• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

With the August GTG comming up I though it would be nice to throw some links together to show some tips for catching Carp.

The first part of this one shows how to tie a Hair Rig. The idea of the hair rig is to have as much hook exposed as possible.

This one shows them feeding. Watch as they spit the hook out and you will see why you want as much hook exposed as possible. The rig used on this video and the one before are made to set the hook for you. The hook hangs up in the carps mouth and as the carp try to back away from the hook the line pulls tight to the heavy non-slip sinker and the hook just bites deeper.

It looks like you could get alot of false alarms from the Carp running into your line.

I'll post this and look for more. If you have some to share please do.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Muddog

• PDOGG

• Team Otter

• carpmanjake

Thanks MD.

All, if you haven't already, get Saturday, August 22 on your calendar.

MD, have you ever tried using circle hooks with a hair rig?

Fished on a tight line would it be an effective way to set the hook?

Quote:
MD, have you ever tried using circle hooks with a hair rig?

I think a circle hook is just the opposite of what you want. Circle hook are made so they don't hang up Or to say it another way, circle hook are made to catch the lip of the fish as it swims off facing away from what ever pulls the line tight and sets the hook. Commercial fishermen use them on there long lines (Trot lines) so the fish don’t get gut hooked. It is much more efficient for the hook removers to remove a hook from the lip of a fish then it is to remove the hook from the gut of a fish. Time is money! I think something like a short shank, round bend, wide gap hook with a turned up eye is what you would want.

I'm not working as of right now (but that could change). So if any one would like to try for some Volney Carp post here and let me know. All you will need is a Bass or Walleye rod for fishing Carp and Bass and some corn on the cob (cut from the cob).

If any one would like to give it a try I'll post E-mail address and give you my phone #.

Muddog,

Maybe 1 night next week we can get after them carp! This week the focus is on bullies and cats. Ran into any 6-7" bullies lately ? Still have the same phone number?

how else you go about getting the floating schools with spinning gear?? ive usesa rapala with the tonguee broke off and that only seems to work when there are no jet skis on the lake.. any ideas???

Quote:
Muddog,

Maybe 1 night next week we can get after them carp! This week the focus is on bullies and cats. Ran into any 6-7" bullies lately ? Still have the same phone number?

Sounds good to me. I'll get it touch soon.

Quote:
how else you go about getting the floating schools with spinning gear?? ive usesa rapala with the tonguee broke off and that only seems to work when there are no jet skis on the lake.. any ideas???

I've had good luck with small swim jigs like the sassy shad. Carp feed down (because there mouth is on the bottom of there head) so having the hook on the top of the lure helps.

Find a lake with no jet skis on it.

There is a book called "Carp on the fly". It is a book about fly fishing for Carp but it will help any Carp fisherman come up with a good game plain.

I'm going out in a few minutes hopefully I'll get some pics.

thanks man!! i have nothing to do today and they are out every where!! i have a few of those for pan fish, try casting a floating jig at the school, plain hooks with lindy rig floats and some top water bass lueres maby plain hook with bread..

Quote:
thanks man!! i have nothing to do today and they are out every where!! i have a few of those for pan fish, try casting a floating jig at the school, plain hooks with lindy rig floats and some top water bass lueres maby plain hook with bread..

If the Carp are shallow (<12FOW) use corn! I use corn from a cob. I cut the corn off the cob, put it in a bag and add a few drops of ANISE Smelly Jelly. I place the corn on a hair rig with a #8 hook. A plain #8 hook with 2 or 3 kernels of corn will work also. Take a can of corn along to bait the area (I throw a hand full of corn in around my bait every 10 mins or so ). Cream style works for baiting also but don't get carried away with baiting the area. You could get sited for littering !!!

I went out to Volney today and had a nice one on for a few mins but the hook pulled loose.

Once again the one Carp pulled loose #$%# !

It Was Tom M's, fault smile. The wind was stronger then we like for Carp fishing so we did alot of other fishing. Bass fishing and Crappie fishing. If you went to Fox Lake for the GTG then you know how to catch Crappies on Volney. We also boated some nice Perch and Sunfish. Oh yea, Now we caught some nice Sheephead... A day late! I had the superbraid curse to the Bass fisherman bite me in the back side. I had the knot find it's way out of the eye of my Bass hook with a nice size Bass on the hook sick. It gets me once a year.

Here is a 18.5 inch Bass Tom M, boated. I had him hold it out so you could see it better. smile

SSCN003501.jpg

Now Tom M, Loves them Flukes!

If anyone would like to join me in some Carp/Bass fishing this week speak up. All you need to have is a can of corn and the ability to cast and retreave. If it is windy (<20mph) we will troll.

I'd Be interested in goin fishing with ya what night would work? i think im open everynight but friday and could just meet ya at the landing on volney? haven't targeted carp in a long long time!

would most likely be able to do tommorow eve! gotta talk to the wife to make sure if she is busy we have somone to watch the baby! will let you know tonight!

EK

To every rule there is an exception and today was an exception to that exception rule.??

I went out today to see how the morning Carp bite was. It was most excellent. Four Carp in all 3 in the 16lb class and the Mirror Carp went a tad over 18lbs. I couldn’t get anyone to help me reel in the Carp and help with the pics. So I did the best I could.

SSCN0045.jpg

SSCN0046.jpg

SSCN0049.jpg

SSCN0047.jpg

SSCN0048.jpg

I quit fishing after the fourth fish. Not because they stoped biting but because I need to go to Kato. Over 60lbs of fish in less then 3 hours. Not bad.

You would think it wouldn't be so hard to get someone to do this!

I'm still up for it MD! Tonight or tomorrow night after work around 1700 would be best.

If you have a rod you would like to catch one on bring it. Maybe a bobber stoper or two I think I'm out!

I can pick up whatever you need I'm not too far from RFO. Just the regular string and bead bobber stops? I have my cat rod with me now but I think I'll make a stop home to grab something a bit lighter.

A bit lighter would be fun!

I'm on my way out the door right now to get what I need But if you could get the string type that would be great.

I have every thing we should need. Even rods if you need one.

what are you going to be pre baiting the area with? i would like to get rid of the majority of my boilies. lol

Quote:
what are you going to be pre baiting the area with? i would like to get rid of the majority of my boilies. lol

Corn.

Mike (PDOGG) and I went out at 1700 today to see if the Carp bite was still on. I am pleased to say it was. I did forget my scale in the car so we didn’t weigh them but I think is is safe to say they were all over 15 lbs.

SSCN0065.jpg

SSCN0064.jpg

SSCN0066.jpg

the next two were a double!!

SSCN0069.jpg

SSCN0070.jpg

and the last one of the day.

SSCN0072.jpg

What a day. I boated 10 fish for over 150lbs.

What a blast! Thanks again Gary. If you enjoy catching big fish purely to catch big fish this is the way to go and Gary is the guy to show you how! This guy know's his carp about carp!

Awesome nice work guys! I would love to get out and do that sometime. Hope I can make the GTG.