• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Belle Plaine river contest

Thor is man!

He is literally ever-where. Within a 24 hour period recently I ran into him at Lake Nokomis, the Ford Dam and on the Minnesota River in Shakopee..LOL!

His colleagues think he's nuts going out solo at night on the Rivers!

Go Thor!.. smile

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• Gordie

• DTro

• hanson

Top Posters In This Topic

Thor is man!

He is literally ever-where. Within a 24 hour period recently I ran into him at Lake Nokomis, the Ford Dam and on the Minnesota River in Shakopee..LOL!

His colleagues think he's nuts going out solo at night on the Rivers!

Go Thor!.. smile

He probably is wondering why your following him, covering so much ground fishing. whistle

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
I have been checked 2 times this year, and both times they had jet boats.

I have never seen them. Where did you run into them?

Did they have the low pro?

Once at Rush River, and once at Kasota. I dont know who Thor is, he wasn't by himself, and I know the time at Kasota was no small boat, sorta RP like.

We should set up a text message system for him. If he ever did get in a pickle and couldn't get back up in time he could relay his location out to one of us and that person could send it out to the rest. Since we are always on the water one of us would more then likely be close enough to respond. Consider it a neighborhood watch group just for the river smile. I know I would be down for backing Thor or the rest of the guys out. If they knew that there was no way they could get one of their own out there in time.

Pretty sure that Thor's upstream limit is BP. Not saying you won't see him beyond there, but I've ran into him mostly from Jordan down.

He grew up in New Ulm and knows the river well.

That is the one they have in kato'. I would assume that is the boat I will run into eventually.

ive never attended this contest, but was gonna this year. not to sure its a good idea now. guess we'll see!

in my 26 years of hunting and fishing I have only been checked once by a CO. And that was hunting out west. Where did you get checked? Did he measure your bullies?

Been stopped by the DNR twice in the last week.

That is good to hear. I hope they keep it up.

I have seen the CO's truck at the Shakopee landing a couple of times,(like yesterday) but never down by Jordan.

talked with the guy?guys that will be attending the BP contest and they told me that they were not going to be assisting them with the contest but there to observe and give some helpfull hints to the people running it and they are well aware of the things that we have been discussing on this forum. I applaude those guys for what they do.

in my 26 years of hunting and fishing I have only been checked once by a CO. And that was hunting out west. Where did you get checked? Did he measure your bullies?

What do you mean did he measure your bullies?? Everyone knows you have to stick to 8" and under for legal bait.

Originally Posted By: pureinsanity

What do you mean did he measure your bullies?? Everyone knows you have to stick to 8" and under for legal bait.

I thought it was 7" or under. And last night I saw a guy with a huge bullie on the end of his hook. So not everyone knows the rule, or if they do they do not follow it.

You are correct it is 7 inches. This is one law I wish they would change. I would like to see it go up to 12 inches. I have never measured my bait, and I would assume I have used some that push or exceed the 7 inch mark. I can say no CO has ever even asked to see my bait.

They did check my Bullheads one time, but not much they can do when they are in my bucket. They could all be 3 lb Bullies and they would have no way of knowing if I wanted to just take them home and eat them or use them as bait...

When I talked with the dnr bioligists this weekend they said when they set thier trot lines for the catfish studies they love to use 1 1/2 to 2 lb bullies for bait and I think his exact words were them flats love them big bullheads. and I said I wish we could use them big bullies and smiled at him and all he could do was smile back.

Why is the size a big deal? You can use any size sucker minnow you want. I got a nice 4lb one earlier in the year and I could see that being a big deal.

Actually suckers are 12" I believe (to be considered a minnow).

This has been argued for several years, and actually has taken about 5 years to make any progress. There are a couple of guys that have been on the case behind the scenes and put a lot of effort into it. It finally looks like something might get done for next season (bullhead change).

While the DNR is out there enforcing laws, they are also out there making sure everyone is safe, and bait size is something that usually is on the backburner for them. They are checking for poachers, extra lines, safety equipment, bag limits. That kind of stuff.

Having said that, a law is a law period whether we like it or not, and they have every right to write up a citiation for not following it, even as trivial as it might seem.

From what I have been told those large decoy suckers aren't really legal to use for bait. Just decoys for spear fishin. Dunno if that's true but doesn't matter to me I don't use suckers.

From what I have been told those large decoy suckers aren't really legal to use for bait. Just decoys for spear fishin. Dunno if that's true but doesn't matter to me I don't use suckers.

I thought this was brought up earlier this year? The conclusion was that they are not legal as bait over 12". Maybe I too am remembering wrong.

I didn't know about the 12" rule, I don't never considered it while picking out bait. I guess I assumed if a bait store sold them they were legal bait. You are also right about the citations, I received one for shooting four minutes late at a goose last year. Didn't even hit it and it was still bright as day out. I was told to set my watch to satellite time.

Originally Posted By: rushing

I thought this was brought up earlier this year? The conclusion was that they are not legal as bait over 12". Maybe I too am remembering wrong.

correct

Well I have to give some credit where it is due. The sign up sheets for this year are a huge improvement over past years. They also made possession tags that coordinate with the sign-up sheet numbers, and have some tips on how to treat and release cats. Good to see that they are at least making some efforts to improve the contest!!

I would trust advice from you guys on how to treat the fish. How do I transport that 50 lber to the weigh in again? My river boats live well is a really big cooler.