• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm going to be making my first trip into Johnson Lake. I'm wondering if anyone here has done any camping on this lake and/or has been in recently fishing.

From the map I've got it looks like there are a few campsites here and probably at least one on Little Johnson as well. Appears to have some big walleyes and a decent smallmouth bass fishery.

I'm planning to portage a canoe back into the lake and stay for a few nights in September. I was going to rent a boat at the lone resort on the lake, but he told me he pulls out the first week of Sept.

In my minds eye, this lake seems like a pretty secluded beautiful lake to fish, but I've been fooled by my minds eye before smile

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hello,

It just happens I just got back from a weekend of campimg on Big Johnson Lake.

The trail is in excellent shape, you can easily pull a 14' boat down but I highly recommend a tilting trailer because coming out of the water is another story without one as I just found out.

When you go through the marsh, turn left and there are 3 islands. The one closest to the east shore, has a nice site.

Turn left around them and there is a beautiful site on the mainland on your left. With that site to your left and by where you should turn left to head towards little Johnson creek, there is another island in the center. It has a picnic table and a toilet which was clean. There are 2 other small Islands in front of the campsite on mainland that you cannot camp on, too rocky and steep. I would recommend any of the three places but on a windy day take the mainland site.

Now for the fishing, Fishing was excellent for Pike & Smallies. We caught some beatuful Pike. I only got one walleye, was 5bs 13oz. The mayfly hatch is just about done at Johnson which is what I think made the Walleye fishing tough. I didn't go in Little Johnson because it was too windy.

You should have a great time here, it is just like being on Kab with less traffic. I have fished here mainly in the winter and found fishing for walleyes to be good. You don't get a lot, but they are big. There is also lake trout in the lake.

Well good luck, and post back how your trip went.

Thanks very much Hibbingite,

Sounds like you had a nice trip. That was exactly the info I was looking for. I was a little worried that it would be hard to find available campsites, but from your explanation I can see that there are at least quite a few options there. The mainland site sounds like it may be the best fit for me if its available that day.

That's the kind of walleye fishing I enjoy. I'd rather catch a few nice ones instead of lots of smaller ones. That's what I like about Little Long Lake, a couple of big ones lurking in that small lake.

Did you fish any of the deeper water or did you stick to the islands/points/and shoreline?

I'll get a post on here when I get back to let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

I have fished Johnson, Little Johnson and Spring Lake. You should enjoy your trip. They are very pretty lakes and you enter at the very end of the road. The hike in with a canoe should be a nice trail but a little long. If you take some left turns out of the entry bay you should find some nice camp sites on Johnson. Had good success on a windy day once on a back (keep making left turns) bay. Nice rock to jump off near the entry in Spring Lake if you have kids. I am going into the BWCA this year in August but would consider Johnson again for sure. Have been about 5 times. Well worth the trip and you will probably see very few people in September.

• 2 weeks later...