• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wife an I are looking to rent a seasonal slip on North Shore for a 30ft boat. We are 90% inclined toward Knife River Marina, they have fair prices and fishing looks close.

The contender is Silver Bay, does anybody know which of the 2 has better salmon/trout fishing ? We considered Barkers island but it takes approx 9 miles to reach the northern cooler waters, and cost of gas is not cheap.

Any other options ?

BTW yes, you are all invited aboard as soon as I get boat up there grin

silver bay has an awsome marina. some very big lakers are caught straight out 7 or 8 miles from there.

Silver Bay would be my choice if it wasn't 45 minutes farther north. Since we plan to spend a lot of weekends, travel time is an issue, unfortunately. But I can always be convinced in favor of it..... smile

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

30'fter, you must have gotten a new boat Val.

Its a mater of learning the patterns off any port.

The Charter Captains on this end of the lake can scratch up fish all season long. Sure, lake trout will make up much of the bag as the seasons swings into summer and the North Shore gets into a coho bite but just as the warm water settles into Duluth it'll make its way up the shore too. That is the price you pay with a bigger boat when you can't follow the cold water breaks, you can't follow it around. So when the fishing is hot here on top, its a dead sea up North unless you get down to stable temps and hit the local lake trout. Anyway its a pick your poison deal as far as home ports go.

Duluth is the closet drive for you, why not there? You should rarely have to go more than 5-6 miles out to find fish all year. If your interested I think the Palucci side of the MN slip is fairly reasonable and you could also check with Mierhoff side there too, althought I think that's about $1350 now for the season. Lakehead cost more and the only other option close to the lake is Harbor Cove or Barkers.

I take it you must have gotten a new boat; congrats! If I'd know your were looking for one I would have sold you mine it comes with a trailer that big!!!! grin

I agree with Frank Valv. For what it's worth, I have never been to the Silverbay marina, but hear it is very nice. Some friends of ours slipped their boat there a few years ago and said they would never do it again. Reason, they could hardly ever get their boat out because of the waves. She told me the openess of that area leaded to larger waves. At least in town (Duluth) they could usually work around that factor. BC

Thanks guys.

Frank, yes, we've got a new (to us) Thompson 288 which is a 29ft x 11ft beam boat which puts me with an oversized load haul but still possible to do by myself. Kathy and I were looking for several years to find the layout, and size like this.

We consider moving it to Algoma or Keewanee WI for few days during the year. Mobility is also a factor. My all time favorite is the Trojan F32, but with 14ft beam it puts boat on special transport and that costs a fortune.

Where are the Palucci and Mierhoff ?

They share the real estate for the Minnesota Slip. The docakage is right there at the William A. Irvin tour ship in Canal Park. Nice and close to the bridge to get out to the fishing!