• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trout streams near Ely?

I want to target some stream trout in the area. I'll be coming from Crane Lake, so if anyone knows of anywhere to start looking for some tream trout between hear and Ely i'd really appreciate it. Even if anyone knows of any North of Ely, closer to Crane that'd be great! I have a 16ft Lund or a set of waders, which ever works out best!

hah i think you'll be using the waders! I know there's a few around but i dont think they get hit much. the dnr website has a map of northern minnesota streams - check it out

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/trout_streams/northeast.html

Its mostly the north shore, but there are certainly more streams than are marked on this map. my advice: go ask around at local baitshops, go exploring, and have fun bushwhacking!

Most of the trout streams are east of Ely. I once heard that almost every stream between Ely and the north shore will hold some brookies somewhere. Can't guarantee that, but I know streams such as the Dunka, Mitawan, Little Isabella, Inga Creek are all considered designated trout streams. Most are difficult to fish during most of their lengths because of brush covering most of the streams. I like to fly fish and have tried some with only limited luck.

dont know much on the brookies, but if you want some nice rainbow trout look at a lake called Tofte. amazing amounts of rainbow trout and splake. i have never had bad luck on that lake and never been disappointed on the size of them either.