• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Muddog

• PDOGG

• Team Otter

• carpmanjake

Mike; as always it was a pleasure to have you in my boat.

The pleasure was mine. It was a blast we will have to do it again sometime!

We used Cream style corn (ALDIS) to draw them in ( 1 can). We used hand fulls of whole kernel caned corn (ALDIS) to maintain the bait field (1 can) and frozen corn that I cut from the cob on our lines.

I did get some strange look yesterday when I was loading up with caned corn when you can get fresh corn on the cob this time of year.

Good luck!

Mike, I would be happy to do it again but first I need to see how my Dad will be after his fall.

Aweasome report and pics guys! Mike called me up last night pretty excited about the whole deal.

Best of luck with your father Gary.

Mike, I would be happy to do it again but first I need to see how my Dad will be after his fall.

Yes, best wishes for your dad MD.

dang that looks lit it was a great time. sure hope i can make it to the gtg.

hope all is well with your father MD

im working on getting my license. just did my first Behind the wheel. and i have another on monday, then i will schedule the 3rd and final one. and take my test. i really hope i can make it!

muddog, if i dont make it, can you guide me there sometime after tthe gtg? i wanna beat my PB mirror! at only 4lbs any carp will do it laugh

Anyone been catching any in the west jefferson and middle jeff channel by cleveland?

Quote:
muddog, if i dont make it, can you guide me there sometime after tthe gtg? i wanna beat my PB mirror! at only 4lbs any carp will do it

Just let me know a week or so ahead of time and we'll see if we can get you 20lber.

Anyone been catching any in the west jefferson and middle jeff channel by cleveland?

I have got them there bowfishing. You could probably get a few to bite, but there are a lot of sunnies and bullies around there to steal your bait.

Just look for Carp activity. Active Carp are feeding Carp. Use a hook the right size for your bait . For corn I like a size 8 hook.

Don’t pick a spot before you get on the water. Go to a spot and look around to see if carp are in the area. Once you find them bait the area and mark it. Get your baited hook on top of your bait and hold on. I find it best to move the boat after hookup so you don’t spook the other fish on the bait while you fight the one on your line.

If you don’t have success right away don’t give up. Carp will eventually find your bait. Next time they will move in quicker. Remember if you are out there when they are not feeding you may not catch one. So look for Carp activity first!

We used Cream style corn (ALDIS) to draw them in ( 1 can). We used hand fulls of whole kernel caned corn (ALDIS) to maintain the bait field (1 can)

Forgive my ignorance and/or lack of regulation knowledge on this particular subject but is this legal?

Chumming by definition is using parts of fish. In the state of Mn it is illegal the put parts of fish back into the water. Thus chumming is illegal. Dumping a can of corn into a lake is not chumming (no fish parts).

I have had correspondence with people from the DNR and they have said if they see someone doing it to aggressively they will site them for littering!

Maybe we could get da_chise31 to chime in on this.

Quote:
muddog, if i dont make it, can you guide me there sometime after tthe gtg? i wanna beat my PB mirror! at only 4lbs any carp will do it

Just let me know a week or so ahead of time and we'll see if we can get you 20lber.

sounds good!

do the carp ever feed up shallow? like you can see them. i would love to try and get a nice mirror on the fly wink

Other

• A permit is required for transplanting aquatic plants, applying

chemicals, and some types of cutting to control veg e ta tion in any

public waters. (See page 58 for more information).

• Dragging boat anchors or other weights with a motorpropelled

boat

through aquatic vegetation is unlawful.

• Depositing fish entrails or fish parts into public waters or onto lake or

stream shores is prohibited.

• Littering of any materials and de pos it ing rubbish, poisonous sub stances,

or chemicals harmful to aquatic life into public waters, onto ice,

or lake or stream shores is illegal. Fish line and various packaging

materials can be harmful to wildlife.

• Marking or tagging fish and then releasing them without a DNR

permit is un law ful.

• A DNR permit is required for any fishing contest when entry fees

exceed $25, prizes exceed $25,000, or when participants exceed 30 for

open water and 150 for ice fishing. See DNR Web site or call DNR

Information Center for more information and to get costs for permit.

Thanks Gary.

Dependent on interpretation of definition, chemical and/or rubbish can be found in a can of corn. Seems awfully sticky to me and thus possibly a case where the angler could end up on the short end of the stick.

Here are some links to last years Carp forum.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...gal#Post1757871

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...ing#Post1432551

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...bai#Post1759123

I may add more as I find it so check back later to see.

Here is a new one. Take a look at page 3 of this post.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...ules#Post723786

Chemicals and rubbish (filler) can also be found in almost all plastic/rubber worms and similiar baits. I would think that if the DNR is going to let us keep decorating the bottom of our lakes with lead sinkers and jig-heads, they would be o.k. with a can of corn or two.

Quote:
Chemicals and rubbish (filler) can also be found in almost all plastic/rubber worms and similiar baits. I would think that if the DNR is going to let us keep decorating the bottom of our lakes with lead sinkers and jig-heads, they would be o.k. with a can of corn or two.

If you read the last link on the post above you will see the statment

Quote:
it is illegal to use game fish, goldfish, or carp for bait. This would mean that any fish food, corn, or other similar substance with these items in it could not be used for chumming.

With that statement you can see that it is OK to bait (Chum) corn as long as it has no game fish, gold fish or carp in it.

It then becomes a matter of littering. Which leads us to this statment.

Quote:
So what is a quantity of corn, fish food, or other similar substances that would be illegal? My answer is that it depends on the type of water body, current water quality, weather conditions, health of the fish, cumulative effects, etc. So, I can't tell you that a bucket of corn is ok, when under the right conditions it could cause a fish kill. Instead, it is an area of the law that we are considering clarifying as it relates to chumming.

So at the GTG if we all limit ourselfs to 2 cans of corn or so for this one event I don't see a problem with this. Unless we have 100 boat.

Back to the good stuff.

Tom M and I went out for a 3-1/2 hours today and caught 9 Carp. They did run a little smaller today with most in the 12lb range.

Picture015.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture017.jpg

12 lbs is as small as I have caught I this lake.

Great report and pics MD!!

12 lbs is as small as I have caught I this lake.

Hard to beat a statement like that!