too.

who are you dc boys? i graduated in 05 myself.

luckycrank i don't have your email? so hit up mine.

[email protected]

was from claremont names eric kruger they used to call me cartman? dont know if it helps

we used to fish hodgmans pits alot and yeah there was one that had some huge crappies in it!

cartman i've definitely heard but can't put a face to the name. i'm nate anderson, you might have known my sisters missy or naura.

yeah those ponds used to be fun but now they dont' let anybody fish them anymore

Nate shoot me an e-mail. Me and a forum mods here have a perm out.Or just stop by and have a beer and we can compare notes some day. Back to spring bobbers... it can make or break a day right now with the tight lipped pannies if you have a flasher and a spring bobber.

yeah those ponds used to be fun but now they dont' let anybody fish them anymore

I'm from Claremont originally also...Nate Hamm...little older than you guys--your names aren't familiar to me, that I recall anyways.

Yeah, access is very limited to all those pits. Hodgman's pits have really changed..he has a cabin/house back there...super nice. My dad knows him fairly well- so we get access and I get back there and fish a few times a summer. It is amazing how much those pits have changed in the last 4-5 years. Still some dandy fish in the one I fish. Crappies on top water in the early summer are lots of fun!!

Do you have any tips for using spring bobbers? I tried using one for the first time, last week and I had bites on it but I couldn’t hook one to save my life.

As soon as you see it move the slightest (either UP or down), set the hook.

Well, I'm all ready to go tomorrow. I have to stop and get the auger from my buddy's, and then it's on. I didn't get the spring bobber, but I did get alot of the other thing people suggested, so we'll see what happens. I'm intersted to see if the plastics work. Should I try them alone or with a wax worm or both?

I should be out there early in the morning, so if you see a blue Expedition pop-up shack out there, feel free to stop by. We'll be more than glad to chat...unless we're on the fish!

Anybody else going to be out, just in case I can't get the auger going????

Pretty excited, I'm taking out a buddy with maybe less experience than, me...

Blind leading the Blind, if we can get our lines wet, I'd call it a success!

nate hamm, i think i've met you and your dad joel? a few times at a few deer hunting after party's, maybe gililands? your dad welded up the rod holders we're using and the trailer and frame for the shack we're currently fishing out of. you'll have to tell him it's working out great

When using a spring bobber, I think you have to change the way you fish. I changed the way I sat in my shack, where I drilled my holes and how I held my fishing rod.

I drill my holes so when I am sitting comfortably with my back against the backrest of my seat, my rod is centered over the hole. I sit and hold the rod against my knee to give me greater stability and control. My arm rests on my leg with my wrist and the rod tip pointed somewhat downward. I think the biggest change was how I held the fishing rod. I went to a "pistol grip" on the rod. I'm not sure if there are pictures of this- but instead of wrapping my hand around the rod, I now essentially only have the rod between my thumb and index finger. This seems to make a HUGE difference when setting the hook. By holding the rod tip down a little with this grip it seems to give a better hookset with the spring bobber.

It is a little awkward at first reeling in a fish, but after a few times you will get the hang of it. It now feels awkward to hold a rod the "old" way.

Good luck- spring bobbers catch so many more fish.

agreed, pistol grip is the only way to go for spring bobbers, helps out your percentages a lot. great tip!

On this topic, my cousin had a type of bobber that attached to the end of the pole and pivoted much like a teeter totter, it slid back and forth as to balance correctly for the amount or weight used/jig size. Essentially it was adjustable so there was basically no tension to be felt, and the other nice thing about it was that it snapped on off to the side, and you were able to run your line through it and take it back out of the bobber without taking the jig off (Nice for storage, or moving to different poles)...i thought it was a very neat set up, have never seen one before and he said he had to order it. So I am not sure if he ordered it from Cabela's or Bass Pros or where, but it was neat i thought... anyone else ever seen these or used them?

That rod sounds like a 50 dollar one that they sell at that big box store in the mall. I have 2 of em and absolutely love em!

yeah that sounds like the right name for that strike indicator. A buddy of mine bought one last year at a local gas station. He likes it for the reasons you guys mentioned.

ok back to the subject. mazaska produced some very nice 11.5-12 inch crappies for me this Sunday. they where however pretty tight lipped and difficult to get to bite very few gills for this outing ,

i have used spring bobbers in the past but my pole is so sensitive that i dont care to use one. the one disadvantage of them is that you have to constantly stare at your tip. i always put my finger on the line, so in case i happen to reach for a beer or other things......works like a charm for me.

i have used spring bobbers in the past but my pole is so sensitive that i dont care to use one. the one disadvantage of them is that you have to constantly stare at your tip. i always put my finger on the line, so in case i happen to reach for a beer or other things......works like a charm for me.

I only reach for a beer when there are no fish on the Lowrance... smile

ok back to the subject. mazaska produced some very nice 11.5-12 inch crappies for me this Sunday. they where however pretty tight lipped and difficult to get to bite very few gills for this outing ,

I should have hopped right back in the truck and followed you....We struck out big time on the northerns yesterday.

I didn't get to mazaska till say 10:30 , left went elsewhereabout 11:30 gave it a little while for some perch and returned about 1:30 had so much interferance with 3 flashers in a fish trap voyager it was annoying me and to darn cold to fish out side confortably left before 4 pm

Try using a bobber stop on your line for your strike indicator. I was too lazy one day to re-rig after using a slip bobber so I left the line stop on the line. Slide it until it is set to rest on or just a hair above the water line in your hole and when the fish hit it will ripple the water or go under and you'll have your bite indication. I've tried the spring bobbers but just don't like them. I also use a super sensitive el cheapo rod, blue ice rod with the orange tip that work just fine and cost less than ten dollars. Rip lips!